Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PSA: Grammar
I support enrolling everyone into Mercalan schools, so they may be forced to learn the language of worship to our Great White Lady!
Munch
I mean, the first part is just us agreeing with each other.

I don't see this as a wide spread problem as you do, as must people seem to cling to the English language rather well. And, yes, people have gotten yelled at by a GM for speaking like they would OOCly, but I don't recommend making it your personal crusade to bother a GM every time someone uses "ur" instead of "your".

To be quite fair, Raynlyn, your opinion can come off as a bit strong. I believe it is you who refuses to RP with anyone who use the above example of spelling mishaps. Which, in my honest opinion, is quite small in comparison to certain characters that are quite Mary Sue-ish.

Lemme break it to down to you like this:

1. This thread is pointless.

A single example and your opinion won't better everybody in their roleplaying abilities. Not only would they have to go through many grammar rules, but they also have to find their "writer's voice". I mean, most people can tell who I play due to the way I write actions and description and not just because all my characters are lesbian loli catgirls. Of course, changing this "voice" can also be helpful when I write more serious characters.

2. It's only a relative problem.

As I've stated before, I rarely see this in IC unless it's a new person. I have to give them the benefit of the doubt, because they might be, like, 12 or something. Or not really into roleplaying as the person who spends a paragraph speaking to someone else.
(of course Nyah is an exception to this rule, but she has a lot of other, bigger problems aside from poor grammar)

3. [strike]Mercala sucks[/strike] Good Grammar =/= Good Writer

A point I like to reiterate. No matter how many synonyms or big long words you can fit into a single sentence, or how many obscure punctuation marks you like to throw around to make yourself sound smart; it falls flat on its face when introduced to a "casual" roleplaying environment such as SL2. A thesaurus and dictionary won't make you a better writer if your words are bland as fuck. I'd rather have a good writer with poor English abilities as long as we have fun roleplaying.

It's not that I disagree with you, Ranylyn, I believe that decent grasp of grammar is needed to properly communicate yourself. While, at the same time, building a wall and telling them to stay on their side because they don't meet your expectations is a lil' overboard. Experience helps, no matter how bad we are or where we start.

"Ranylyn" Wrote:If you truly do not want to type properly, then please don't partake in IC interactions. You can still play the game OOCly and people are fine with that.
[Image: 728daabd1d06463d4458817a55e80d3f09da5d88.gif]
            "Nothing good ever comes of her laughter. And she's always laughing."
[Image: ae1249ba537fe4f2c0b55eeb8655f8744028e0f7.gif]
People don't speak with proper sentence structure.

People do speak with proper spelling and punctuation.
It is definitely a very small scale problem in SL2, for sure. But still one worth addressing.

As for my opinion being strong? I'm 27. I've been active online for my entire adolescence and adult life thus far. Quite honestly, I'm simply fed up with some things about the way people act, this being one of them. Of course I'll have a strong opinion. I've had people talking back to me about suggesting (Usually with a "please" and explaining that it makes it easier for others to read) that they say You instead of U and the like for literally over half my life.

I'm not trying to lord my age over anyone, for the record. I'm simply stating this for context.

What I'm getting at is, it never gets any easier to read. It's a simple matter of respect. If people want me to read what they say, I want them to write it properly. Typos? Accidents happen. Occasionally missing punctuation? Accidents happen. Constantly using 13374p34k? I'm not going to put in the effort to decipher their mangled gibberish if they don't put in the "effort" (leet takes more effort than proper language, btw) to communicate their point, end of story. And neither should anyone else.

Granted, I'm just reaching for leet as an easy example. This thread is mostly about the commas and "r u" and "i c" anyways. I've only seen like three instances ever of IC leet in SL2. One of which was recently, granted, but that's not the main focus here.
*loud burp*
I've never seen anyone in my life use leet speak in character, nor talk like 'ur my best friend jill gdfi', please take a step down from your horse and please don't tell people that if they can't type properly and grammatically then they should just stay to OOC cause that's just being an elitist asshole about things.
[Image: zo2BdSr.pngp]
There's nothing elitist about expecting people to communicate like human beings. I'm literally asking for ELEMENTARY LEVEL grammar.

I did say it's a very uncommon problem. Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. This thread was intended as something to link people to. Meaning that it's pointless for me to continue to argue this because those people will just latch onto the posts defending them. So good job with that.
*loud burp*