Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Core System: Economics
It’s been established long ago that the core system of SL2 is its combat system, but I believe that it would benefit immensely from having more than one core system. As it stands the combat system is impressively complex, but just about every other system is basic and un-engaging. This poses a problem when a player wants to change their focus to keep things from getting stale, but there’s nothing interesting to change focus to. I believe it’s time to take steady steps towards making other central systems as engaging as the combat system itself. I’ll be dedicating this thread to economics, and if this is well-received then I may suggest more in the future (but not immediately, because this takes a lot of time).

Right now the murai system is handled in a very basic way: Murai is initially gained through dungeons, selling items to NPCs, and quests (but mostly dungeons) and used for repairs, upgrades, guilds, etcetera. While these things are fine, they’re not enough to prevent murai from piling up, and putting in the effort to become rich doesn’t feel like as much of an accomplishment as it should since past a certain point murai is effectively useless. In this case I believe it’s better to take baby steps, so this is a building block suggestion that I hope can open the door to great things in the future.

Concept: To make a system that allows players to make a financial impact in different areas, creates a more alive and interesting environment, provides additional murai sources, and introduces and promotes further uses of murai aside from buying items.

How it works: Firstly, each town/city/etc would need a “treasury.” Far from just being a useless variable identical to the amount of murai the area holds, it would instead be a percentage indicator of the area’s current wealth. This would drop by 1% every IC day (subject to adjustment if it ever seems too fast or too slow). An area with a wealth level that’s high will function normally, but if an area’s wealth level drops too low, poverty-stricken citizens may occasionally wander about with increased frequency (easily recognizable by ragged clothing/robes). Of course, there are many special events that could be tied in with the increasing or decreasing of this value, so there’s a lot of room to get creative. Wealth level would be increased by 0.001% for every 1 mura spent in the area (essentially making 1% equal to 1,000 murai). Black beast attacks, as well as future negative events, could decrease the affected area’s wealth by 1% when they occur.

There should be a way to feed murai directly to any area’s treasury (not unlike donations to Hikari) for the rich to dump their murai off on, and someone who donates the most to an area in an IC month could receive a special reward through l-net’s gift function. If linking each shop NPC to a specific area is (understandably) too much of a hassle, this could also be the primary/only method of increasing an area’s wealth.

On the subject of additional sources of murai, dungeons are nice to have, but sometimes people just don’t feel like killing monsters for a living. I believe that certain NPCs should give you simpler tasks to complete that reward murai based on how competent you are at the given task. Take Risu, for example. Rather than having her prepare all of the food herself all of the time, she could have a conversation topic where she hires the character to help her fill an order. She would then give them special ingredients that can be used to make a special (unusable, though it could still give exp to the craft) food item through cooking to be given back to her. The murai reward would scale to the character’s cooking level, and this task would only be performable once per in-game day. Other NPCs like blacksmiths could give similar tasks.

Why this would be beneficial: This adds a dynamic way to set areas apart to keep them from feeling stagnate, giving us a more immersive world. An area could fall into poverty, but all it would take is a few motivated characters to change that. Not to mention the interesting consequences that would happen to a town if its wealthy benefactors were jailed, kidnapped, or met untimely ends. That in itself adds a completely new angle to role-play. It also has a lot of potential to be built upon in the future, meaning the game itself will come closer to reaching its full potential.

Feedback is of course both encouraged and appreciated from the community as a whole. I’m unsure of how feasible this is to implement, but it would certainly make the game more enjoyable for me.

Edit: Just a minor typo correction.
[Image: 5a7229cbed.png]
I fully support this idea, it would pretty much make the game even more attractive than it is now.
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=8459553]
I'm down for it.
[Image: Y8FFQj7.jpg]
^Mercala's Favorite Apparently
[Image: To2mAPS.png](heh)
In addition, perhaps certain NPCs would buy certain things from you, rather than just Zeo and the other pawn shop person, and at varying prices. A few examples:

-Sell anything to pawn shops, at a daily varying price of 30%-80% market value per item (rather than the 50% it is now), so some items may be worth more than others some days .

-Sell weapons or armor to weapon shops. Namely this idea since Michelle is having to send all weapons off for soldiers, she could send off high-quality ones, and keep low or average quality ones in the shop, since something is better than nothing. -10% value per negative quality, +10% value per positive quality. This could also interpret into a blacksmith apprenticeship, if the blacksmith you were working with just gave you a random weapon/armor name that you needed to craft for them, then they could still pay in the same manner.

-Giving Cursed or Doomed weapons to Hikari or the Church, for them to bless or get rid of in whatever manner they see fit. Also bringing Godly or Holy weapons. This could increase wealth by giving whoever the Church works with (or however it works) a job. So could possibly increase Lispool wealth.

-The idea with Risu is perfect, and should go for all food people.

-Innkeepers could have you tidy up rooms (double click, wait, bed made, floor clean, etc), food, or furniture (via an untradeable quest item that allows house crafting, which is returned upon quest completion, or not).

These things could also increase wealth by about 0.01% (10 murai), since free labor in a few cases.

A more interactive economy sounds really awesome. though.
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: She left me for WoW?! THIS IS BULLSHIT

Quote:Underwhelmed green-haired girl shouts "BITING EACH OTHER IS NOT A LIZARD SEX THING."
All my yes. Maybe there could even be a job for Tarson at the arena. Where you kidnap special monsters from permanent dungeons to give him for training. I forget where he said he was from, but maybe the murai could be sent to that town. Or the arena could even have its own economy.
[Image: latest?cb=20150618145649]
Before any of this comes into play, one major key part of the game needs to change. Crafting materials need to be gathered outside of dungeons. I'm not going to explain why, but it's a necessary, especially in the crafting world.
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: I did literally nothing and have never played YGO in my life.
OOC Black Chaos X: OOC Devourer Of Souls: no one activated zera ritual
OOC Blissey: HHHAHAHAAA
OOC Devourer Of Souls: That's fake.

Tengen Toppa [Image: 2zolp55.jpg] !!!