Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Korvara's content, what'cha think?
I'm at a bit of a crossroads here and could use some input from you all on this, fellas.

I'm curious to know what you think would make for 'good content' for each nation. I'm keeping this open-ended, so it can be anything that comes to mind. I'm thinking of using these ideas as inspiration for future events and maybe the other folks from the team can make use of those too, but nothing too generic—like the Watcher traveling across Korvara in clockwork fashion. Let's aim for something more specific and tailored for each possible environment, like "Geladyne needs more inside wars." "Telegrad could use more social events." "Duyuei should have more non-behemoth hunts." or "Meiaquar needs more mafia-related activities."

- Meiaquar
- Telegrad
- Geladyne
- Duyuei
- Wanderer's Vale
- Fairview
- Worsong Canyon
- The Tundras
- Unaffiliated

So, what do you think? What kind of content would fit each of Korvara's nations and environments? The stage's all yours.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I do think for Telegrad, events should be more focused on roleplay than combat; after all, Telegrad's supposed to be a relatively safe-ish place, but constant combat oriented events make it look like everyone who doesn't live in the capital is in a constant state of danger. Fae shaboingery, disruptive but ultimately non-hostile cryptids skulking about, magic forest shenanigans like little forest gnomes or something would be preferable to just Another Necromancer or comically evil bandits that barely act like people, or something. I see a lot of people describing, both in and out of character, Telegrad as being a crime-ridden, dangerous place outside the capital, which really doesn't fit the overall mood of the nation in my opinion.
[Image: orDF4cJ.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes the REAL Minos Prime's post:
  • Snake
For the Vale, goblin trouble, wildlife attacks, and minor supernatural stuff like the ghost appearances would be nice to see. It being more or less a frontier town away from the (relative) safety of major cities and close to the badlands and spoooky central ruins, as well as a smaller settlement without a big standing army, would make smaller problems like that more fitting.

It'd also go together well with its state of being somewhat of a new player's haven, with more down to earth, beginner hero jobs compared to huge, end of the island/world threats like the watcher, behemoths, deadly zombie virus, so on. It's less pressure and feels more acceptable to be able to try things out, make mistakes, and maybe even fail with smaller stakes like that. It'd also help give contrast to the bigger threats, to make them feel more meaningful.
Geladyne should make you risk your life for more books.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
We need a war

But also, less monster of the week attacking nation y, and more runoff from telegrads constant farming making the land downstream in duyuei less fertile causing crops yields to drop, ect

Conflict conflict conflict
WAAAAAAAAAARRR (For Geladyne.)
SHEEEEEEEEEEESH
Its less about themes to me, but more about the style of how events are run. I do not like the current style and never really join because of it.
What I would like to see is:
- Events for smaller groups, that play out till the end with that group, if needed over more than one session (Like 3-6 people or so, that are thematically involved)
- Events that are not scripted from A - Z (minor simple roll d20, with minor impacts do not really count to me), but allow for the players to make decisions and shape the story, more D&D styled
- Generally a Higher Focus on Player RP, rather than the eventmin trying to quickly finish the sidestory, or beating the monster of the week
-Also no events that overstay their welcome over multiple months where nothing is really progressing (Or the event dies somewhere in the middle, I see alot of dead event spots across Korvara and no one cleans up after them.)

I would just like to see things where RP has more Focus, its very difficult to have that in events where 30 people are in, people just get to comment or get a few lines related to whats going on with the event in, but not really much between the characters. I miss that a little.

Also I lied, I would also like to see story lines in Meiaquar that are generally morally grey or black even.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shujin's post:
  • Miller
Speaking as an EM. 

I think the content of an event really just depends of the author intent and the surrounding around.
I have a lot of event i wanna do that i have in head but never really had the time to engage in. 

For Duyuei, for Geladyne, for Telegrad, for Meiaquar. 

On my plans right now, i'd like to make an event that evolve strongly depending of the players interactions and rewarding the players involving themselves to it.
Meaning the event is open to public, but the players investing efforts on it will be rewarded accordingly. 

And the context of that event, well, depends of the location as suggested by Snake. 

I personally believe that one place of Korvara is not bound to only one theme. 
A korvara place is more of a BOARD with a THEMATIC which you can use to mold a scenario. 

So to me it's not "what type of event should happen on this particular place ?" 
but more of "How can i use the thematic and lore of the place to construct a story ?" 

I use nation's lore made by the player of course.
But I also don't hesitate to use the lore set by Dev as well. (After discussion with them of course)

I also need to point out. 
The story of an event is not necessarily made out by the EM running it. 
Some of the event you can see on Korvara can be request made by other players and in that case, there's a great chance that the story of that event follows the player request. 

---------------------------

Bouncing on one point said by Shujin :

Quote:- Events that are not scripted from A - Z (minor simple roll d20, with minor impacts do not really count to me), but allow for the players to make decisions and shape the story, more D&D styled

- Generally a Higher Focus on Player RP, rather than the eventmin trying to quickly finish the sidestory, or beating the monster of the week

When I did say i want to do something on those lines. Here the truth :

It's a huge pain. 
Because SL2 is not a tabletop. 

If it was, i'd have no problem. Sure i can adapt the lore and settings to the players decision by myself.

But in Korvara. If it goes too far off rails. You gotta make sure you don't overstep on other plans. 
You gotta let the nation leader aware if it becomes big. 
And maybe, MAYBE, get the GMs approval as well. 

It's a lot of contact. It's a lot of planning. It's a lot of compromise and it's a lot of stress, for the EM and for the leaders. 
Yes it's stressfull for the leaders, because they are not the bad guys here. There's no bad guys. 
Their worries and demands are understable, because even if it's a game, leaders are held to a standard. 
Believe it or not, but when an event where the nation leader has NO INVOLVEMENT AT ALL goes bad. It still falls right on their responsibilities, would be IC or OOC. (i've seen it).
And at that point. The small group is not possible to be kept. 
Because if the event makes too much noise. The nation will acknowledge it.
If the nation acknowledge it, the leader does.
If the leader doesn't respond, the people, ICly or OOCly, calls for irresponsabilities.
If the leader respond, Guards steps on the event, it cause OOC tensions. 

It's a pain.  

And you may say "well, it doesn't need to be that big." 

I made an event, where a regular bear chased two players.
The two players ran to Geladyne borders where NPC guards are present. 
I made the error to ping in the wrong place. 

It almost became a shitshow. It was a regular bear. 

I don't speak by theories. 
I speak of experience. 

---------------------------

And now i bounce back to the request of war event. 

And there's already been TWO WAR EVENT in Korvara. 
one being Meiaquar vs Fairview.
the second being Geladyne and Meiaquar. 

those two war event
ABSOLUTELY DID NOT GO WELL. 

Perhaps it was not noticeable by some. But those two wars cause a LOT of tensions OOCly 
between players
between EMs
between GMs
And even Dev had to step in at some point. 

And the funny thing is that, in one of those two war. I had no involvement. ICl or OOC.
I had no character playing in it.
I was not in charge of the war event.
I was never contacted on it. 

And I still got shot by a lost bullet in OOC. No one noticed it cause i kept my mouth shut and didn't wanted to add more than there is.
But it almost got me considering quitting the game. 

You think you're prepared for war event.
We're not.

PS : 
I may sound a bit harsh here. 
But truly, i don't hold hostility to anyone. 
Nobody is wrong on their statement or demands on that matter.
[-] The following 3 users Like lalchi's post:
  • Collector, Fern, Rendar
we do not need a war the last one was bad
[Image: chad-mewing.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Toffee's post:
  • Collector
No more wars. PLEASE. Player vs player conflict is never well done ESPECIALLY on that scale. I've had to deal with both the 'wars' on korvara and I only ever had fun when i was fighting a PvE encounter. You know, not doing the PvP aspect?
[-] The following 2 users Like matthewmwps's post:
  • Collector, Toffee