Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subtle Heal Cut
Can healing reduction passives such as Vampire's Stillness, Darkness and Homunculi's Homunculi physique be a lot more subtle? Lemme explain:

I think that when someone is healed, it should display the correct amount of healing in your chat log (So if mass graft goes out, everyone heals for 200 HP), but the Homunculi very subtly and conspicuously only heals for 170 HP, this would be a lot harder to notice and would result in much less of this:

[Image: Y0sIq0x.png]
[Image: zo2BdSr.pngp]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Autumn's post:
  • zericosmic
(09-27-2024, 10:08 PM)Autumn Wrote: Can healing reduction passives such as Vampire's Stillness, Darkness and Homunculi's Homunculi physique be a lot more subtle? Lemme explain:

I think that when someone is healed, it should display the correct amount of healing in your chat log (So if mass graft goes out, everyone heals for 200 HP), but the Homunculi very subtly and conspicuously only heals for 170 HP, this would be a lot harder to notice and would result in much less of this:

[Image: Y0sIq0x.png]
Considering I had someone, actively, metagame and go 'ur secret is safe with me homunculus' because i wasn't receiving the 60 HP **regen** or the Healing Aqua regen fully from Aquamancer. I'd really rather just. The healing cut just be removed and them having just the 10% Hp cut. (Or just have the log outputs lie).
As a Homunculus enjoyer, I agree on this, I literally just always oocly know someone's a Homunculus just by reading chat but I never bring it up unless I can see it through IC means. Or Feel it... Given Amalgama (Including mine) are just walking spirit bags...
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
I don't understand how it's metagaming? If you cast a healing spell on someone and the effect isn't nearly as pronounced as it should be, it could be ICly inferred that the target person has something going on with them, whether vampirism, being a homunculus, or having some freaky curse. Not that I'm opposed for there being a way to mask it, just that I'm confused at the justification.
[Image: 7y3oPuY.png]
Because they didn't cast the healing spell on me. Infact, in most cases, no one's casting anything healing on me. They just see that my regeneration is lower than my party members (from the same spell) and infer 'Oh. UR A HOMUNCULI!" immediately from that.

Which is dumb. And metagaming. It's taking out-of-character information (Health healed), and immediately conflating that to one of three races (because they can see I don't have a parasite via double clicking me).
It's not out-of-character information to notice someone is affected less by healing magic than others being healed as well.

If we were in a club, and all club members had their left arms broken (for the tax benefit in this hypothetical county), and someone broke into our club, cast healing on all of us, and all of our arms were healed except yours, I'd be wondering why. If there was a in-universe reason for that (for example, the knowledge that homunculi heal less than others do) then it wouldn't be a jump in logic to assume that's why it happened.

I really can't see how it's metagaming for people to see what is happening with their IC eyes infront of them and make assumptions based off of their in-universe knowledge, especially when there can only be so many situations of what could cause said lack of healing.
(09-29-2024, 01:30 AM)Sawrock Wrote: It's not out-of-character information to notice someone is affected less by healing magic than others being healed as well.

If we were in a club, and all club members had their left arms broken (for the tax benefit in this hypothetical county), and someone broke into our club, cast healing on all of us, and all of our arms were healed except yours, I'd be wondering why. If there was a in-universe reason for that (for example, the knowledge that homunculi heal less than others do) then it wouldn't be a jump in logic to assume that's why it happened.

I really can't see how it's metagaming for people to see what is happening with their IC eyes infront of them and make assumptions based off of their in-universe knowledge, especially when there can only be so many situations of what could cause said lack of healing.

Quote:- (Would healing a vampire and having the effects be lesser be something you can notice?) It would probably be noticeable, although there are other reasons that the magic would be less effective. Strong magical resistance, environmental reasons, maybe the priest is having an off-day, wounds that seem more severe than they actually are.

This much is true, sure. And it would be more convenient to you if your intention is to point out who and what heals for less HP is not what it seems, so how about I put it like this instead. 

The above mentioned chat log still would lie to everyone else in the fight like my original suggestion, however the person who healed the Homunculi or Vampire would get an additional message printed out in their chat log something similar to like: "Something felt a little off there." or "The restorative effect wasn't as effective as it seemed."

This message only being visible to the healer would solve the metagame-like knowledge of everyone else in the fight becoming aware of the Homunculi or Vampire instantaneously, while granting the healer the avenue in which to determine whether or not they would want to confront the Homunculi or Vampire in IC, whether in Secret or by blatantly exposing them.

Is this acceptable?
[Image: zo2BdSr.pngp]
Oh, I'm glad you brought up that Dev quote, that definitely makes things easier to justify in regards to the metagaming argument, even if I don't fully agree in the example given (as there was immediate other examples of comparison, that being the other party members healed).

I personally don't play a homunculus, so whether it's masked from everyone including the healer, masked from everyone except the healer, or masked to no one, it makes little difference to me. But if homunculus players such as yourself and Rendar would find the change you suggest more palatable, I'm all for it.
I feel like if the healing was cut by a huge percent, I'd get the broken arm argument, but as it is in game, it's like everyone's broken arm would be broken, all would get healed, but one guys would be a bit sore afterwards. And somehow everyone would know.
That's a fair point to make as well. But then we have to ask ourselves, to what degree would it be noticeable? Obviously a difference of healing 1 HP wouldn't be, but anything above a certain threshold is going to be in a more subjective than objective territory.

For a ridiculous example, someone might say that if homunculi take 15% less healing, and you have ten broken fingers, then you're healing eight and a half fingers compared to a full ten. One person may think 15% is noticeable, and one may not. For a less extreme example, someone healing all of their bruise compared to having some small amount of bruise left may be hard to notice, but not impossible.

I just can't view it as metagaming when it could easily be viewed through the lens of being in-character, unless we want to add rules for how much health has to be healed in comparison for it to be noticeable, and then that's getting a bit ridiculous in itself; a mindset like that can cause rule bloat.