Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covering the Bases (Base Class Skill Suggestions)
A long list of ideas I've been thinking up for new Skills for Base Classes.

This is mostly because there isn't a lot of variation between what Skills players get for Base Classes, this is especially true for Soldier which only has a total of 10 Skills.

The main goal I had in mind when coming up with this list was to make it so each Base class had at least 15 Skills. (Sorry, mages, you already have 19 so you don't get any.)

Soldier (9 Skill Ideas)

Offensive:

Criss Cross
Sword Skill. Slash twice in a X-shape pattern in the direction you are facing. This deals Slash physical damage equal to 50% of your STR, 50% of your SKI, Weapon Power and a bonus based on Rank to all enemies in the area. If an enemy is in the center of the attack, this deals an extra 25% damage to them.

Rank 1: Learn Skill, 16FP, +3 Power
Rank 2: 15FP, +6 Power
Rank 3: 14FP, +9 Power, +1 Area Range
Rank 4: 13FP, +12 Power
Rank 5: 12FP, +15 Power, +1 Area Range

Revolution
Sword Skill. An aggressive attack for those that need to overcome unfavourable odds. Performs a basic attack, if it hits an opponent that has more HP than you, it deals a large amount of bonus damage based on Rank, however your weapon's Durability is reduced by 2 points.

Rank 1: 4M, 7FP, Bonus Damage: 10
Rank 2: 9FP, Bonus Damage: 20
Rank 3: 11FP, Bonus Damage: 30
Rank 4: 13FP, Bonus Damage: 40
Rank 5: 15FP, Bonus Damage: 50

Grand Lance
Spear Skill. Elemental Compatible. Performs a basic attack that deals bonus damage to all enemies in a straight line 3 tiles long. If you're under the effect of Charge, you gain a bonus to Hit equal to Rank*4 and will move along with the line and be positioned 1 tile past the end of it.

Blazing (Creates Cinders. With 'Charge', instead inflicts Burn on enemies.)
Freezing (Creates Ice Sheets. With 'Charge', instead inflicts Slow on enemies.)
Quaking (Bonus Damage. With 'Charge', this bonus Damage is doubled.)
Raging (Increases the Range of the Line by 3 tiles. With 'Charge', the bonus to Hit is doubled.)
Swift (Bonus Critical. With 'Charge', this bonus Critical is doubled.)

Rank 1: 16FP, +2 Power
Rank 2: 15FP, +4 Power
Rank 3: 14FP, +6 Power
Rank 4: 13FP, +8 Power
Rank 5: 12FP, +10 Power

Hammer Drop
Axe Skill. A brute force method to dealing with a well-guarded opponent. Performs a basic attack that deals Blunt damage and bonus damage based on Rank, if it connects on a Guarding opponent, they will lose their Guard and are instead inflicted with Guard Break (LV = Rank*5) for 2 Rounds.

Rank 1: 16FP, +3 Power
Rank 2: 14FP, +6 Power
Rank 3: 12FP, +9 Power
Rank 4: 10FP, +12 Power
Rank 5: 8FP, +15 Power

Support:

Static Shock
Nature Spell

Imbues the target with an electrical charge. This increases the target's Critical based on Rank for 3 Rounds.

When cast a second time, this unleashes an electrical discharge, dealing magical Lightning damage to enemies within 3 tiles equal to their Critical (more specifically SKI/2 + LUC/2 + Critical Modifiers). The second cast costs no FP.

Rank 1: 8FP, +4 Critical
Rank 2: 10FP, +8 Critical
Rank 3: 12FP, +12 Critical
Rank 4: 14FP, +16 Critical
Rank 5: 16FP, +20 Critical, +1 Duration

Passive:

Auto-Charge
Requires Rank 1 Charge

Well trained Soldiers are always prepared to charge into the front lines. You begin each battle with the 'Charge' effect for free.

Rank 1: Learn skill.
Rank 2: Equipping this skill does not take up a Skill Pool slot.

Innate:

Charging Strike
Requires Rank 1 Charge

Using the momentum from a Charge to carry you makes your attacks all the more dangerous. While Charging, you gain an increase in Damage with your Melee Weapon Attacks and Soldier Skills based on Rank.

Rank 1: +2 Damage
Rank 2: +4 Damage
Rank 3: +6 Damage
Rank 4: +8 Damage
Rank 5: +10 Damage

Weapon Discipline

Soldiers are taught the importance of properly maintaining their weapon, a broken sword leads to a broken Soldier. Whenever you Attack, there is a chance based on your Rank for your Weapon to not lose a point of Durability.

Rank 1: 10%
Rank 2: 20%
Rank 3: 30%
Rank 4: 40%
Rank 5: 50%

Shieldbearer

For a Soldier, proper shield handling is an essential skill, it can mean the difference between life and death on the battlefield. When equipped with a Shield, you gain a bonus to DEF and RES.

Rank 1: +1 DEF, RES
Rank 2: +2 DEF, RES
Rank 3: +3 DEF, RES

Rogue (4 Skill Ideas)

Offensive:

Fluttering Hummingbird
Dagger Skill

Can also be used by weapons with the 'Fan' Sub-Type. Each hit requires an accuracy check, if a hit connects, it deals unresistable physical Slash Damage equal to the Weapon's Power.

The number of hits performed is based on Rank.

If you are equipped with two Daggers (or Fans), this performs additional strikes also based on Rank, using the off-hand Weapon for those strikes.

Rank 1: 4M, 20FP, 2 Hits
Rank 2: 18FP, 2 Hits
Rank 3: 2 Hits (+1 Bonus Hit)
Rank 4: 16FP, 2 Hits (+1 Bonus Hit)
Rank 5: 2 Hits (+2 Bonus Hits)

Flying Merganser
Dagger Skill

Can also be used by weapons with the 'Fan' Sub-Type. Swoop down at the target like a bird, striking them from behind and returning. This moves behind a target within tiles based on Rank and performs a basic attack with a bonus to Hit before returning to your original location. This cannot be used if there is no available space behind the target.

Rank 1: 14FP, 2 Range, +8 Hit
Rank 2: 13FP, 3 Range, +11 Hit
Rank 3: 12FP, 4 Range, +14 Hit
Rank 4: 11FP, 5 Range, +17 Hit
Rank 5: 10FP, 6 Range, +20 Hit

Utility:

Spin Around
Spin the target around, forcing their back to you.

Rank 1: Learn skill, 2M.

Hand Trigger

Passive: Your traps will not trigger when stepped on.
Active: All of your set traps activate at once, applying their effects to all enemies within their effective Range.

Rank 1: Learn skill, 0M.

Curate (7 Skill Ideas)

Offensive:

Holy Cross
Requires Rank 3 Holy Arrow
Mercalan Spell

Deals Light Damage to enemies in a cross shaped pattern 4 tiles long surrounding the user. The width of the cross shape can be changed with the + and - keys, can be expanded twice but the FP cost increases with each expansion.

Rank 1: 18FP, WIL+6
Rank 2: 19FP, WIL+9
Rank 3: 20FP, WIL+12
Rank 4: 21FP, WIL+15
Rank 5: 22FP, WIL+18

Support:

Pacify
Mercalan Spell

Causes the target within 4 Range to be Pacified for 3 Rounds, it won't act aggressively to you or your allies.

(They won't move closer to you and won't attack unless you are within it's attack range, as if you were Sneaking, the Pacify effect does not work on 'boss monsters' or player characters.)

This also inflicts Hesitation of LV based on Rank.

Rank 1: 16FP, LV: 3
Rank 2: 15FP, LV: 6
Rank 3: 14FP, LV: 9
Rank 4: 13FP, LV: 12
Rank 5: 12FP, LV: 15

Regeneration
Mercalan Spell

Grants a healing boon that works slowly on a target ally, restoring their health each Round. Lasts 3 Rounds.

Rank 1: Learn Skill, 8FP, Regen: 8
Rank 2: 10FP, Regen: 11
Rank 3: 12FP, Regen: 14, +1 Duration
Rank 4: 14FP, Regen: 17
Rank 5: 16FP, Regen: 20, +1 Duration

Fortify
Mercalan Spell

Fills a target ally with enhanced resilience, increasing their DEF and RES for the duration. Lasts 3 rounds.

Rank 1: Learn Skill, 4FP, DEF/RES Bonus: +2
Rank 2: 6FP, DEF/RES Bonus: +3
Rank 3: 8FP, DEF/RES Bonus: +4, +1 Duration
Rank 4: 10FP, DEF/RES Bonus: +5
Rank 2: 12FP, DEF/RES Bonus: +6

Passive:

Everlasting Light

Increases the duration of your Curate Support Spells.

Rank 1: +1 Duration
Rank 2: +1 Duration
Rank 3: +1 Duration

Innate:

Respiration

It's important to not be frivolous with your gifts, instead you can take the time to focus. When you do not cast any spells in a Round, you restore FP at the end of that Round based on Rank.

Rank 1: +2 FP
Rank 2: +4 FP
Rank 3: +6 FP
Rank 4: +8 FP
Rank 5: +10 FP

Greater Enhancement

Increases the effectiveness of your Fortify, Invigoration and Quickness spells based on Rank.

(This does not increase the Move boost from Quickness however.)

Rank 1: +1 Stat Effectiveness
Rank 2: +2 Stat Effectiveness
Rank 3: +3 Stat Effectiveness

Duelist (4 Skill Ideas)

Offensive:

Accupuncture
Spear Skill. Jab into the target at a vulnerable point, piercing them and their defenses. This performs a basic attack that has a bonus chance to Critical based on Rank, if it hits, the target loses DEF. If it Criticals, the DEF reduction is doubled. Lasts for 3 Rounds. Range = 2.

Rank 1: 12FP, Bonus Critical: +8, -2 DEF
Rank 2: 11FP, Bonus Critical: +11, -3 DEF
Rank 3: 10FP, Bonus Critical: +14, -4 DEF
Rank 4: 9FP, Bonus Critical: +17, -5 DEF
Rank 5: 8FP, Bonus Critical: +20, -6 DEF

Reeling Hook
Spear Skill. Suddenly reach out, hook the target and pull them towards you. This performs a basic attack that deals bonus damage based on Rank on a target within 4 tiles in a straight line from you, if it Hits, the target is pulled towards you up to a number of tiles based on Rank (or until they are next to you). If used facing the side or behind the opponent and the pull is successful, the target is also Silenced for 2 Rounds.

Rank 1: 16FP, Bonus Damage: +2, Pull: 1 Tile
Rank 2: 15FP, Bonus Damage: +4
Rank 3: 14FP, Bonus Damage: +6, Pull: 2 Tiles
Rank 4: 13FP, Bonus Damage: +8
Rank 5: 12FP, Bonus Damage: +10, Pull: 3 Tiles

Pinwheel
Spear Skill. Spin your spear around in a spiral motion to produce a gust of wind, this deals Wind physical damage equal to 50% STR + 50% SKI + Weapon Power + a bonus based on Rank. In addition, all enemies have their Move reduced for 2 Rounds. Range = Circle (3) around Self.

Rank 1: 18FP, 3 Power, -1 Move
Rank 2: 17FP, 6 Power
Rank 3: 16FP, 9 Power, -2 Move
Rank 4: 15FP, 12 Power
Rank 5: 14FP, 15 Power, -3 Move

Passive:

Swaying
Toggle. Whenever you successfully evade an attack, you'll move 1 tile away from the attacker, if possible.

(Since this works against Advancing Flow, you can't have both of them toggled on at the same time.)

Rank 1: Learn skill.

Martial Artist (3 Skill Ideas)

Utility:

Touch the Sky
3M. Your body becomes incredibly light, allowing you to leap higher into the air. Boosts your CEL for 3 Rounds. In addition, while under this effect, the next time you perform Heaven Kick, you will deal additional damage equal to a portion of your STR and CEL based on Rank, then this effect is consumed.

Rank 1: 15FP, +2 CEL, Bonus Damage: 10% STR, 10% CEL
Rank 2: +4 CEL, Bonus Damage: 20% STR, 20% CEL
Rank 3: +6 CEL, Bonus Damage: 30% STR, 30% CEL
Rank 4: +8 CEL, Bonus Damage: 40% STR, 40% CEL
Rank 5: +10 CEL, Bonus Damage: 50% STR, 50% CEL

Passive:

Miyasi's Heavenly Heel
A popular martial art style that focuses on precise kicks. Increases the damage dealt by 'Manuever: Kick', 'Light Tomahawk', 'Peddling Wheel' and 'Heaven Kick' based on Rank.

Rank 1: +3 Damage
Rank 2: +3 Damage
Rank 3: +3 Damage
Rank 4: +3 Damage
Rank 5: +3 Damage

Innate:

Empty Handed
A Martial Artist needs no weapon, with proper training, they too can be tempered like a fine blade. Increases the overall effectiveness of your Bare Fists based on Rank.

Rank 1: +3 Power, +3 Accuracy, +3 Critical
Rank 2: +3 Power, +3 Accuracy, +3 Critical
Rank 3: +3 Power, +3 Accuracy, +3 Critical
Rank 4: +3 Power, +3 Accuracy, +3 Critical
Rank 5: +3 Power, +3 Accuracy, +3 Critical

Archer (4 Skill Ideas)

Offensive:

Arm Shot
Bow or Gun Skill. Aim precisely for the target's arm, hindering their strength. Performs a basic attack on the target; if successful, the target's STR and WIL is lowered based on Rank (1.5x if it's a Critical) for 3 Rounds.

(This fires only 1 Round for Guns but will treat a multi-round Gun like a 1 Round Gun for damage purposes.)

If Dynamic Shooting is at Rank 5, this may also Disarm the target for 1 Round (LUC% chance), randomly preventing either their Main Hand or Off Hand equipment from giving any benefits or being able to use Skills that require that equipment until the end of the duration. (Similiar to the 'Reloading' status.)

Rank 1: Learn Skill, 10FP, -2 STR/WIL
Rank 2: 12FP, -3 STR/WIL
Rank 3: 14FP, -4 STR/WIL
Rank 4: 16FP, -5 STR/WIL
Rank 5: 18FP, -6 STR/WIL

Utility:

Sticky Trap
Places an adhesive trap at an unoccupied square within 2 Range for 3 Rounds. If an enemy moves within 2 cardinal squares of the trap, it triggers, immediately stopping Movement then they will become Immobilized and suffer a penalty to CEL based on Rank for 3 Rounds.

(In addition, if you use Pulling Shot while you have a Trap in place, they will be drawn towards the closest Trap instead of you.)

Rank 1: 16FP, -3 CEL, Range 2
Rank 2: 15FP, -6 CEL
Rank 3: 14FP, -9 CEL, Range 3
Rank 4: 13FP, -12 CEL
Rank 5: 12FP, -15 CEL, Range 4

Passive:

Camoflague
Increases your Evade when within 1 tile of a 'field object'. (This can be the Archer's Nest, Rocks, Flowers, Ice Sheets, etc.)

Rank 1: +5 Evade
Rank 2: +10 Evade
Rank 3: +15 Evade
Rank 4: +20 Evade
Rank 5: +25 Evade

Innate:

Power Draw
Requires Rank 1 Longdraw. Bows and Archer Bow Skills deal increased damage while 'Longdraw' is in effect.

Rank 1: +2 Damage
Rank 2: +4 Damage
Rank 3: +6 Damage
Rank 4: +8 Damage
Rank 5: +10 Damage

Summoner (3 Skill Ideas)

Offensive:

Attack Command

Requires a Summoned Youkai. Targets one of your Summoned Youkai within Rank*2 Range and orders them to attack. This will cause the Youkai to immediately perform a basic attack on a nearby enemy.

At low Friendship, the Youkai may ignore the Attack Command. At high Friendship, the Youkai may use their Evoke-Active Skill instead of a basic attack.

Rank 1: 12FP
Rank 2: 10FP
Rank 3: 8FP
Rank 4: 6FP

Defensive:

Defend Command

Requires a Summoned Youkai. Targets one of your Summoned Youkai within Rank*2 Range, ordering them to protect themselves, allowing them to gain access and use the Guard Skill for their next turn.

At low Friendship, the Youkai may ignore the Defend Command. At high Friendship, the Youkai also gains access to the Protect Skill while following the Defend Command, allowing them to protect allies too.

Rank 1: 12FP
Rank 2: 10FP
Rank 3: 8FP
Rank 4: 6FP

Innate:

Bonding Experience

It takes time for Youkai to warm up to their masters, but with some encouragement, it'll be easier to get through to them.

This allows Youkai to gain more Friendship and Experience for battles, this even applies if they did not participate (but they will only gain 25% of the total Friendship/Experience earned.)

Rank 1: +0.1% Friendship, +5% Experience
Rank 2: +0.2% Friendship, +10% Experience
Rank 3: +0.3% Friendship, +15% Experience
Rank 4: +0.4% Friendship, +20% Experience

(e.g. At Rank 4, this means Youkai that participate will gain 0.5% Friendship and 120% Experience but unsummoned ones will gain 0.125% Friendship and 30% Experience.)
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
I like these. Almost all of these. I just have one major noteworthy thing to mention.

Quote:Fluttering Hummingbird
Dagger Skill

Can also be used by weapons with the 'Fan' Sub-Type. Each hit requires an accuracy check, if a hit connects, it deals unresistable physical Slash Damage equal to the Weapon's Power.

The number of hits performed is based on Rank.

If you are equipped with two Daggers (or Fans), this performs additional strikes also based on Rank, using the off-hand Weapon for those strikes.

Rank 1: 4M, 20FP, 2 Hits
Rank 2: 19FP, 2 Hits (+1 Bonus Hit)
Rank 3: 18FP, 3 Hits (+1 Bonus Hit)
Rank 4: 17FP, 3 Hits (+2 Bonus Hits)
Rank 5: 16FP, 4 Hits (+2 Bonus Hits)

I'm terrified of the abuse with rebelling daggers.

Besides that, I'm in favor of basically everything, even Revolution for the Soldier despite it using durability. They mostly all all fit thematically (Curate getting FP back on a turn it casts no spells is a great way to encourage moderation with mercana, for example) and yeah.

I'm expecting a lot of people to chime in like "baaaw, base classes are supposed to suck" but that's anything but the case. They're the foundations the promoted classes are based on, and the foundations of combat are easily the most important.
*loud burp*
That's fair enough, I was wondering myself if that would be too strong (which is why I gave it 4M in the first place). I think I'll go for the alternative I had in mind.

Quote:Rank 1: 4M, 20FP, 2 Hits
Rank 2: 18FP, 2 Hits
Rank 3: 2 Hits (+1 Bonus Hit)
Rank 4: 16FP, 2 Hits (+1 Bonus Hit)
Rank 5: 2 Hits (+2 Bonus Hits)
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
4 hits (if dual wielding) of unresistable dagger POW is... Strong, but not overly so. I think daggers can get.. What. 25 power at max? I mean, you're still doing like 100 damage, guaranteed to something if you can hit it, which this seems like its an anti-tank move... So 'hitting' is generally not an issue. It's still just a bit obscene because of the guaranteed part. But it requires 2 weapons wielded.. so it's goodbye shield or anything beside a dagger and hello knife hands.

So I guess it's cool. I really like a lot of the ideas.
I like quite a few of these, supporting most of 'em.
[Image: zo2BdSr.pngp]
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=8857#p8857 Wrote:Rendar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:34 am[/url]"]4 hits (if dual wielding) of unresistable dagger POW is... Strong, but not overly so. I think daggers can get.. What. 25 power at max? I mean, you're still doing like 100 damage, guaranteed to something if you can hit it, which this seems like its an anti-tank move... So 'hitting' is generally not an issue. It's still just a bit obscene because of the guaranteed part. But it requires 2 weapons wielded.. so it's goodbye shield or anything beside a dagger and hello knife hands.

So I guess it's cool. I really like a lot of the ideas.

You do make a very good point. I guess I was still caught in the mindset of Nitrogen Drop being ridiculously OP before the momentum change and jackhammer nerfs. Actually thinking about it again, I probably jumped the gun on calling it out. If anything, it's a skill that'd only be useful once you get really strong gear, and there's not actually anything particularly wrong from that, as it encourages adaptation over time.
*loud burp*
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=8857#p8857 Wrote:Rendar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:34 am[/url]"]4 hits (if dual wielding) of unresistable dagger POW is... Strong, but not overly so. I think daggers can get.. What. 25 power at max?

Max I can get mine is 30.
[Image: 728daabd1d06463d4458817a55e80d3f09da5d88.gif]
            "Nothing good ever comes of her laughter. And she's always laughing."
[Image: ae1249ba537fe4f2c0b55eeb8655f8744028e0f7.gif]
I like pretty much all of these!

And I agree soldier needs more skills, especially sword ones.
All of these, all of them.
DEV PLZ!