Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somatic and Verbal Spells
So. We know that in some universes that Spells are Somatic, Verbal, require components, or some combination thereupon.

I would like to suggest that SL2 takes this system into effect. Allowing mages the ability to work with that for there spells. The order would go something akin to this.

Normal spells (having simple verbal components) would cast as per normal. 1x damage modifier. However adding SOMATIC components give a 33% damage increase.

What does this mean though? You can toggle having Verbal and Somatic components on/off via a toggle. If you toggle OFF Verbal components, spells will no longer be capable of being silenced. However, in tandem with this, it will do quite a bit less damage ((Only dealing 66% rather than the whole 100%)). Alongside that factor, is that your Invocations will NO LONGER have their famous words done alongside them. Meaning that the attacks are much less televised.

On the other side, to Somatic spells. They can be 'silenced' in a way. If the cast has their movement speed hindered, or become IMMOBILIZED, they cannot perform their spell whatsoever. Whilst
Lets just do a quick run down.

Verbal Spells
-----------------------------
Can be silenced
Telegraph your spells

Somatic Spells
-----------------------------
Don't telegraph your spells
Can't be silenced
CAN be hindered by other things.

Using BOTH Somatic and Verbal
--------------------------------------
Can be Silenced/Immobilized
Telegraph your Spells
Spells cost +1 Momentum to use
33% Extra damage.

Does it fix resistance? No, not really. Does it fix people whining and bitching about Invocations being too telegraphed to your opponent? Certainly. Does it make you deal more damage with magic? Yep.

Edit1

So. A thing that came up was "What if someone silences you? Can't you just instantly swap from verbal to somatic?" Well. The answer to THAT particular question is yes/no. The way I envision this is that this is a 'skill' of sorts. Maybe even a trait that mages can take. What it does is that you have two things. "VERBAL" and "SOMATIC" You can activate/de-activate ONE per turn, unless you pay a full 3M for it. What this means is that if you become silenced, and have a spell you really need to get off. You simply lower VERBAL off, costing nothing. You can then either cast at 66% power, or you can turn SOMATIC on afterwards, for 3 M, then cast with the remaining 4M you have. Leaving you at 1 M to do whatever. Is it tedious? Sure. Does it affect people WHATSOEVER that decide "Hey. I like my verbal only casting." Eh. Probably. I don't care though. It adds in a new way for mages to have 'variety' to their spell list. Rather than simply just going 'i know fir. but i dance to blast it out. Why does silence stop me?" It shouldn't happen, and we all know this.

So. Technically YES and no. If you get SILENCED whilst you have both toggled on, you can toggle VERBAL off, then take your cast at 1x damage. Though, if your target knows how to really screw you over... They'll probably end up using Immobilize (or slow)+Silence to stop all capabilities of casting until you get rid of it. It's a somewhat lethal concept.. but it gives perks, benefits, AND negatives to actually using different types of magic.

Messages In This Thread