Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class Balancing: Demon Hunter
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11728#p11728 Wrote:Chaos » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:10 am[/url]"]#1: Not when Winged Serpent is restricted to a line. This isn't pre-nerf Crane Hop that can just jump to whatever tile within X range it pleases. If a nerf is necessary, we're better off lowering the line's range instead of making the skill virtually xenophobic.

Since the Matador changes are largely what I couldn't get people to agree on, I won't comment on those since we're certainly looking at alternatives. But for this I just want to briefly reiterate that 1m movement is, in almost everyone's opinion who I have spoken with in the game, negatively impacting the game by existing. Adding 'catches' to movement skills like Voidgate make them something both players can interact with and around, which is good. But when you are able to sit outside of your opponent's range and then suddenly close the gap and use an entire turn's worth of momentum on them, it becomes a problem.

Take, for example, a Magic Gunner / Demon Hunter who runs Cobra and Desperado. They can remain untouchable by (practically) all sources of damage just by remaining at roughly 8 or 9 tiles of range. If your opponent is an Archer or also a rifle wielding gunner, that range can go up marginally. At 9 tiles, the only things that can really hurt you is a Martial Artist with Shukichi, a soldier with Charge, and a Void Assassin with Western Wind. So, don't stand in range of that either. Let's go SIXTEEN tiles away. Now those pesky punks with the highest possible movement in the game can't penetrate your wall of Snake Dancer, or your almighty Bullet Barrier. So the opponent can't approach the gunner, or it will do an inevitable zero damage and be struck with a game ending overcharge shell (Sonic or Celsius, almost exclusively). But the opponent can't NOT approach, otherwise the gunner can Burn Up / Dragon Hover and fly 8 tiles over, then strike them with a game ending overcharge shell ANYWAY.

The core issue with 1m movement is it allows one person to operate at full capacity at a range the opponent can barely operate at half. I don't want to give Winged Serpent the Crane Hop treatment and make it tiny range. Leaping Lizard and Winged Serpent are powerful and interesting to use together. But really, 1m movement should be all but denied without a solid drawback or setup required. At least, that's what several of us believe.

Messages In This Thread