Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SL2 Running slow
So. After recent testing and deciding that this was actually a thing. We've sort of figured out a major cause of frame lag/lag in general.

Remember how we said that Weather/Night time caused a lot of lag and no one really believed us? The difference is visible in game, but here.

[Image: c35f642da2.jpg]

Outside of Dormeho (this applies to every area that I have been to with the night-time overlay). The lag is real. CPU usage is through the roof for this game. Just SL2 is eating up 40% ((50%+ if I'm in an area with weather effects going on as well)). Before you ask, no. My PC is actually pretty decent. I can play a good chunk of 3d games ranging from League to something like Dragon Age 2. So, that isn't the issue. Even if it were. Every player that I have talked to about this experiences the same sort of frame lag/lag in general from this.

So. Let's go into a house, namely my own character's player house.

[Image: 59b3a2b00e.jpg]

The CPU usage dies down almost instantly. Nearly a fourth of what it is outside. This is reallyyyyyyyy not okay.

So.. what now? Well. After some recent chats with players on OOC. The overlay for 'night' actually shouldn't be blue. Which. uh. Is what I've always seen. It's meant to be blackish grey. Sooo after fenagling with BYOND settings and relogging. Turns out the preference to have "hardware acceleration" on makes CPU usage a lot less taxing on the computer. It can be found by going to BYOND SETTINGS > Preferences > GAMES and toggling it on. If, for some reason, it's already on and still lagging. Try it the other way to see if that alleviates the problem.

Honestly, this is about the best I can offer on that lag front because holy hell did it make my SL2 playing a helluva lot better.

Messages In This Thread