Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Lich] Essence Blast FP Scaling
1) It is -WEAKER- than every single mage spell since it does not get a bonus from tomes. Even with a starter tome of 5 power, even Vyd, the weakest mage spell, comes up to Will + 12. This can be boosted much further via better Tomes/Spelledge Weapons (30 power spelledge weapons are not unheard of) as well as Aeromancy. Rank 1 Vyd (Will + 7) with R5 Aeromancy and a 30 power spelledge weapon comes up to Wil +42 while costing 5 FP... compared to Essence Blast still being stuck at a pathetic Will +10 with an FP cost that makes sure you will not use it unless all other elements are resisted.

Edit: For some reason, I was posting under the math of Vyd being Wil + 7 instead of Wil + 1. I do not know why I made such a stupid error, but I do apologize for the misleading math. While R4 Vyd is Wil+7, that is irrelevant to the point I was making.

2) While it does have the theoretical bullshit numbers insane potential to potentially cause the strongest burns a player can cause... in practice, it simply does -not- cause the highest level burn in the game. Against 0 Res, assuming the absolute maximum possible 100 Will (80 base + 20 mod, and of course the +10 from the skill itself) you can theoretically make Level 55 burn... but literally no one has 0 res. Every single Racial base has a Res above 0. Against a target with a respectable 30 res, you will do 80 damage, for a level 40 burn, tying with Underworld flame. A standard, run of the mill, non-optimized Lich (closer to 80 will total) versus an enemy with that same resistance stat will in fact only cause level 30 burn.

It has absolutely no business costing as much as it does at high levels. I'm not saying to make it cheap and spammable. But as it stands, it's not worth the skill slot for how terrible it is from a cost efficiency standpoint. Raise the base cost if needed, just don't add a bullshit level scaling for literally no reason other than to make it less convenient.

EDIT: Providing more numbers:

[Image: d121c7f6e5d08ae46ed0acc5676b838a.png]
[Image: 97c92e992789e44abda4d78853aac89a.png]

Considering it scales directly with a stat and not level - like every single class skill that does not magically cost more at high levels (Again: Fire Breath and Youkai skills DO get some level scaling) making it magically cost more at high levels is stupid. Just give it a flat cost of 30 or something, instead of just raising the cost as levels go up.
*loud burp*

Messages In This Thread