Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The (Un)official Guard Criticism/Salt Thread
A Issue I have is that serval guard players are the kind of players that have many different characters. While that is of course no issue on itself, it kinda becomes one once those players as friends decide "Hey let's make this group and to XY criminal stuff!" pulling a bunch of those guards into the boat leaving automatically a window for themselves in which they can act cause:
A.) They know what the guards do, since well technically they are the guards.
B.) Since they are the ones playing a good deal of the Guards aren't even avaiable, making it so that they are basically able to run wild like they want.
C.) And since those guards are also in that group, and no one really likes the guards party pooping, they get away with ALOT more than they should. Not to mention that I see more often than not Guard players soft handling acts from their friends.

In contradiction to that, players without that benefit have to always face absolute cluelessness of the all of a sudden Guard Ultra Instinct Awareness and Omnipresence.(cause more often than not people throw hints to guard friends OOCly, you can't tell me thats not happening.) The Guards handle those people alot harsher and give up much more punsihments (For example, Someone who litterally commited grave crimes like attacking the Hospital and causing a player indirectly to die by an attempt to capture them, is pretty much handwaved fine with some pseudo excuse they had(being controlled, wasn't invastigated either), while others with no crime record at all have been accused to being threating someone, getting jailed without IC proof.)
This makes it feel REALLY inconsistent and while you can say "Everyone can handle punishments differntly", should a force like the guards really do that to this degree? In a social game where you automatically benefit your friends, even if you try to be unbiased?
I get that most of those things aren't even on purpose and just a by product of the 3423 Characters per player issue, but I have seen people way to often handwave their friends of with a warning while other players in the same conditions or even lighter have almost always been treated with instant jailtime.

This gives those people an real unfair advantage. They can Shut down others really quickly and they themself do not get shut down at all. Making them the winners on both sides pretty much 90% of the time.(cause like everyone else they say: "jail sucks, don't wanna get jail thats bad for RP and boring so I can't cause havoc!" aka welcome to the world of normal palyers)

Guards and their permission to pretty much Godmod and being flawless. Example of that are:
-Player Guard forgets to work after script A, forgetting to take off weapons and body search the criminal.->It will always be pretended that they do no such mistake.
-Player Guard releases the criminal and forgets to take of the special cuffs, so criminal decides "Nice, I take that with me and try to research that thing!"-> Nah a Guard would never make the mistake, no matter how much you Icly distracted them!
-The power of Omni knowledge some of them pretent to have, by reading logs, where they say We have witness NPC this and that. While this part is okay, sometimes they also take in whispers (that yes might proof the criminal actually guilty) into that. So they know it OOCly and still kinda put it into IC and get some pseudo excuse as to why they did that. It's terrible. I know not all do that though, thankfully.

@Saw about prison: People aren't even willing to RP with the prisoners 99% of the time, they just be stoic and put them in jail sometimes maybe exchange three lines but leave then and never return. Meaning a huge part of why Prison is so boring is indeed the fact that there is no RP at all nor anyone willing to RP with them. I doubt this will change because they have to tag along with that prisoner to dungeons and shit.
But I agree that there should be some ways to put themself into the empires service to maybe reduce the jail time, and Chaos is actually doing that from time to time, which is cool.

There isn't really much to be done though, sadly. The people in question will always deny it and come up with excuses and swear to Mercala that they never even dared to write someone OOCly (people just randomly pop up in a group inside a place they never usually frequent in, of course, fully ready.) or give a reasonable explaination in that situation that understandable but in the long run they do not hold onto that stick and do 180° when other people are in the same situation who aren't played by their friends. And the guards that actually play them good and diligent, from which we of course have some aswell, can't really do much either on their own and are actually sorta rarely seen in game cause no one really enjoys playing a guard much either cause it's not exactly a thankful position either.
So I don't know? Guards feel generally just like a mary sue group that are absolutely flawless, despite them obviously not being such, else we didn't have the running gags about Guards constantly fucking up. And you can't do much against friends benefitting each other where they can under what ever excuse they have.
*shrugs*

EditSadDidn't read Chaos yet. Reading)

Messages In This Thread