Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[REWORK] Player Complaints (Policy & Handling)
After re-reading the original thread several times, and even coming back to re-read it again, I can't really find anything I personally disagree with -- I do have a few little things that I feel like I personally want to point towards as well.
While having only little discussion with the GMs, both good and bad, I can tell that the community needs a re-work of how things are dealt with from a slightly-outside viewpoint. The only thing I think I can add onto is that there's also a lack of consistency with the way GMs deal with different issues. In short example, we'll see randos and trolls get banned with detailed messages in-game, explaining what they did exactly, then we'll see others get banned with one-word messages. A microcosm of the issue at hand, I'd say. There should be a standard of how the issues are addressed publicly as well, for both consistency and transparency. I believe that players should be allowed to view who the GM giving the ban out was so that we can speak to that GM specifically, since getting multiple GMs involved in one situation can only make the situation more confusing for both the GMs and involved player(s).

One other issue with consistency is that the GMs also seem don't seem to communicate on smaller issues. Through the years we've seen a lot of GMs give different rulings on lore that the other GMs don't approve of. I've actually been a handle of this, as I once asked a GM if a silly alias was okay to use and I was given a "sure, that should be fine", and another GM later saw said alias and changed it on me without saying a word to me, in game or otherwise. That being said, I also wanted to bring up something related...

There's also, I believe, a lack of a way for GMs to talk to players inside SL2. Just suddenly seeing a seemingly random person post in LOOC with an OOC name can be confusing for players who don't know the game and even frightening for some players that know the GMs do that. Discord is good and great and all, but a lot of people still don't use it (like myself, because I don't like the idea of randoms from the game DMing me because I'm in the SL2 Server, among other reasons) and those that play SL2 casually are not likely going to want to have random people on their friends list, even if they're a GM. This also regards that pager just absolutely bombs as a place to chat. In my case, the pager is a laggy garbage mess that I can barely log into SL2 with, much less chat with a GM on if I needed them.

I also want to agree with this earlier sentiment.
Snake post_id=36840 time=1560106645 user_id=310 Wrote:We'll never have a healthier environment if we don't get GMs a bit more power, and players a bit more conscience on what they're supposed to 'not' do. "Common sense" doesn't really apply to everyone, but rules do.
"Common sense" is a debated thing I can provide an example of. Outside of SL2, my friends and I have a discord server for friends, that has never really had a "rules" section because 'it should just be common sense'. However, we have a member with epilepsy and has a problem with a particular real-life tragedy, as well as another member who has problems with a particular word that can be used offensively. These were never fully stated rules in the server, and therefore things happened that shouldn't because we just said 'it's all common sense'. What happened was that the problematic members were just given a shove in one way or another without knowing what they did wrong. This changed because it was decided that because of another incident, the server should have dedicated rules that can be understood flatly. Since then, we have never had another issue with people accidentally breaking rules.

Those all being said, Jupiter's said what I could've already. I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment of making a player complaint forum, as long as it's handled and maintained well by both the community, as well as making the community a healthier place in general.
[Image: da4KzKk.png]

Messages In This Thread