Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Initial Thoughts about Runemage balance
I agree with most of the points you put forth, but have a few additional criticisms about the class as a whole:

1. Having only two ways of dealing damage makes the class predictable and, at times, uninteresting. Your choices are to expend momentum on Elemental Runes, or to construct a Razor Rune that never goes away. As many people have already covered in this thread, the latter is optimal in both raw DPS and momentum efficiency. For a class that, in my opinion, seems to portray constructing/customizing a rune to deal with your current problems as a playstyle, your options for hurting the bad guy are extremely one-dimensional.
    • Like everyone else, I think max-stack Razor Runes linked with Null are too powerful. Outside of their one Swift Rune Casting window, however, Rune Mages don't seem to be even remotely able to compete with the damage output of other classes with just 3 runes per turn unless they turn to creating the aforementioned Beyblade. Elemental Rune -> Destruction Rune -> Haste Rune once per round doesn't hold a candle to anything with Fleur, or a double-tap of strong autohits.
    • Having an extremely small number of ways to damage enemies creates a very low complexity ceiling for the class. In my opinion, Rune Magician is the primary candidate for a class that should benefit from thinking ahead, setting traps, and trying to stay a step ahead of your opposition. It's a shame when optimal gameplay for something so unique devolves into slapping as many runes as possible on the ground and rolling it forward like a buzz saw.

2. Skill Points are too generous for the class. It's possible to get every single skill maxed in the tree as a human, and it leaves no room for variety between Rune Mages. You can't emphasize support, debuffs, or damage because you get everything as part of the package.

3. In the same vein, I think there are several missed opportunities for Runes that aren't present in the class' kit.
    • Offensively, poison and burn are notable examples that would add ways for the class to hurt enemies.
    • Defensively, the class pretty much only offers tile effects, Spiked Treads, and movement speed. I believe runes that Regen/Heal/Burst Heal on Engrave/Resonate/Trigger are missed opportunities. A rune that can help cope with negative statuses when triggered (e.g., when your entire class has been Silenced away) also seems like a slice of power missing. The point is, the class supports by hindering enemies, but has very little way of actively aiding their own team.

Despite these criticisms, I think the class has a fantastic identity, and could have an equally fantastic play pattern with some additional runes and power reallocation. I'm ecstatic that it finally got released, even with all the jokes about SL1's iteration of the class.

Messages In This Thread