Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Skill points vs Skill Slots
(09-02-2020, 07:54 PM)Mr.SmileGod Wrote: I'm not entirely opposed to certain passive skills becoming innate through SP, but personally I feel the idea you tossed in Discord was probably the easier and more suitable solution to the skillslots issue: just... increasing the base by 5 or so. Everyone struggles with skill slots-- Any time I have a character that doesn't, I feel like it's a miracle. Of course, it's a limiting factor for a reason, but as most classes have been getting the occasional extra skill dropped in, the problem has gotten worse over time.

So yeah. This wouldn't be bad, but I still think increasing the skill slot base would probably be better. Or do both.

While I agree that just increasing base skill slots would be a blanket fix to these issues, it also ends up just allowing certain other builds to beef up and SWA gouge as well, when the core issue is class costs on certain aspects (Demon Hunter/Black Knight/Verglas/Tactician) then the floor shouldn't be raised, the high class costs should be normalized and brought down to a regular level.

Lets assume for a second that the average skill point cost to max a skill is 3, given the abundance of 1 SP max skills or 5 SP Max skills this is reasonable, this means that (on average) a class will be dedicating roughly 5-10 skill slots to it, you have 4 classes with SP available to equip to you, meaning you could have anywhere from 20 skill slots to 40 total skills to account for, if we normalize this and bring the rough number down to about 25-30 that should please most people I feel, and all that means is that you need to make only a couple of skills in some base classes and promoted classes have a 'free skill slot' rank attached to them.

To put Black Knight into light specifically here, if I wanted to equip a whole bunch of black knight skills, but not all of them, here is what my build might consider:
-Checkmate, Hanging, Crescent Rook, Board Shaker, Castling, Sacrifice, Prophylaxys, Forced Move, Sudden Death, Black Deflection, Stalemate, Black Drain.
For a total of 12 skills, and thats not even counting some other good portions of black knight like Bright Bishop, Steel Aura or Steel Body.

Mages were given skill slots on tomes because of a lack of SKI or GUI that could be present in their build, not necessarily to just give them more free skills to have, it also doesn't make Will too powerful while keeping mages more in line with actually having a number skill slots in their builds, but right now with the abundance of skills currently, you're practically forced to have high SKI with a tome to equip certain classes, with the exception of summoner or rogue since they have innate synergy with skill slots.
[Image: zo2BdSr.pngp]

Messages In This Thread
Skill points vs Skill Slots - by Autumn - 09-02-2020, 07:19 PM
RE: Skill points vs Skill Slots - by Mr.SmileGod - 09-02-2020, 07:54 PM
RE: Skill points vs Skill Slots - by Autumn - 09-02-2020, 08:22 PM
RE: Skill points vs Skill Slots - by Lonestar - 09-03-2020, 03:14 AM
RE: Skill points vs Skill Slots - by Kameron8 - 09-03-2020, 06:53 AM
RE: Skill points vs Skill Slots - by Sawrock - 09-03-2020, 06:40 PM
RE: Skill points vs Skill Slots - by Kameron8 - 09-04-2020, 01:30 AM
RE: Skill points vs Skill Slots - by Mr.SmileGod - 09-03-2020, 07:40 PM
RE: Skill points vs Skill Slots - by Balor - 09-05-2020, 03:13 PM
RE: Skill points vs Skill Slots - by Autumn - 09-05-2020, 04:23 PM