Poll: Are you up to helping!?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes!
66.67%
2 66.67%
No!
33.33%
1 33.33%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Minor Monster Variety
So this is sort of a combination suggestion.  I'll start with the most important part first.

I want monsters to have tiers of strength, that's easily spotted from a glance at their pallet.  Some sort of progression like

Dire Rabbit/Horned Rabbit/Shock Rabbit/Vorpal Rabbit/Lapine(from french Lapin, rabbit) Lord

with progressively better stats/level and progressively more(and better) skills.  They'd each have different pallets to easily distinguish-  For this example, T1 would be white, T2 orange, T3 yellow, T4 black(vanilla mob), and T5 probably a mix of colors since it should be special.

My thoughts on how they should be arranged is like this:

T1 appear in dungeons level 1-20, T2 in 21-40, T3 in 41-60, T4 in 61+.

With an additional subsystem- When a mob spawns with a miniboss prefix, it spawns as one tier higher than normal.  This means Tier 5 mobs can only spawn as minibosses in top level dungeons.

This would make for more mob variety, let us indirectly buff or nerf some mobs that people struggle with at levels where they're too strong/too weak, and just kinda be cool in general.  If you're not down for this next part, Dev, I totally get it but I'd also like to see higher tier mobs have a higher chance to drop ten star items-  Something like, T3's have a low chance, similar to current chances, T4 have a little bit higher chance, and T5 have a 15% or so chance of dropping their ten star item.

For some examples on indirectly nerfing or buffing:

Sand Shark(vanilla)/Pebble Shark/Stone Shark/Titan Shark/Earth Eater

In this sample, Sand Shark isn't that strong of a mob already, so we can just set it as a tier 1 or 2 mob and then build up from it.  Whereas with Vorpal Rabbits, Frost Tyrants, or Grindylows, since they tend to be a tougher mob, they can be nudged a little higher up the rungs- to tier 3 or 4.

Frost Prince/Frost Baron/Frost Tyrant/Frost Fiend/Draconic Destroyer

And for this sample, Frost Tyrant is a strong mob, so it's placed near the center- maybe even up to being a Tier 4 mob.  It's something that'd need a lot of thought and probably vetting from Dev as it goes through.

This is a HUGE undertaking, so if anyone would be keen on helping out with this project, I'd love to see some response from them here in the thread.  Especially with regards to making edits to sprites, since in this system every mob in the game would need 4 more versions of itself.

P.S. I personally really want to see a Bare Bear/Scare Bear/Rare Bear/Flare Bear/Arctorian(from greek Arctos, Bear) Annihilator line.  That's all really.

EDIT: TL;DR by popular request.

Pallet swaps of mobs that are stronger or weaker to give cool mob variety and a tier system.  More loot for stronger mobs.  Miniboss mobs are a rank higher than other mobs of their level.
[-] The following 2 users Like Maksimum_Fire's post:
  • Fern, Miller

Messages In This Thread
Minor Monster Variety - by Maksimum_Fire - 09-28-2020, 04:08 AM
RE: Minor Monster Variety - by Fern - 09-28-2020, 04:24 AM
RE: Minor Monster Variety - by Maksimum_Fire - 09-28-2020, 05:05 AM
RE: Minor Monster Variety - by SevenHaven - 09-28-2020, 05:26 AM
RE: Minor Monster Variety - by Maksimum_Fire - 09-28-2020, 05:35 AM
RE: Minor Monster Variety - by SevenHaven - 09-28-2020, 05:38 AM
RE: Minor Monster Variety - by HexGirlBestGirl - 09-28-2020, 11:36 AM