Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Opinions on the current state of GMs
(11-12-2020, 04:18 AM)Lewdcifer Wrote: I was rather close to remaining silent in regards to the topic, but I am compelled to contribute, since it is touching on a rather important part of the game: Game Administrators. I will be touching a few matters in my post, in hopes that it will serve as some form of feedback for the GM team and contribute to the discussion itself.

I will agree that, currently, GMs have a... lack of presence/representation, mostly caused by inactivity. But you also have to understand two points, especially given they have been mentioned in the original post:
  • One, GMs are people with lives that Dev trusts, and demanding that they set aside important things for the sake of the game is not so feasible, which leads us to the second point.
  • The GM team is voluntary, NOT something they are paid for.
I feel these are two very important points to keep in mind at all times during this thread.
Another thing I would like to touch on is not overloading the GMs with responsibilities. Sure, more from them would be nice, but given these two points... yeah.
However, if Dev wants to recruit more GMs, then by all means, go ahead. But as a player, the one and only thing I request is that you be very careful of your picks and communicate with your current GM team about that matter.

Now, in regards to transparency. I understand the demand for transparency, especially given I have already talked to Dev about this before through other mediums; but there is yet another important point here -- GMs need some space to work with. There are some administrative actions we simply should not know of, but it probably can be addressed in an individual basis with the corresponding GM.
Knowing what a GM is doing at all times is counterproductive; not being certain if they are looking over your shoulder is important as a motivator to not break the rules or do something they should not.

Additionally, I believe it is been mentioned before that Dev created a GM log (not accessible to the public, mind you) which allows him to know what a GM is doing. In the past, Dev did not have a clear idea of what all they were doing, but this log alone allows him to keep tabs on that stuff.

I do think that, if we knew just a little bit more, perhaps it would not hurt anyone; but I believe steps have already been taken in that direction before (read: Applications subforum).

In regards to bans, and other administrative measures, it is important to note that the GMs work mostly off of what a player provides to them. If you do not report stuff, then it simply will not get noticed. It is a compromise with the players, who should reach out to them, tell them what's up, and provide them with evidence to work with so you do not end up sending them to war without a weapon.
As for evidence, I do not feel a GM has to (or should) provide evidence for their actions to the public. Dev trusts them for a reason. They should reserve the right to respond, as it is not an obligation. To add to this, players should also have the right to anonymity, and depending on how evidence is handled, it can end up being counter intuitive.

As an addendum section; I agree with most of what MaksimumFire/Kit said. I have had little issues with the GM team and the system they work with, but I definitely agree it could stand to be reworked in a few areas, and touched up here and there.

While I agree anonymity should be a choice. What I am suggesting is common place amongst other communities. It is common practice for reports to be both public if the reporter chooses, or private.

Also again my statement was not to the public. It was "If the person who is accused or banned requests it, they should be allowed to see the evidence proving they did wrong." As if it was something they've done in game, then it is more than reasonable for their actions to be documented.

Also the suggestion for players being able to log their chat, does not just go away because GM's are able to log their own posts. In fact it makes the job of a GM easier.

While yes many have not had issue with the GM's, this again is not a criticism of them, but of the system they are working around and how it actively leaves these points of contention in the community. I disagree with most of Maksim's post because they seem to miss the points made. Which are.

- Make the system easier for reports to be made.
- Make it easier for Players to gather evidence separate from screenshots and having a GM dig through logs.
- Clear paper trails shared with those banned, with anonymity if requested. But clear nonetheless, leaving no room for interpretation by those accused.
- Enforce faster responses, which with cleaner infrastructure would happen organically.

The suggestions at hand are no less valid, and again. No less common among communities RP or not. And many of the suggestions at hand ask MORE from the community than it does of the GM's. However I can understand why change is opposed considering how much of the status quo would be shaken.
[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 5 users Like Balor's post:
  • jintheblue, Mewni, Noxid, Snake, WaifuApple

Messages In This Thread
RE: Opinions on the current state of GMs - by GSM - 11-12-2020, 02:50 AM
RE: Opinions on the current state of GMs - by Balor - 11-12-2020, 05:03 AM