Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.17 Average
The Flaws and Benefits of Version 2.49
I agree with a lot of what sadbot has been saying. Honestly, after messing with the glancing blows system so much, I'm certain I still wouldn't enjoy it if the core end of it stayed even with other band-aid adjustments. I don't think it's a particularly hopeless system, just one that doesn't suit most people's cup of tea myself included, even under a hypothetically perfectly balanced version of it (which isn't really going to happen because no one has that perfect judgement anyway.)

I haven't had motivation to make dodge characters or builds in general after messing with the new system in live as well. Making a dodge character is suicide because no one wants to deal with the "unfun" part of Glancing Blows and Hit is heavily favored over Evade. Even then, I would rather Evade not have favor over Hit for the reason that I don't want to see "I'm faster than you and you can't touch me 80% of the time, outskilled" being every character's build due to the reason that the DEF/RES nerfs made most "tank" setups actually very squishy when accompanied by the scaling changes.

I'm waiting to see if anything changes before reworking most of my characters' setups because I don't enjoy the system as is and don't think it's engaging gameplay in practice. I enjoyed the Evasion! DR system much more than this one even when Dodge was at disadvantage for most of it, because I didn't have the looming thought that if I didn't stack hit, then my character would be invalidated by the million dodge opponents running around.

The other changes that came with the update were slowly contributing to having more build diversity, but the current system of Hit vs Evade nigh-completely pushed away the good of that by railroading you into stacking as much hit as you possibly can.

[Image: unknown.png]

I express my opinion that I would prefer to go back to the Evasion! DR system we previously had if it's still an option, with different numbers while keeping the ability for dodge to affect status inflictions in some way. I feel that is generally the Sigrogana Legend 2 gameplay I've liked most out of all the dodge iterations I've seen tried out through all the years I've played this game. I don't even think it's bad that dodge worked that way before as a concept, I also thought it made it more unique in comparison to other RPGs as well.

But right now, the system feels (personally) demotivating, and is also painful to work out on the eventing front. My stance on the system after trying it out is very similar to the one from when we tried fully evading autohits back in pre-GR: I prefer evasion being a damage reduction because it's more fun to me that way even as a dodge main. That's just my opinion, though.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Fern's post:
  • Autumn, Miller

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Flaws and Benefits of Version 2.49 - by Fern - 09-03-2021, 10:27 PM