Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.17 Average
The Flaws and Benefits of Version 2.49
While I did focus on the numbers previously, I still believe that this system is very polarizing and forces people to stack hit to an absurd degree or risk their damage being potentially nullified by RNG; much like how people complained endlessly about lucky vorpals nullifying most of their defensive stat investment from a lucky 10% chance. I agree that making changes and trying to fix up this system is just slapping a band-aid and praying the core fundamental issue of being denied most of your damage goes away somehow. With that said, since I personally didn't really go into much detail in my initial point, I'd like to elaborate on my personal thoughts a bit more.

Glancing Blows is a flawed system as it stands, while it current serves as an 'in-between' for a full evasion system and our previous evasion system, right now it has a strong issue with:
A) The probability of getting a glancing hit is absurd as illustrated by one of my previous posts where you can refer to a small probability chart. You need at least 85% hit to get anywhere.
B) It also works on basic hits where the old system previously did not.
C) It denies a bunch of on-hits and inflicts for the cost of a single stat + torso equipment item, including basic hits which already go through a critical check and hit check at the same time.
D) With full evasion on the table, it forces everyone to play into it; which encourages all builds to stack hit via class bonuses and run enchantments like Blessed or Bloodhunt.
E) Blind as a status is absurdly oppressive as it allows even tanks with zero celerity investment to have a 44% chance to at least get a glancing blow provided they're able to inflict the status to begin with.
F) With full evasion on the table, it requires a bias towards hit to be remotely fair.

This is not accounting for issues that exist as a result of the system (Evasion ignoring skills are among one of said issues)

Assuming full evasion stays for some reason (I don't think it should), steps to improve this system would be:
For A) + B), If you land your first hit, a check for glancing is not applied. (This makes the probability for glancing be accurate on hit forecast.)
C) Change it so glancing blows add a bonus equal to your Scaled CEL (Or Scaled CEL / 2) to Status Resistance rather than flat out deny the infliction from occuring.
E) Revert to the old Blind system and adjust the values according to the new system.

Ideally, I'd personally like for the full evasion system to revert to the old evasion system.
My reasoning and desires for such is that:
1) The old system's concept allowed for DR against autohits while a chance for full on evasion towards basic hits, making it so only those who chose to be a basic hitter would have to play the hit/evasion game.
2) With this previous system, we could add a bias towards evasion when it comes to autohits and increase the DR provided by evasion. (45 ~ 50% DR would be ideal)
3) It wouldn't be mandatory to play into since full evasion would no longer be on the table for those who were previously utilizing autohits.
4) Allow for evasion procs to boost status resistance towards applicable inflicts and proc on-miss effects such as Brain Freeze and Empty Pockets.
[-] The following 3 users Like Miller's post:
  • Fern, Illumi, Shujin

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Flaws and Benefits of Version 2.49 - by Miller - 09-03-2021, 10:31 PM