Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Take: A Class Design overhaul to incentivize people to make friends
To be clear, what I'm suggesting here isn't exactly rocket science. I mean, to be honest, it's kind've the standard for nearly every single primarily multiplayer game under the sun with the only exception being fighting games and some first person and third person shooters.

FFXIV, that's a great example
WoW and most other MMOs is another great example
Team Fortress 2 is also a thing that does this thing
Apex Goddamn Legends does this
League of Legends (Which people play for some reason) and Dota 2 do this
Runescape does it (In a sort of roundabout way since you can basically re-class on the fly but each of your combat styles you can re-class into has a different specified role)
Elder Scrolls Online does it

I'm just saying there is a reason game design has actually gone this way for the past few decades in regards to multiplayer games. This isn't just a fluke. Because here's the thing, balance in the classes isn't just about effecting how people interact with each other, it also effects on a fundamental level encounter design.

I'm just saying dev, you're gonna be saving yourself a lot of work when you're thinking of new bosses in the future and asking yourself how the hell am I supposed to balance this shit? If we make harder dungeons, how. In what way will they be harder? More enemies? Bigger Number? More Damage? All of the above? What kind of builds do you even balance for? Do you go for the topmost percentile? The average casual pve/pvp player? How the hell are you even going to challenge them? What gimmicks can you do and what even are your expectations of the playerbase's general abilities?

Yeah it's gonna decrease build diversity. But maybe... just hear me out... maybe that's fine. I'll be real with you. It's probably gonna be a more solid game overall by the end of it because it'll be a lot easier to keep in reign the bullshit that might arise from various class combinations with more restrictions in place.

Just adding more higher level content is a quick fix, sure, but it's not gonna solve any problems. And whilst this is definitely a lot more of an initial investment I can assure you once this is done you will save so much goddamn time just on the drawing board alone.

Now here's an even spicier take: You wanna really make people sweat about how to build their stuff whilst emphasizing intended main class playstyles more with minimal time investment recoding shit? Subclasses get half the amount of skill points. Do it, I dare ya'.
You son of a bi :evil:. You piece of sh Confusedhock: . You goddamn fuc :geek: ! Listen fuc :x head! You have crossed the fu 8-) ing line! Get that through your godd :lol: fuc :x ing head! Stop pushing your sh :mrgreen: ! You're the ones that have fu :? this country over and gangra Arrow
the shi Tongue out of it!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hot Take: A Class Design overhaul to incentivize people to make friends - by damycles - 07-11-2022, 04:33 PM