Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[Korvara] EXP / The Grind
Honestly? I LIKE the amount it takes.

SL2 isn't a difficult game, but there are lots of ways to make your grinding experience faster, and less time consuming. In Sigrogana, this escalates into grind builds that clear fights in under 20 seconds, gear acquisition becoming almost trivial, and a loss of 'in-character' players. You want a max-level, full book character? Go snag some mercs, a crazy key, and about 20 hours of your time. Congratulations, you now have a min-max ready character!

Korvara is different.

You hop into game in-character, and there's no OOC state to protect yourself from the horrors of player interaction. You're presented with two options with which to spend your time; go roleplay it up and make some friends in-character, piss off the local Don, and get dragged into a conspiracy plot, or you can go grind. There's nothing saying you can't make some connections while grinding, but I'm confident when I say that most players don't put the bulk of their roleplaying into the grindfest; at most, it's a good way to meet a couple people and move towards 'regular' roleplaying. It takes a lot of time to get the most out of either option; you want a mix-max ready character? You can either grind your life away for a couple weeks to a month to get your perfect :veteranplayer:, or you can just do it every now and then while making those aforementioned in-character connections.

One of these is a LOT nicer to the 'always IC, always evolving' world Korvara was intended to be. You don't incentivize roleplay in a roleplaying game with a big, flashy 'ROLEPLAY HERE' banner, you incentivize it with mechanical systems. As far as I'm concerned, this was one of the best moves Dev has ever made; I've heard SO many anecdotes about finding characters in seemingly random places and just... roleplaying with them. Experienced it, too.

I've also seen silent protagonist, 4x mercenary grindlords bash their face into spatials for several hours, instead. Their ideal of a perfect book is possible, but discouraged by the grind and the systems in place here. If that's the kind of content they're looking for, Sigrogana serves as a perfect alternative for that to exist already.

Making mechanics and a full LE book the 'end-all-be-all' or even BEGINNING of the time spent on Korvara sounds... shallow and awful. Even if you do grind for ages and get your full book and :veteranplayer:, it's not going to give you much more than what you'd get with a regular 60. It also doesn't stop someone from simply saying NO to mechanical combat, either.

TL;DR: Korvara is heavily incentivized to be more roleplay-centric because of the time investment required to do things.
[-] The following 2 users Like Collector's post:
  • Shujin, Snake

Messages In This Thread
[Korvara] EXP / The Grind - by BoberJones - 07-14-2022, 05:44 AM
RE: [Korvara] EXP / The Grind - by Shujin - 07-14-2022, 08:19 AM
RE: [Korvara] EXP / The Grind - by Snake - 07-14-2022, 03:09 PM
RE: [Korvara] EXP / The Grind - by BoberJones - 07-14-2022, 06:29 PM
RE: [Korvara] EXP / The Grind - by Autumn - 07-14-2022, 06:50 PM
RE: [Korvara] EXP / The Grind - by Rendar - 07-14-2022, 07:48 PM
RE: [Korvara] EXP / The Grind - by Collector - 07-20-2022, 12:16 AM
RE: [Korvara] EXP / The Grind - by adamkad1 - 07-20-2022, 04:54 PM
RE: [Korvara] EXP / The Grind - by Snake - 07-21-2022, 02:03 AM