Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.56 Average
General thoughts and Opinions off the chest
(03-03-2023, 09:33 PM)Dystopia Wrote: As for your points, I wholeheartedly agree, in most of those cases we do give people clear, full explanations of why they were banned. 

Unfortunately the last several cases where there's been an uproar in response to a ban, they've been harassment-related bans. Thus our policy is what it is, and we stick to it.

Then there has been a miscommunication in the line breaks for the last few bans that we gotta take care of too!! All parties involved very clearly felt that the explanation was not pointed enough towards what needed to be corrected - and three of the four all have also all claimed to have not done anything of their notice, which wasn't pointed out at the time of the ban. If it's been done by this point, then hell yeah!! But that kinda stuff should happen at least shortly after to minimize the entire fallout - and the situation we gots now is very clearly what happens when it doesn't.

I'm glad that y'all do make the attempt, but even when it's a harassment case - you don't have to point out who's involved, and you can generalize what's happened, if that makes any sense? Like...

So if User A is basically constantly taunting User B about a specific subject that's very sore to them, and neither of them know each other well - only through the roles of a nation.
Then you'd want to approach it sort-of like: "Mocking other users about very specific parts of themselves, their characters, or their roleplay is considered a form of harassment, even if it wasn't actually intended to be. You have to be sure that you're not play-bullying someone you aren't sure of your friendship with, and not do so if they're not someone you actually consider close. In the future, it's suggested that you check in with these people if you didn't mean it. Regardless, consider this [a warning/reason for your temporary ban]."

Gotta note I've never been a moderator of a huge server game like SL2. Maybe mini Minecraft or Discords before. But as a user, I really want to be told exactly what I'm doing wrong. My first thought isn't going to be "oh shit I know who I did that to lemme go shitcan 'em", it's gonna be like "shit I did that? Wow, I was on some sort of crack cocaine that day". That could just be my entirely shit memory, though.
There's just a LOT of ways that one can negate the potential effect of just outright saying a name. It just feels like that when you're banned for harassment, the procedure is overextending protection at the expense of being able to tell people what they actually need to correct, which isn't going to be beneficial for anybody.
User A getting banned after potential months of evidence collecting, and then having very little to go off of for anywhere from several hours to a few days isn't going to make them think about their actions, because they've been doing a lot in that amount of time. Real-life stuff, other RP stuff, anything - you really can't just tell someone "you know what you did" when they ask for any clarification, because it just makes them paranoid as all hell that anything they can or would do is now under a microscope. And it's really not a pleasant feeling to have - coming from someone who's been put there in a lot of different places.

quick edit go [vine boom]:
[Image: Exf7L3R.png]
[Image: 5HkCz2Q.png]
[Image: s0bdkqm.png]
[-] The following 5 users Like Shadbase's post:
  • Anhita, Frozen, Mewni, Snake, Toffee

Messages In This Thread
RE: General thoughts and Opinions off the chest - by Shadbase - 03-03-2023, 09:58 PM