Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP 'power'
I'm heavily againts any sort of alignment, hometown or such being anyhow mechanicaly. Along with changes to that, or anything. Because that'd require some sort of RP checks and would go againts what we currently have. It'd be a complete overhaul of system that's pretty freeform.

Power is defined by stats and then OOC (transformed to IC ) wits on how to fight, therefore it can vary quite easily. When someone roleplays an incredibly powerful being and doesn't have the stats and capabilities (Read : PvP tactics) to prove it, well, then you just have pretty bad roleplay. People have to realize that the mechanics in place do influence RP. (Often did I meet people that roleplayed having "incredible strenght" but when it came to stat comparison, I had atleast twenty more. Therefore, I was stronger even ICly. And if people don't want to accept that because "screw mechanics, we're here to RP, why are you bad in RPing wow go away", then that's pretty much bad judgement on their part. )
The point of it is this, they build their character to have, so we put a precise number, 70 STR. Hard to archieve, right? And then comes a roleplay fight, without any mechancis involved to simulate it. Yes. I believe I can win that armwrestling contest againts you. And judging by what I've seen, I can pretty much crush your puny arm without any effort. Try to RP a fight through that, when the person with mediocre strength poorly roleplays that they're capable of holding up againts me easily.

tl;dr - Stats define your raw capabilities. If there is a major difference, there's just no way around it. Which very few are actualy willing to admit, which is why people go straight for PvP. If the dicerolling had a some sort of a DnD style check for stats, IE. "LET'S ARMWRESTLE." X rolls for strength - Y rolls for strenght. X wins with style! THEN, it'd be applicable. (Not showing actual numbers, mind you. Perhaps of the roll, but not stats.) Not everyone is comfortable with sharing their stats, because well, meta. (I could see some pickpocketing being actualy done on a wider scale than "Can I please pickpocket you." "Bah fine." )

But it's not really what the topic is about, althrough something perhaps worth expanding on.

Messages In This Thread