Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Let's talk about the bans and GM intervention
I'm going to preface this post with the fact that everything I'm about to type is absolutely coming from a place of frustration and I normally try my best to not let myself act off such things, but a part of me is hoping that maybe it'll manage to get things through to certain people. I'm sorry if I end up accidentally offending someone or being to aggressive, I'm going to do my best not to, but some things I feel need to be said. And even then, I might not say it all because I really am trying my best to be respectful here.

I'm going to start with the biggest thing, and that is how the admin team handles and treats the community. I've only experienced this game and community for roughly a year, maybe a bit more, and I continually see problems pop up in the community again and again, and old players saying "Oh this happened in the past, I already know how this is going to play out." Usually with the expectations that nothing is going to happen from it. A prime example is the very thing this thread is mainly based on. A large portion of the community spoke up and voiced their frustrations (In this thread especially), many were even offering their own suggestions and ideas for how the community and admins both could do better, myself included. 

However, there's a common denominator here, and after being with the community for what most here would probably consider a short amount of time, I understand why "Oh this happened in the past, I already know how this is going to play out." is consistently the response. Every time anything of note happens, there has been a common denominator. The admins go silent and only respond when entirely necessary, or directly called out. I understand that this could've been a case of formulating a proper response to handle everything properly and communicate as well as possible, but the issue is that, these responses are only ever given to alleviate or better the public eye. I've not once seen a proper response given to remedy anything whatsoever up to this point in relation to backlash of any sort.

Normally I try to put myself in the shoes of others as to broaden my spectrum of opinions on matters like this, but for now, I'm just going to vent my own frustrations with this fact. What that does for me, is makes me feel like there is little to no actual respect towards the community and it's more of a "Oh no, the community is acting up again. I'll just give them as much as they need until they shut up and I can move on." If I'm honest, that is where the majority of my frustration is coming from, that exact feeling that I consistently get from the admin team (ALMOST) as a whole act in. I'm not going to say every single admin, just most. I respect Balthie's past attempt to genuinely go out of their way and address these issues, I respect Karidan and value the things he does in the background with how he properly treats players and gives them genuine respect.

Next up, something that absolutely, positively both surprised and disgusted me with a certain area of the community. Not the whole community, but it's surprising how many. In a somewhat recent thread, (This one specifically) I... I understand that when something is said or asked enough, or something that is super obvious to someone as a really old player feels as easy as breathing, it can be frustrating or even headache inducing when someone asks you about these things. It's like, "Well duh, this." But... Even then, even in those scenarios where you're done with someone, frustrated and absolutely just GROANING at their very existence, why would you choose to openly berate them and act like their opinions are worthless rather than walk away and let someone else help them? 

Now, I'm going to speak from my personal opinion here, just as I have been the entire rest of this post and say that, I believe the reason why, aka, answering my own question, is that some of the community are defensive about this game, and they feel attacked when any single problem is brought up about it, or things related to it, such as, this very topic itself, or bringing up the mistakes of Dev/the admin team. I believe this very concept is a huge reason why a lot of the community is so split and unable to come together to really push any huge fixes to itself as well, if I can be so blunt.

Ultimately, if the admins continue to just blatantly ignore any backlash or complaints from the community or just give only when necessary, nothing will change as the community itself is split so wide that there's practically a whole discord server for every 5 person group badmouthing the admins or talking badly about other players just trying to have fun. And mind you, having discord servers for groups isn't a bad thing. But it is a bad thing when it's actively being used to exclude or specifically made to keep secrets or to be exclusive in some way or form in regards to this community when it's made FROM this community.

I will now get back to feeling nice and enjoying my time with my friends and those I care about doing things other than this. Take care, and to anyone I may have offended, I hope something nice happens to cheer you up.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kyratio's post:
  • Dezark, Mother

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's talk about the bans and GM intervention - by Kyratio - 03-29-2023, 09:04 AM