Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How do ya'll feel about Monstrous Homunculi?
I suppose I should actually throw my hat into the ring and get talking.

I %100 agree with Turadis. There's not a doubt in my mind that it'll quickly fall apart, and it's one of the key reasons I have never vouched for the removal of applications regarding such characters. And while I'm not comfortable getting into extreme detail in an outlet such as this, there are a myriad of more reasons even beyond what Turadis has stated here in favor of keeping it application-only.

Then it comes to the topic of how people treat such characters. I do agree that our community tends to take one look at monster characters and go "this is my friend now, we are pals". And I do agree that it can be an issue, getting in the way of RP more than helping. Refering back to the situation Ray mentioned, that did majorly slow down a lot of how the situation could have been handled. BUT, that'll never change in any situation. The second a player character is the subject of a controversy stemming from a course of horrible actions, and the character isn't an obvious villain or is well liked in some way, the community splits itself on how to deal with them, both ICly and OOCly. The end result is almost always a redemption arc, that character suddenly becoming inactive and no longer being a problem, or some big OOC fuss that never ends well for anybody.

Honestly, I love monstrous homunculi. I love the idea of inhuman monsters in general. Whether that inhumanity comes from a similar appearance to certain monsters, extra limbs, or even bordering on those "anthro" qualities. Obviously, I'm biased, just look at my character application. But the situation is complex, and while I don't think the community's response to such characters would be a problem in-and-of-itself, I do think that the issues voiced by Turadis would absolutely occur. These types of characters should absolutely be kept to application and application alone. However, I think the rulings on the characters' appearances should be more lax, making it more of a background check of the character's reason for looking that way, and the player's history.

So, to sum up my opinion on the matter:
Don't you dare allow these types of characters to exist without an application.
And, less seriously, I do want them to be more accepted as legitimate characters. There's a lot of good story opportunity in such designs, and, they're just plain fun.
[-] The following 5 users Like Eggyboi's post:
  • Chugma, Dezark, Poruku, Soul_Hacker, Turadis

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do ya'll feel about Monstrous Homunculi? - by Eggyboi - 06-16-2023, 01:32 AM