Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ilyas - Special Technique Request
I would like to continue forward with this technique, if at all possible, so if apping for necromancy in full is the preferred route for that I'm fully willing to. I would like to ask a few questions to clarify some points you've made, though, as I don't believe I fully grasp the contentious parts of this app.

It's fairly clear that this technique is considered powerful, but it seems that there's an issue with underutilization of it in reference to the intentions I outlined following your first set of clarifying questions. Is this the case? And if so what would more preferred uses for this technique be in the Korvara setting?

There also seems to be some disconnect between us in the area of how much potential a soul has for use. As far as I've been able to find Souls are just spirits that still have a personality and/or memories. I'm aware that they're useful for the creation of certain forms of homunculi. If there's further lore regarding the capabilities of a soul I'd be grateful to hear it, as parsing SL2 lore for any given topic is a task in and of itself.

I'd also like to take a moment to re-emphasize the limitations regarding control of the contracted souls.

While I stated that the wording of the contract could have influence over the soul's behavior I now feel that I was too vague in that description.

The level of influence I intend in this technique should be thought of more along the lines of mild conditioning as opposed to control. A good real life comparison would be service animals. If an animal is predisposed towards behavior conducive towards acting as a service animal then training it to that end would produce favorable results. An animal that is naturally feral or that doesn't develop the same sort of social bonds as humans could never realistically be used for such tasks.

To wit, dogs can make for good service animals, hippos cannot.

The most the contract is capable of is skipping the 'training' so to speak, and even then the soul of an intelligent entity wouldn't show the same level of obedience as an actual service animal, even if they were predisposed to such behavior. Anyone with a developed enough sense of self would, at most, feel only a slight, seemingly natural compulsion to behave in ways the contract outlines if it is not immediately contrary to their nature.

Finally, to address the point of engaging with the community at large; that's not really my intention or focus with this.

While I recognize that actions taken with this particular technique have the potential for an overarching effect on world plot and that's something to be taken into account for matters of approval, my only real goal is to be involved with instance by instance stories/plots. It's one of the reasons I've put so much emphasis on making it clear that any other characters benefiting from this technique in any sort of unique capacity would have to deal with their own apping process for whatever they may have in mind.

tl;dr - If apping for necromancy in full is the next step then I'm fully willing to. Would it be preferred that I start a new application for that altogether, or is this post a good enough starting point for that?

As one further note, I'm entirely willing to drop the reflavoring of steal and negotiate if that's a particularly large hang-up, the main reason I intended to reflavor them in this app is because. . . I mean. . . How do you tangibly steal someone's motivation? Or negotiate with someone to get poison out of your veins?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ilyas - Special Technique Request - by Shade Genkai - 06-28-2023, 08:15 PM