Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Korvara Retrospective
I don't really like to comment with my own perspective on things but I figured I throw in my own point of view.

Korvara has things I like and things I don't like, I adore the more public aspect of roleplay and it was much more organic and fulfilling to find RP naturally during the early days of it, some of my fondest memories of the shift were all pretty early on before I swiftly retreated to back to being my anti-social and sponge of negativity self. I ran in multiple hurdles when I was finally returning to be more consistent with RP, between getting hard screwed over by one of the initial leaders, to a majority of the people I was looking forward to RPing with leaving another nation and finally the cesspool of negativity that happened in the wake of a bunch of miscommunication that happened during Beggar's Hole, leaving me a bit jaded until I found my personal fun months later after going through a failed relationship at the time.

I think back and look at the Great Six and wonder, was it really that better and frankly speaking? No, it wasn't, honestly they both have big negatives. But the Great Six had something that I heavily feel day to day; the ability to just... do whatever you wanted and see if people would engage with it; nowadays if I consider any sort of idea I have to consider it within the context of Korvara and try to keep things tame and grounded within the setting, it has led to me pulling out my hair and wondering how to do x or y when we have limited space to work with for both events and as a player. It can end up being both frustrating and demoralizing when you have to talk to five different people and potentially one of them saying 'No' or simply not liking the concept could hard deny whatever you're working towards. While on the Great Six, anyone could start up whatever concept in some house drop a LFG/DM and see if anyone bites without the need to go through multiple parties besides a GM for approval in some instances.

When it comes to the game itself, I've never really been interest in the PVP aspect of Korvara to tell the truth? My honest opinion is that I find the current state of the game equally frustrating and not very fun when it comes to builds as someone who's been running a suboptimal Ghost/DH wielding two swords and trying to dodge. (Impossible!) In the prior state of the game, or potentially according to my rose tinted glasses; a lot of builds were doable or didn't have a significant gap between them. With Evade and DEF/RES adjustments, the gap between a Black Knight and another class without any personal DRs in terms of tankiness is like heaven and earth much like how a Spellthief vs Ghost when it comes to the evade compartment. You could argue that this creates a stronger identity for these classes but I frankly... don't care? I personally don't find it fun, so why should I bother? 

As for the community itself, I frankly feel like the community has improved leaps and bounds as someone who has been on this game for ten years now; it's actually insane to me how much the community has come together in a sense, there's much stronger community bonds and interaction within the community than there was ever, prior to Korvara most people talked in discord servers for guilds as they often didn't want to bother with the main server of SL2 for one reason or another, but now? I see a constant stream of people planning and trying to sort out matters rather than fuming in the dark like many including myself did. While I do have gripes with Korvara, it's astounding how much it did for the overall community as a whole.

At the end of the day, I miss the creative freedom that the G6 gave me even if that was an indirect result of people being upset with the 'stagnation' and I love the maps and open nature of Korvara which allows for much more organic RP but the lack of initial leader vetting and creative outlets led me to feeling more burned out than I'd like to admit.

FREE VORPAL
[-] The following 4 users Like Miller's post:
  • ClaudeScythe, Fern, Poruku, Skimmy2

Messages In This Thread
Korvara Retrospective - by Poruku - 07-10-2023, 03:43 PM
RE: Korvara Retrospective - by Fern - 07-10-2023, 08:04 PM
RE: Korvara Retrospective - by Poruku - 07-10-2023, 08:25 PM
RE: Korvara Retrospective - by Soul_Hacker - 07-10-2023, 08:33 PM
RE: Korvara Retrospective - by Ray2064 - 07-10-2023, 09:58 PM
RE: Korvara Retrospective - by Poruku - 07-10-2023, 08:48 PM
RE: Korvara Retrospective - by caliaca - 07-10-2023, 09:04 PM
RE: Korvara Retrospective - by Poruku - 07-10-2023, 09:48 PM