Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The state of "antags" (and conflict?)
The tone set by this conversation has grown to be an upsetting sight. I'll attempt to keep my thoughts surmised, and brief as possible.

Antagonists
       You can play a simple cut-purse, a glorious bastard, a depressed wayward soul, a bandit, a murderer, a psychopath; anything. May it have the depth of the entire ocean or a kiddy-pool; anything. It is the intent held through the creation which colors, and changes the results. When the creation made shall inflict harm, the same should be expected in kind. But more importantly; the need to show whoever fought back's efforts had meaning. To feel useless, or feeble, can provide a good driving force for any character. Engagement is the key. Say I play a psychopathic anarchist; bent upon destroying everything wantonly. The personality constructed is enjoyable to me, deep and complex, but absolutely a deranged being; illogical. When someone attempts to stop this being? I'd pronounce what damages others do to the character, engage in small talk whether in say, or via 'actions' emoted. It is to show the persons efforts are being heeded, understood, and welcomed. So too I understand that character's life span will be short-- it's meant to be. The creation in the example has done heinous acts for selfish reasons, and sown pain, discord, and worse. If someone intends to take their life? I understand fully why. It's happened far too many times. Eventually, the forgiveness of others and leeway provided will dry up upon doing persistent horrible actions. What else is there left for someone to do than need to bring down heavier punishment in due time? What am I to expect that other person to respond with, when my character hasn't changed, and continues to cause problems onto others?

Intent. It is by intent everything changes. Where one is either playing a creation for others to enjoy bouncing off of, or to simply stir up the pot and make things happen. Both are acceptable, and I'll not dare say otherwise. The way someone chooses to enjoy what they create will not be negotiable in my mind. It's a freeform art that is a treasure. But if the latter is made? People will react by majority unfavorably, and see it as a lost cause to try and engage with beyond 'dealing with the problem'. The same way people look on a reckless, unchanging Protagonist who rushes into the fray and endangers his fellow friends time and again without any progression or alteration as a person. As with anything, there is consequence. To not be self aware unto the fact leaves an author of an antagonist as guilty as the protagonists opposing them for engaging without any effort in kind-- or who treat those efforts in disrespect.

Effort is a two-way road that isn't always rewarded. In conflicts between the two forces, or even in the day-to-day activities both face whilst roaming. You will meet people who unfortunately do not respect the vision. Or some whom will not 'vibe' with what you're putting forward. Antagonists have to deal with this most frequently due to their nature. Others too are more unforgiving than the rest, and too harsh on even the silly, and light-hearted variety. This I too find unacceptable. It however is the same hurdle which every player faces even when not at odds against one another. Not everyone can jive together, but can with others. If nothing else? We can see to it that all is dealt with fairly. As it should be. Equivalent to the actions done. But I will always believe this:

Engagement. People want an experience that feels like their engagement will matter. That's the responsibility of every player to try and provide. Whether antagonist, protagonist, or anyone else. 
[Image: PersonalNecessaryArmyworm-size_restricted.gif]
Dyrnwyn, ERUPT, and IGNITE!
[-] The following 4 users Like Stenzio's post:
  • Dezark, Dystopia, Fern, Skimmy2

Messages In This Thread
The state of "antags" (and conflict?) - by Poruku - 07-27-2023, 03:08 AM
RE: The state of "antags" (and conflict?) - by Stenzio - 07-28-2023, 11:19 PM