Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What is required before having a visible injury due to preceeding RP?
RP is a collaborative effort. Before acting on something, you need to collaborate with the person on the other end on what is happening in a particular scene. People always take these topics to the extreme of "so people are allowed to avoid all consequences to their actions", and that's simply not true. Within reason people can avoid bad things happening, but abusing that to get out of a sticky situation will end up with snowballing consequences down the line, and the possibility of a forced danger level. There are things in place for if someone's denial of injuries they would likely deserve becomes problematic.

Now, this recent case is nothing to do with "You hit me and I say I take no injury", and it worries me that a recent ban has led to a skewed perspective for the uninvolved, because that makes me feel like someone in that situation could be skewing the story to make it seem like they did nothing wrong. Which would be alarming, but that's besides the point.

If someone RPs something like a simple slap towards you, that's the kind of thing that happens and then you just move on. No likely injuries. If you then escalate it and make injuries for yourself, you turn that RP into a whole other topic. A much more sensitive topic, at that. This is not right to do without communication, because you're escalating the severity of something not meant to be that severe, and you're changing the fundamental theme of the story in that situation to something that could be uncomfortable for some. This is something you only do with the consent of the involved. In this instance, not everyone is comfortable having domestic conflict RP in their lives, and being deprived of a say in the matter because someone took your actions to be worse than you intended them to be does cross a line.

An age old comparison has always been void poisoning. You hit someone with a cheeky black bolt and now they're roleplaying having void poisoning and advancing to phase 2. They've made you responsible for the inevitable demise of their character, created severe consequences and criminal charges for you in a nation (probably), and didn't ask if you wanted that. While theoretically possible, just like a bruise to a slap and the spiralling nature that sounds to have come of that, in acting this way they take an anti-collaborative approach to RP and essentially ruin someone's experience.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is required before having a visible injury due to preceeding RP? - by WaifuApple - 02-20-2024, 07:08 PM