Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What is required before having a visible injury due to preceeding RP?
I wanna add my last 2 thoughts. First is that it's on both participants to communicate stuff, and I don't think everyone is necessarily obligated to double check in looc about every reaction they make. It's good when you're unsure, and it's good practice to do it, but then if you think you're making an appropriate reaction, you can't always know what the other person was thinking. It's easy to look at things in retrospect and say "communicate, people", but in the moment you might have thought it was an obvious reaction. An observer might see it as something else. The other roleplayer might see it as exaggeration. Third parties who hear about the event might see it another way. What's the point of putting blame? This is their problem. This is something they should work out, and only if they fail to come to an understanding, should it be brought to others, like GMs. Except when you bring something to a GM you usually get someone banned and make the situation even more hostile.

If someone isn't comfortable with a reaction then it's kind of on them to say that when it happens, too. If there's failure in communication on both sides then it's something to resolve between those players, and you can just make a retcon. Why put the burden of communication on the person being injured this time? Usually it's put on me, the injurer. It should be both.

Secondly, regardless, in my eyes this is in the realm of a faux-pas, not a breach of the rules worthy of a ban. There's a million things that could happen that result in unintended consequences. Hell, I'm someone who has made plenty of faux-pas, creating situations that people didn't like, causing characters harm that they didn't sign up for. I failed to communicate many times, resulting in people feeling pressured into accepting combat or injury they didn't want. That's just one of the risks we run into when doing rp, an opportunity to learn from it, to learn what others prefer, figure out how to more forward, and do better next time. This is something we work on, not get banned about.

This thread is a lot of people saying "we should do this", "here is how to rp properly", but I'm just not convinced this can be counted as godmodding. Hell, isn't it godmodding to slap someone and want them to react in a specific way?

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is required before having a visible injury due to preceeding RP? - by Poruku - 02-20-2024, 08:01 PM