Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Racial Shoehorning
I'd finally be able to make Mr. Krabs and dodge my taxes...

Jokes aside, I'd love some kind of alternative to how you build your character. As it stands, your race is incredibly important (and maybe TOO important) in how you'll end up building your character single-handedly because of how their funny statistics line up, even ending up with innate racials as an afterthought at times.

(Insert long winded rant about the silly number besides your race's CEL/DEF/RES determining whether you can be a functioning (xyz) build or not here).

I don't think that should be the case though. I think most would agree that IC/RP should always take priority to whatever you end up doing, but sometimes the game itself would never support your idea. From Felidaes who want to tank with their 1 DEF and RES to Wyverntouched who want to dodge with their 1 CEL and the many 0 FAI races who want to priest, (etc.), it just won't ever be in their favor when compared to someone playing an "optimal" race for their build.

Traits would be an interesting way to see about remedying this. Though I personally think it might just be a curse of the game's structure itself alongside needing to tip-toe around PvP balancing.

...Take for example Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition; while your race can surely help guide you to what class you should play, you aren't ever entirely shoehorned into playing a specific class or set-up. Not to mention the races there only come with cool benefits because of the race you chose rather than dissuading you with debilitating downsides (looking at you, Homonculi). At worst, you get maybe slightly less movement speed and/or IC racism (which could turn out to be fun).

Sure that's not a game that (usually) has PvP to balance but my point should stand...

TL;DR: There's almost too much weight behind one of the first choices a SL2 player has to make with no way to change it later down the line (ignoring humans) if they made a mistake or realize it's not what they want, along with a lack of flexibility/player expression because of how rigid races and their stats work on a fundamental level.
[Image: TvQhtZb.gif][Image: j2EbbS4.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheCommonNoob's post:
  • MothEnthusiast

Messages In This Thread
Racial Shoehorning - by Druby - 08-05-2024, 11:50 PM
RE: Racial Shoehorning - by Sawrock - 08-06-2024, 12:24 AM
RE: Racial Shoehorning - by Rendar - 08-06-2024, 01:43 AM
RE: Racial Shoehorning - by Ray2064 - 08-06-2024, 02:07 AM
RE: Racial Shoehorning - by Poruku - 08-06-2024, 05:21 AM
RE: Racial Shoehorning - by TheCommonNoob - 08-06-2024, 12:01 PM
RE: Racial Shoehorning - by MothEnthusiast - 08-06-2024, 05:37 PM
RE: Racial Shoehorning - by Snake - 08-06-2024, 08:16 PM