Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On-Dodge Passives that are kinda bad
Okay so first of all, the mentality that you're doing nothing with pray is something I wholeheartedly disagree with. . And with passion at that.
I already said Pray is really strong. And that's with merit. The fp regen isn't what makes it strong. Its the weakest part of it in fact. Blue potions are literally way better. (Though they're also better than basically every fp regen skill in the game except the one or two that heal fp over time, but I digress.)

Regardless: The fact it buffs your luck by half of your UNSCALED faith, makes you effectively immune to crits. And it also boosts the positive duration of all beneficial effects you have on all of your allies. By two rounds. (Not even considering the bonus effects it can lay down. Icing on the cake.)
This can even include stuff like initiative or battle rush, overload amulet, debuff immunity, baphomet's offering, Anything. Its really really strong. Using it turn one is not really a bad call sometimes. Keep the extra first move bonus and battle rush and all of the above. Its also not a bad call turn 2 when enemies are closer for the anti crit to kick in, and for you to have already spent a turn buffing everyone. Pairs extremely well with the aquamancer heal in a rainstorm that hits all allies, too.

With that out of the way. . . Curate already has pacifist boon. Having a free 85 armor and magic armor is NOT okay. Hell, even 10 armor and magic armor isn't okay. The class already has Aegis to begin with, too. Fanatic isn't good for the game. Curate is already a very tanky, very well supported heal and buff class, granting it even more survivability to such an absurd level, or even at all is just not fair. It does not work on a conceptual level, unless perhaps it was something that only works if you dodge a monster's attack. And if you just want something neat for curate dodgers to have. . I'd say just make it do something with convert and calm and stuff. Like if you dodge a monster's attack you automatically attempt to calm them, or convert them if they're already calm. That'd be interesting and give them something extra to do, without giving an already crazy class something it doesn't need that'd make other players feel like pulling their hair out if they dodge. Healers don't need more incentive to just sit back and heal, or rely on summons which would bypass the inflicting damage stipulation entirely anyway.

And for the record I did give alternate paths to some of the skills. I don't think saying you weren't given any constructive criticism at all is unfair. We blatantly said that giving things for free to someone who *already* blanked your entire attack action will just be giving players more bad feels without adding anything constructive to the game. On a fundamental level, there's only so much constructive criticism you can give if you disagree with an idea. If someone said to add the super longsword's insta win potential to a class, there isn't too much I could say other than: "No that'd ruin the game, please don't."
However if I did come across as mean or toxic or just. . Annoyed in general, I apologize. It wasn't my intention and I do truly appreciate that you go out of your way to post suggestions, and that you feel comfortable enough to do so for this community. Its helpful regardless of our opinions on the actual requests and suggestions.
I really don't think that dodgers need more win more buttons, and if you wanted more interesting dodge abilities i'd say you should tie them to actual momentum costs, and not make them so crazy. Its a very dangerous balancing act making dodging just. . .Do even more for already stopping your entire action. It'd be like if body of isesp also did some crazy bullshit when it stopped your attack. That'd just feel horrible.
(I understand the fundamental difference there, but some people genuinely can't hit some dodgers and have no ability to do so at all. And that's a crushing feeling.)

Additionally If for some reason these techniques don't trigger on dodging non basics despite not mentioning it, then they should be updated to mention that or be changed to also work on skills. But i'm not sure they even don't in the first place. Definitely. That seems kind of silly.

However it also isn't fair to balance a class in a vacuum. Unless that skill is specifically required to have the class be mained and subbed to use it. Like Aquamancer's crest break. Saying the cobra technique is fine because soldier has no inherent dodge buffs on its own doesn't make giving a busted dodge thing to them okay. Some races have evasiveness techniques. A lot of equipment does. And some classes can on their own hit the +50 buff cap just as is. Subbed or mained. Its not hard to hit the dodge cap as a demon hunter. Cobra gives 5 evade by default while you're in it too.

And finally for the updates. . .Empty pockets doesn't break the game. I doubt it'd be implemented though, we have rules about stealing and such. And it really would just be even more bad feels on top of it. And it'd suck to have a passive that probably isn't even toggleable end up getting you put in jail and executed too. Cool idea but it doesn't really work without oversight from admins saying hey you can't notice this thieving, ever. Which just feels like godmodding. IF it needed to do something else, maybe it just. . . Lets you put your hand back in your pocket? Which only works for you know, one equipment in the game. But that'd be cool, niche, and something new to abuse I suppose. Probably niche enough that it'd be fine to add. Or add the hand in pocket skill to you even without the offhand item, if you have no shield or sub weapon equipped, and have more than one arm.

Security system is probably weaker with what you described. . But maybe people like it more since its all your robots? I Dunno. I feel like maybe it should be a separate passive that changes the effects while toggled on. Or the passive itself has a toggle, for turret or full support. A trade off. that could actually be a very cool idea.

The cobra thing. . still just. . It won't work. For the reasons I said above, I think its a horrible thing for the game. And far too crazy. I can't give any real advice here nor do I have ideas. Cobra is already stupid and I don't think it needs any special super dodge thing. Other than maybe, turning to face them if you dodge. Which, with how flanking currently works, is actually bad.

Static air's still way too weak still.
To put it in perspective, electro shield is 60 damage whenever you're hit by a melee weapon, active for 7 rounds. It costs 3m.
Static air is 25 damage when you dodge, once per round, and costs 3m.

Really think static air should either scale with lightning attack, possibly lightning critical, or just do 50-60 base damage. Electro shield's a promo skill so static air should probably be a little weaker. Then again plenty of pre-promoted stuff is way stronger than promoted stuff so I dunno.
[-] The following 1 user Likes renowner's post:
  • Snake

Messages In This Thread
On-Dodge Passives that are kinda bad - by Snake - 05-21-2023, 10:48 PM
RE: On-Dodge Passives that are kinda bad - by renowner - 05-23-2023, 09:01 PM