Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The state of "antags" (and conflict?)
(07-28-2023, 09:49 PM)Balor Wrote: I find it incredibly discouraging that an Eventmin fails to understand that.  Who rather than taking the time to put in the effort to ensure what they are providing the community mechanically or narratively is rewarding. They'd rather systems be put in place that would allow them to sidestep that notion of accountability and cooperation entirely for their own fun. 
I appreciate your input bro. I think your method is correct, and it's absolutely something I've done many times in the past. It just takes a lot of effort, and time, and can sometimes be quite unrewarding for how much goes into it. So it's something I do only when I'm really motivated, but it's not something I could do regularly.

However, I don't think it's fair to say that I don't understand that. I play this game to have fun, and I am conscious of what it takes to make a complex event-like antagonist. However that's very different. And yeah, the arm thing I find is a bit of an extreme example. But my goal wasn't to actually take someone's arm, but just to create the threat of something like that. The only reason it came down to it is because the player didn't mind. We repeatedly told them it was an extreme thing to have happen and they would probably not want that, but they went with it anyway. Not something I'm proud of either, I prefer antags that don't cause injuries like that. But it's not like such things can't be impactful either, as long as the person is down for those things. We have danger levels for a reason. And of course, the more an antagonist is present and spends time in the world, the more their antagonistic actions have weight. If you chop one arm, you're just a random guy who chopped an arm. If you chop 100 arms, you're THE arm chopper. Anyway it's a bad example but my point is that it's difficult to build up a standard antag. The moment you do a crime you're done, so you have to spend a long time rping as a normal character somewhere beforehand. It's a lot of time investment for something that might lead to your arrest within 15 minutes of your first big crime. Though, with sufficient planning, those things might not happen. But I've had it happen plenty. And once you're arrested, you're done. All those days or weeks of rp are now over just like that. So at some point, it becomes tiring. I understand that it's easier to play non-violent antags, but there's a limit to what you can do with those, and I like pvp.

I also think it's a bit disingenuous to call it "side stepping accountability". Systems are a good way to minimize disagreements and manage expectations. I don't think it's my responsibility to provide quality entertainment that contributes to people's story as an antag. It's something I strive to do, but it's not my job or responsibility. As an eventmin? Yes, that is my responsibility. But we should not confuse antags and events.
[-] The following 2 users Like Poruku's post:
  • Sawrock, Skimmy2

Messages In This Thread
The state of "antags" (and conflict?) - by Poruku - 07-27-2023, 03:08 AM
RE: The state of "antags" (and conflict?) - by Poruku - 07-28-2023, 10:54 PM