Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Lore on Scarcity and "Dungeoneering"
Imagine for a moment, you are playing a poor, downtrodden character. Now you begin roleplaying with people, and they just offer to give you like one thousand murai. Suddenly you don't have to worry about food and bedding for a month, because an inn stay costs 10 murai. A day of food probably costs about 30 murai if we're being generous. So with a thousand murai you can last about 25 days in peace and luxury.

Now these people are telling you you can simply go into dungeons and make a massive amount of money. By killing a few monsters, you can get loot, and even gold bars if you dare to challenge something like the Jammer Omega, a beast of legend that anyone can defeat easily after a short trip through the caves killing a few slimes.

It doesn't matter who you are or where you're from, you're a JRPG character who can go into dungeons and make bank. And the only real way to "play" the game is to grind (most likely the lava lake).

There are people who rp the dungeons as being higher stakes, or more dangerous, but the issue is that there is no specific consensus. There is no rule or even guideline when it comes to what the average person has access to or not. This makes it very difficult to roleplay things such as poverty, scarcity of food, struggle for survival, etc. 

I've even had a guy tell me that if you're hungry you can just go to Telegrad and they'll give you free food. I mean come on, is Telegrad genuinely giving out free food to anyone?

There is also the issue of crime. You know the saying, "crime doesn't pay". Well in SL2, this is absolutely 100% true. Because you would have to be a complete idiot to try robbing people instead of just... Robbing monsters. You'll land in jail for the former while the latter is celebrated. How are bandits supposed to be taken seriously in these conditions?

All in all, it comes down to a disconnect between gameplay and lore. And even though some lore docs make mention of these things, not everyone can be expected to read all the lore docs, and there's definitely some disconnect between players. I would just like some sort of guidelines and such, to have an idea of the following things:

- The difference between the average NPC shmuck and an adventurer who can grind lava lake easily. Do we have a special power? Why can't all these poor workers just pick up a sword and swarm the jammer cavern?
- How is daily life for the masses? What's an average salary?
- How real are the dungeons? How real is the loot? Do we actually find shoes on the corpses of fire elementals?
- What is the cost of everyday things in murai? How much money is rich people money?
- Is all murai gain to be taken fully IC?
- How does life compare for the average citizen between each nation of Korvara?
- Speaking of which, what's the travel time between nations? Can someone from Meiaquar go eat food in Telegrad and come back?

Of course I know in the end the answer is "we just kinda figure it out based on what makes sense and what we need to know for the matter at hand" but sometimes there are definitely disagreements. It sucks when there's a dissonance that takes the sails out of your wind. "Hello I am poor and hungry" "Here is 600 lettuce and 10k murai, you are now ok."
[-] The following 3 users Like Poruku's post:
  • Ray2064, Sawrock, sirtrex

Messages In This Thread
Lore on Scarcity and "Dungeoneering" - by Poruku - 03-06-2024, 08:14 PM