Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
First Draft - Conflict Guidelines & Scene Locking Rules
I think rules like this are certainly a step in the right direction.

From experience with dealing with truly annoying people in the past that draw every card in their disposal to get away with their bullshit, I have to sadly disagree with Jupiter, even though I WISH he was right. Its simply not how it works cause people will rule shark/play to win/Hide behind rules. here are some of the Top annoying things that happend to me in the RP:

1. Suiciding Vampires that keep coming back to attack you. In one specific case, that someone took to the extreme was back then where I was active in Laws End pre-GR even. He always came, was super annoying ICly, trolling us to the point where we decided to pseudo kill him first (cause he was very obvious about being a vampire too) fight->He lost-> He imminently posts suiciding. The next day he is there again and repeats this for like 2 weeks, him slowly trying to swap classes around to specifically counter me. He eventually gave up (thank god) but that was probably mostly because back then, changing your build? was lots of work, so people would less "grief rebuild"...That protection we no longer have cause swapping your whole build 180° is as easy as getting a fruit. Trust me. That's an Issue. 
  2. People that sit behind the protection of OOC rules (ICly hiding inside Cellsvich is fine.) to make their character actively antagonize someone, insult them, provoke them (the best of which, which also have a Guard Alt/friend having them on the ready on discord) to the point where the other character for IC reasons can't even ignore it anymore and is about to hit them for it, either get denied (and then also powerplayed in the RP) and oh so suddenly a guard appears in the place where they usually never show up!...What a coincidence! then you get bagged and soft banned for attempted assault. How is that fun for anyone but the one actively griefing you there and their freind circle. Cause trust me...people play to win, not to enjoy good RP. As sad as that is.
  3. This thing happend relatively recently, right before I quit the game again (Which certainly was also a huge factor in it). A scene unfolded in the Arena, with two characters having a bit of a history so they began to speak with obvious tension between each other. After a bit of back and forth they both decided to leave the area and settle things between them in a more private space, more accurately the home of my character. One guy (again a Vampire) decided to follow. He was ICly as well as OOCly informed that if he follows through with this and enters my home he is automatically consenting to possible character death. He agreed, things unfolded, he was a massive douchebag ICly and no matter how hard I tried to NOT kill him, he actively forced my hand...Pvp->He lost->I RP making sure to freeze him up to a point where he can't move his mouth (I am experienced with suicide vampires at this point)->....He still bites off his tongue and logs out.

I was lucky cause I informed Chaos about those vampire situations I keep running into before and he told me specifically to tell him (big shout out to chaos here, big thanks). I gave him the log explained the situation and he went and "solved" it in a relatively satisfying way. The conclusion was, he survived but was forced to be afraid of my character (or something like that to prevent him trying again) so he can't really use any of that as fuel against me. Its semi satisfying if only for the fact that I do not have to deal with another replay of 1.) in a system that supports this and is currently EXTREMELY broken and pro Tank (which obviously he was, I won because my place had people there. so it wasn't a 1v1). So if Chaos didn't "Save" me there(mostly my sanity), I am sure he would have eventually just killed me after whatever many attempts. Cause eventually you brute force your way through, especially against people that use IC-builds.

Why am I sharing this? Because Jupiter is speaking of an ideal community and ideal situations. I absolutely agree with him, that what he is saying is better/more satisfying. But he simply doesn't have the experience (from what I can tell at least. I know he usually RPs more Neutral/Good characters and is certainly one of the better RPers around) from an more antagonistic perspective and people try harding to snag their wins. I am not even going to point out the try hards that make entirely new characters just for this purpose, so even if they lose and die they lose nothing.
@Walrus I definitely agree with that. I do not know how much that changed with more eventmins I haven't played the game in a while. The thing is why people usually "Drop out" is...Because the alternatives aren't satisfying. Mostly the Soft-bans, those make no one really happy in any RP context. Thats why many people retreat to private RP at the moment. While of course, it makes IC sense its just an alternative "Drop Out" and pause to the RP, just one that you can't manually stop. And considering with how stacked the odds are most probably rather avoid that. My own plot is stagnant since 3+ OOC years in its still in phase 1 maybe beginning of  2. One I used to be invested in is like 5-6 years old by now and still nowhere near the end (Ferns Peter Eustis eventline). And its not possible to interact with any of that unless the event creator cares to continue. Its rather unsatisfying but I also can't really say what should be done to fix it expect encouraging people to not build multiple plot lines parallel to each other and be more focused on one at a time. I just hope that a more fair ruleset/alternative punishments would eventually encourage people to leave their comfort zones.

@Dev I know why you want consent to be given,  but mayhaps an addition that works opposite to "populated cities" would be a bit less frustrating. For example Player homes that are somewhere in the nowhere or ICly dangerous places like Laws End have automatically a higher Danger level, with automated consent given?
Cause I am pretty damm sure if you talk shit to a gang in Laws End, they ain't just giving you a slap on the wrist and it would prevent stuff like my case 1. where people do not give consent to character death and come back to literally haunt you.

I feel this would also further enhance the Immersive feel of those places truly being dangerous. For player houses, maybe having an entry message ala "Hey, this place is XY. Its dangerous, by RPIng here you automatically consent to Danger Level X". I know many people won't abuse that, but at the same time it gives people that come there to grief less incentive to play unrealistically suicidal.

Another line I would suggest to clarify, upon vampire suicide with tools is, that they can't instantly use their sword, after losing a PVP encounter to end themselves, for example. To give the winner the chance to disarm them first or something along those lines.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shujin's post:
  • Noxid

Messages In This Thread
RE: First Draft - Conflict Guidelines & Scene Locking Rules - by Shujin - 11-12-2020, 09:25 AM