Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.17 Average
The Flaws and Benefits of Version 2.49
(08-31-2021, 11:37 PM)Senna Wrote: Two weeks before the first fix patch and we're singing the revert song. Even as a one-man developer, that's quite discouraging considering how many hours he spends on it.

I'd rather give it a few months' worth and see the outcome than before deciding if I want to join that change song. As it is, it's still new and needs adjustments.

There are many problems with the current game system as some things are overtuned and some are just weak. I don't believe we should be considering a system reversal as it's only been two weeks with no balance update as yet, I can't say I don't agree with some of the points made.

I apologize but this comes off heavily as an elaborate strawman as a majority of the arguments presented against this system in previous posts were not tackled whatsoever in this post. Dev has mentioned he expected this sort of situation to pop up from the beginning when he decided to do these sweeping changes where players may or may not be satisfied with the changes presented and a vocal part of the community happens to disagree with the new system for evasion.

One of the core issues with the new evasion systems presented is the fact that you MUST build hit. You either have 60 scaled skill or you're either dealing with 60% Damage Reduction or effectively 100% damage reduction; heavily pooling the momentum economy in the other sides favor if even a singular move fails to nail both hit checks. This is only the icing on the cake though, because your true hit rate is effectively Hit Rate ^ 2 to completely ignore glancing/evasion. This turns a 50% hit rate into a 25% hit rate, 75% into 56%, Maksim addressed this in his post, as this is the absolute reverse function of similar systems incorporated in Fire Emblem to make high and low odds more/less favorable than they actually are in a strategy game.

Glancing Blows as a system also, 1) Ignores a fair amount of inflicts and on hits/on critical, including Fleur and a multitude of statuses without any semblance of status resistance for the cost of a singular stat and likely a torso slot after evade has been removed from luck.

This system would have to be reworked even further to function as hit is required to dominate evade by a fair margin for it to be remotely fair as 60% DR while ignoring inflicts or 100% evasion with no strings attached is completely absurd. 

Not to mention this also applies on every single instance of damage including 'basic hits' as it is, it's incredibly discouraging to get a critical on someone only for a superfluous glancing to deny the extra momentum you'd get from that strike. 

As Apple just mentioned, this has been in the works for a while; it hasn't been just 'two weeks', it's been a lot longer than that and the people who have initially had heavy doubts about this system begrudgingly accepted it being pushed into live hoping it'd be better in action. So it's definitely the right time to voice our discontent if any at all.

With that said, my personal desire was for the old style of evasion to be kept with a few adjustments to the DR + evasion allowing them to dodge on hit effects with some exceptions. (No, this system would only apply to autos.) The reasoning for the old system was because it encouraged building hit without making it borderline mandatory, while the new system as it is, is a polarizing system that enforces a 'hit tax' that is practically mandatory unless you somehow have every single evasion ignoring skill available.

I can go on and on about my discontent with this system but I'll pause here because I feel like others in this thread have put my thoughts into better words than I ever will.

TLDR; Glancing Blows as a system is a polarizing system that lies to your face about your true hit rate and enforces a mandatory hit tax, forcing every player to run at least 60 scaled SKI and/or bloodhunt/blessed to avoid running into DR that ignores a fair amount of inflicts that's even higher than most tanks sporting BK and 60 scaled DEF.
[-] The following 7 users Like Miller's post:
  • Autumn, Fern, Hiazro, Illumi, Lewdcifer, Mr.SmileGod, Snake

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Flaws and Benefits of Version 2.49 - by Miller - 09-01-2021, 12:18 AM