Poll: Are you satisfied with the current state of the event staff?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
57.14%
16 57.14%
No
42.86%
12 42.86%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Current State Of The Event Staff
I can see where a majority of these points stem from, though I do believe you might've come off a bit too strong with assumptions (while reasonable) about the activity of eventmins and whom we do them for. So I'll try to address each point from my own opinion and perspective.
  • As it stands right now, public events run by eventmins are completely lacking in terms of being a thing.
I agree actually, there's been a distinct lack of public events from the event team and while I do understand the desire for more; most of the team are generally more suited for less numbers. Events with more than 8-12 players are nearly impossible to manage without sacrificing a great deal of quality which often means storytelling takes a giant cut and roleplaying can often take a huge dip in quality as a result. That said, our tools aren't actually generally that robust, we can spawn mobs, animations and load a mob onto ourselves + apply statuses and now damage with the recent update. While this is enough, it becomes increasingly straining and stressing the more players that are brought into the fray and we have to spread ourselves out even more. The level of build competency in giant public events also varies drastically, which often results in eventmins making difficulties. (Which requires us to make new separate encounters and plan mob scaling around which is also another big timesink.

Just keep in mind that all of this is voluntary, while WE do have lives. Some on the team prefer to avoid cutting corners as much as possible to accommodate a giant mass of players (Public events easily reach up to 20-30 players when advertised beforehand.) and instead prefer to focus on events with a focus on roleplaying and storytelling. 
  • So far from what I've seen only one eventmin seems to be even bothering with these types of things and in my opinion, it's unfair that they are the only one that seems to be carrying that weight on their shoulders.
This is indeed true, while they are assisted by others from time to time; there should definitely be more willing to do public events.
  • Where do I even begin with this...the activity of an event min is awful.
I can understand why it might seem that way, I feel that a better way to word it is that there's a distinct lack of transparency when it comes to what an eventmin might be doing, we are generally doing stuff behind the scenes for other players/our own events without much word of it being spoken out publicly. 
  • Right now it's giving off the feeling that the event staff are only doing events for those that are in their friend groups or guilds they are part of.
I don't believe I can reassure you with words alone, but I've done events for general groups I have nothing to do with.
  • but it's disappointing to see people requesting events in the event request channel in the discord and either A) being ignored or B) Having to wait a lengthy amount of time before being spoken to by one
While understandable, not everyone that has an event request is addressed in that channel specifically. There's been multiple cases where an eventmin assisted them on the spot or simply DM'd them later. Speaking entirely for myself though, I generally make a habit of not responding to requests while my plate is full with others that are still in the process of being planned to avoid stressing myself out.

I apologize if any points addressed came off as dismissive, that was not the intent at all; you have very reasonable concerns regarding the Eventmin team.

As for my own statement on things, I'd simply like to say that event planning is a huge time sink and it often takes several hours of constant effort when you factor in the fact that we have to pool our own icons from somewhere, build a map(sometimes a camp), make mobs that have very very basic functions and pre-set AI that can't be modified in anyway, testing said mobs and then having to balance the encounter so it's not unfair. As I mentioned before, our tools aren't actually all that robust presently and there has been times where I've erased hours of work on a singular mob simply because I forgot to fill out a field in the mob making form.

Not intended to be an excuse, if there's a need for public events I can likely try to accommodate more when I finish up what's currently on my plate.
[-] The following 8 users Like Miller's post:
  • Fern, Illumi, K Peculier, Lewdcifer, Shadbase, Shujin, Snake, The Alpha Bat

Messages In This Thread
The Current State Of The Event Staff - by Aqua - 09-30-2021, 01:38 PM
RE: The Current State Of The Event Staff - by Miller - 09-30-2021, 06:38 PM