Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subtle Heal Cut
It is an odd situation, specially given that outside of mechanics, healing effectiveness is really dictated on a case by case basis, usually by how much someone wants to RP injuries.
Equating numbers to actual IC damage is silly, because 0 HP =/= Instantly dead. and 0 HP =/= All of your bones are broken.

If I have 950 HP, and lose 30 HP. But I heal for 200 (I only get 180), I'm still overhealed to the point that it wasn't actually necessary to use the full effect of the spell. Conversely, it still tells everyone HOW much health I healed, even in cases of overhealing.

IC, My Chimera heals just as readily as anyone else (considering Chimera are created life, and are born out of literal corpse fusion rather than primarily magic mud). Hell, IC? He has rather strong natural regeneration due to his class combo among other things. Unfortunately, due to game Mechanics. Anyone that wants to throw a 10 HP heal at him can immediately metagame 'WOAW UR A HOMUNCULI!' and through your logic, be totally justified in claiming it, even if I was only down 1 HP.

It's an all around silly system, especially whenever Chimera pay a Vitality Tax AND also a healing tax. (And in the case of Chimera. The RACISM tax)
(09-29-2024, 12:35 PM)Rendar Wrote: Equating numbers to actual IC damage is silly, because 0 HP =/= Instantly dead. and 0 HP =/= All of your bones are broken.

If I have 950 HP, and lose 30 HP. But I heal for 200 (I only get 180), I'm still overhealed to the point that it wasn't actually necessary to use the full effect of the spell. Conversely, it still tells everyone HOW much health I healed, even in cases of overhealing.

IC, My Chimera heals just as readily as anyone else (considering Chimera are created life, and are born out of literal corpse fusion rather than primarily magic mud). Hell, IC? He has rather strong natural regeneration due to his class combo among other things. Unfortunately, due to game Mechanics. Anyone that wants to throw a 10 HP heal at him can immediately metagame 'WOAW UR A HOMUNCULI!' and through your logic, be totally justified in claiming it, even if I was only down 1 HP.

It's an all around silly system, especially whenever Chimera pay a Vitality Tax AND also a healing tax. (And in the case of Chimera. The RACISM tax)

Your character literally breaks the first rule of the Roleplaying Rules:

[Image: qDvXiKI.png]

You know that character applications that go outside of the normal lore for races require an application, and you've had similar applications (not outright) having not gone through approval in the past.

Regardless of your own specific circumstances, I do think that if health heals past max HP it would be nice to "cap it off" to what it actually heals, so that one would not find out someone is a homunculi from past-the-maximum-health healing. I do agree that would be silly.
[Image: 7y3oPuY.png]
(09-29-2024, 04:12 PM)Sawrock Wrote:
(09-29-2024, 12:35 PM)Rendar Wrote: Equating numbers to actual IC damage is silly, because 0 HP =/= Instantly dead. and 0 HP =/= All of your bones are broken.

You know that character applications that go outside of the normal lore for races require an application, and you've had similar applications (not outright) having not gone through approval in the past.

Regardless of your own specific circumstances, I do think that if health heals past max HP it would be nice to "cap it off" to what it actually heals, so that one would not find out someone is a homunculi from past-the-maximum-health healing. I do agree that would be silly.
"World's setting and lore"

Fantastic. Fortunately, my character does actually have a higher natural regeneration rate than most mundane people, and PCs. By virtue of mechanically getting Aqua Crest Regen from my class.
Alright well the request was an incredibly simple one to try and mitigate some (imo) metagame knowledge to those who have no business knowing it, and I intend to stand by that from here out, it is in my opinion not very feasible to be able to see diminished healing power on someone, and feeling it should be more on the healer who is actually controlling the magic as well is something I have added as a further opinion on the matter.

One could argue this pointing this out in IC immediately without the proper know-how or expertise would be metagaming or powergaming but the original intention was to staunch that without making a big fuss out of it.

Somehow this has turned into a bigger fuss, so I'm sticking by my original post, I'd like for the healing numbers to look the same for everyone while printing out a message for the person who healed the Homunculi that would detail that something was wrong with healing that target.

I am not arguing on if it's balanced or if it's a tax or what not, I acknowledge the healing penalty as very cool IC, to those that would wish to engage with it and me in an interesting way.
[Image: zo2BdSr.pngp]
[-] The following 2 users Like Autumn's post:
  • Rendar, Sawrock
(09-29-2024, 04:39 PM)Rendar Wrote:
(09-29-2024, 04:12 PM)Sawrock Wrote:

"World's setting and lore"

Fantastic. Fortunately, my character does actually have a higher natural regeneration rate than most mundane people, and PCs. By virtue of mechanically getting Aqua Crest Regen from my class.

My statement was towards:

Quote:IC, My Chimera heals just as readily as anyone else (considering Chimera are created life, and are born out of literal corpse fusion rather than primarily magic mud)

People who have fought other aquamancers can notice your own regeneration from the classes's abilities is not as pronounced. Sure, over one round it might not be noticeable, but over a length of time it could be noticed that you're healing slower than an aquamancer normally would. And mind, I'm saying this in regards for the regeneration, not including the immediate wounds-go-away of a dedicated healing spell.

I find it ironic that you're calling someone using information they obtained in-character as metagaming, and thus breaking the rules, when you're justifying with your own example that is breaking the rules (making lore about how chimeras can heal as others do due to corpse fusion).

EDIT: The example I'm quoting here was misunderstood by myself; Rendar clarified to me that he meant how his character heals not with magic mud as other homunculi, but with typical healing procedures that chimera could use (such as going to a doctor). He would not be breaking the rules/he's not stating that his chimera heals at the same rate as others with healing magic.

(09-29-2024, 04:51 PM)Autumn Wrote: Alright well the request was an incredibly simple one to try and mitigate some (imo) metagame knowledge to those who have no business knowing it, and I intend to stand by that from here out, it is in my opinion not very feasible to be able to see diminished healing power on someone, and feeling it should be more on the healer who is actually controlling the magic as well is something I have added as a further opinion on the matter.

One could argue this pointing this out in IC immediately without the proper know-how or expertise would be metagaming or powergaming but the original intention was to staunch that without making a big fuss out of it.

Somehow this has turned into a bigger fuss, so I'm sticking by my original post, I'd like for the healing numbers to look the same for everyone while printing out a message for the person who healed the Homunculi that would detail that something was wrong with healing that target.

I am not arguing on if it's balanced or if it's a tax or what not, I acknowledge the healing penalty as very cool IC, to those that would wish to engage with it and me in an interesting way.

I will reiterate that I'm not against the changes you suggest, despite my argument with Rendar.

I would not fault someone for saying in-character, on noticing someone receiving 90 damage from an area-of-effect attack (instead of everyone else who received 100 damage), that the target who took 90 damage took less damage. They are using what is happening in-game to roleplay. Healing is the same way, just in the opposite direction. If the changes you suggest are added, I've nothing to further oppose.
not tooting my own horn here when i say this, but as someone who has done much healing rp in my time, i don't see this original suggestion as unreasonable. now do i see it as metagame if someone notices that x race who's bad at being healed isn't healed very well...? it really boils down, imo, to how medically and magically knowledgeable that PC may be. it's hard to gauge and standardize.

since the cut-off is 10% or something along those lines (lmfao i don't remember), i think it's reasonable enough for those not enacting the healing magick to not notice, but for the healer to absolutely notice. or at the very least, those who have curate-classes equipped/have knowledge with alchemy could also notice it's off.

wait did i make the suggestion more complicated...
[Image: Y8FFQj7.jpg]
^Mercala's Favorite Apparently
[Image: To2mAPS.png](heh)
[-] The following 2 users Like Blissey's post:
  • Collector, Sawrock
Well, with the original suggestion if you're paying attention you can still metagame, and if you are just pointing out "homonculuuuus" from seeing a weird number, that's metagaming and you should be able to say "hey you don't actually know I'm a homonculus just from that".

Let's be real here. If you're a healer in a fight and you cast a spell on someone who has multiple cuts, there is absolutely no way you get a precise enough number where the 10 percent reduction is noticeable. What if you just can't see the wounds that got healed? What about wounds under armor or clothing? What about the fact that everyone has different levels of hp and healing affects everyone differently? What about the fact that a character might have damage from fire, acid, cuts, and bruises all at once? It's impossible to notice this unless you're doing it in a controlled environment. A fight is way too chaotic for you to know.

So if you're doing some actual healing rp and the homonculus is rping his healing as being less than expected in like a hospital bed with a tried and tested healing technique, I can see it. But it should be metagaming to simply glean it from the numbers in the case of homonculus.

For vampires though? That I could see. Your spell being a quarter as effective is a huge difference that you could notice.

That being said, it would still be cool to have it hidden in the battle log as well. But even if you notice that the health difference doesn't match, you should still not be able to glean the nature of someone via battle numbers alone unless they rp accordingly. For instance if we're grinding peacefully and someone drops "yoooo that dude is faaaake" that's just bad imo. But if you're rping during combat and the homonculus posts an emote where they describe the healing being less effective, that's when it's legit.
Once again, that’s when it goes into subjective territory. You’re saying numbers that sound right to you when it’s vampires compared to homunculi, but obviously for the guy who saw Rendar’s character it was subjectively okay. It’s dangerous to draw lines in the sand and declare something as breaking the rules when the lines drawn are completely different for each person.

And it’s not like having a ruling on what percentage of health is good to not be considered metagameable, as I said before that will lead to rule bloat. I do believe the best solution is for as Autumn and Blissey suggested.
Yeah I guess it's just my personal view on the matter. Though I guess it doesn't really matter in the end, not like anyone cares whether someone is a homonculus or not. Having that information be revealed through healing is pretty cool, now that I think about it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Poruku's post:
  • Sawrock