Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DR Cap
Rustic's power bonus is not the problem lol, and you know it.
Oh I know. As I said though, DR and DResist are the main things. DResist is pretty.. singular in it's affects, while DR just sort of encompasses everything, which is better for low DEF/RES characters.
Elemental Resistance is pretty singular in it's effects, you are right, however, Sayakana is a literal resist all, that itself is not singular, I don't wish to derail this thread even further, though, It is related to the thread, but not entirely.
Damage Reduction is a less common factor compared to Damage Resistance. With DReduct, I believe that a 'Strongest effect applies only' restriction would be a good way to start off.

Also, concerning Damage Resistance, Drowned Woman's Install Ability is still an absolute terror. A further nerf for its Install effect might be necessary.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
Instances of damage should be capped at 50% reduction, not including Guard.

This comes out to about 45% reduction since it's multiplicative, and adding 7M guard would raise that to about 83%.

It's just too easy to stack.
The recent topic of DR Stacking came up again and I would agree, DR really needs a cap of at least 50%, I can list off a possible outcome of DR atm.

Ghost/Void Assassin:
One vs One: 10%
Wraithguard: 30%
Evasion: 30%

Overall damage resistance, that leads up to about 50% total, now combine that with a few items such as:
Ogata Waraji: 10% physical
Voidveil: 15% magical
Turtle shell(mutated into unarmored for WG): 19% from sides/back, 10% from front, physical.

Now you have, 65% magical reduction, and a whopping 79% physical DR, total.
50% does seem reasonable, wholeheartedly agree with brought up points.
This has been a pretty prevalent problem for a while now, and one that needs some limiting factor tbh.
+1d, for the sake of squishies not becoming instant doomwalls with no effort and nearly no cost.
This topics about Damage Reduction, and a lot of good points were already made, so, this'll be short.

A 50% DR cap would definitely be a start, since getting anymore DR than that makes having actual DEF worthless compared to just stacking enough DR to achieve the same result, but better.

So, let's compare having 80 total defenses with 12% DR (on the assumption they're running BK but without Black Wind yet) vs a monk with 20 defense, but as much DR as they can get (I'm just saying 60% here due to how DR stacking works)

100 damage. BK takes (100-80)*0.88 = 17 damage. Monk takes (100-20)*0.4 = 32 damage. Already for having 60 more defense and even some DR, the BK is only reducing the damage by -15- compared to the monk.

200 damage. BK takes (200-80)*0.88 = 105 damage. Monk takes (200-20)*0.4 = 72 damage. Now the BK is eating more damage because his defense is worth less, as the damage is far surpassing it, and DR is -more effective- the higher the numbers get.

Damage numbers very often surpass the hundreds with how many percentage bonuses and methods of stripping defense there are, but, DR scales in usefullness beyond what DEF can offer.
From the perspective of someone that's able to craft characters/enemies via Event Tools, a DR cap can be troublesome. For instance, if I need an enemy to be completely immune to Magical Damage but have piss-poor Status Resistance, I have to ditch RES and look at Magical Damage Reduction. Except if I couldn't put it at 100%, then using Magic DR for this idea is entirely useless, and those Hexers that should've been able to inflict their statuses won't ever get the chance due to RES being the only other option.

That being said, I'll reiterate my earlier idea: Make only the highest Damage Reduction effect count. (see: Take the highest single effect from Physical DR and Magical DR, unless an Overall DR is strictly more effective) Voidveil will have to revert to its old 30% Magical DR and 1:1 Void Energy gain, but otherwise it should put a stop on DR-stacking shenanigans without causing issues on a non-player side.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye