Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Menacing Raid Bosses!
Well, you see.

First, why would someone's reputation be ever considered 'good' in any place, if they're not doing their part to keep the >world< safe from those continental threats? (I.E, comparing non-combatants who are good-for-nothing and get reputation from buying shit in cities, VERSUS, the people who actually risk their lives to try and be heroes for their countries.)

Plus, reputation shouldn't go into negatives without a good reason anyway, so expect your reputation not dropping below your 'base reputation' (The one you get from being of a certain race, for example.)

And we lack ways to reduce reputation too, so. Two birbs with one expand.

Also, by 'declining', I mean, not being in the event. Doctors won't necessarily lose their homes if they're there, trying to mend the wounds caused by the boss and giving out potions.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
My first thought is, 'why in the hell would extremely powerful monsters just magically appear in the overworld?' One or two random 'i appear in overworld and i'm gonna kill everything mwahahahahaha' might work, but this isn't your typical MMO.

My second thought is, 'either we'll have to see a balance for a fight that can host more than four players, or try to make the game able to handle numerous fights at once.' In fact, I don't think we should even touch 'raid bosses' when SL2's endgame offers little to begin with. (especially where challenges towards a party is concerned)

My third thought is, 'there's still going to be a lot of work making something that acts something like a raid boss, unless people just want a huge damage sponge that dishes out stupid amounts of damage with the occasional jacked-up rampage.'

TL;DRA raid boss isn't a bad idea, but it's going to take a lot of work to do, and I think we have much, MUCH bigger fish to fry before we start trying to make official raid bosses.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
"Chaos" Wrote:My first thought is, 'why in the hell would extremely powerful monsters just magically appear in the overworld?' One or two random 'i appear in overworld and i'm gonna kill everything mwahahahahaha' might work, but this isn't your typical MMO.

My second thought is, 'either we'll have to see a balance for a fight that can host more than four players, or try to make the game able to handle numerous fights at once.' In fact, I don't think we should even touch 'raid bosses' when SL2's endgame offers little to begin with. (especially where challenges towards a party is concerned)

My third thought is, 'there's still going to be a lot of work making something that acts something like a raid boss, unless people just want a huge damage sponge that dishes out stupid amounts of damage with the occasional jacked-up rampage.'

TL;DRA raid boss isn't a bad idea, but it's going to take a lot of work to do, and I think we have much, MUCH bigger fish to fry before we start trying to make official raid bosses.

1) It's not really unbelievable to think that some monster is terrorizing the land somewhere, and honestly I do have a concept laying around that would fit this pretty well. But either way, this isn't really an important concern.

2) The way it worked in the discussion was, everyone fights an instance of the boss. Damage done to the boss decreases from the 'real' HP, which is tracked separately and is a very high number. Boss might get more powerful as it loses more and more HP.
2B) A bit of a separate topic but I think having a powerful boss to fight like this would be something challenging for a party, so your own statements contradict yourself a little bit. And if people want more challenging stuff, I'm fine with that and have a few things on my list geared towards that. But that's a different topic.
3) I'm not really interested in duplicating the 'raids' you see in other games. The word 'raid' in this instance, and I'm sure as it was intended by Fern, was simply 'a collective effort between more than one party'. No one was suggesting we should have a 3 hour dungeon tied to them.
"Neus" Wrote:And if people want more challenging stuff, I'm fine with that and have a few things on my list geared towards that. But that's a different topic.

I don't have much to comment on as far as how the specifics of implementation would go, but I do want to mention that I've very much wanted some sort of challenging, end-game viable things that could be done. I know many other people have too.
Yup, we'd like a boss to surpass Metal Gear.

Preference is it being super resistant to Hexers too. (Aka, immune to Poison, super resistant to Dark. Or straight up un-hexable.) Or straight up immune to bullshit tactics such as people who spam knockdown, poison and stuns for easy wins.

Or hey, something like Magus from Chrono Trigger, every round (or every 3-5 rounds) it shifts an elemental 'barrier' after an AoE attack of the type they're becoming weak to (like Lantern Bearer, but global range). So every other element gets resisted/absorbed by them. For this, it could have two barriers at once, one for physical elements (so blunt, slash and pierce) and other for magical elements (all elements available, including akashic and null)

The Physical elements get shuffled every round end, so the boss will always have 25% weakness to one, 75% resistance to other and absorption for another. This one will keep 'mysterious', in order to make it more challenging for non-mages, who are pretty much the majority of characters in existence. (Example:
Round 1 - The boss resists slash, while is weak to blunt, and absorbs pierce.)

The Magical elements will be a little more tricky. The boss performs an AoE as they change their elemental weakness to the element they used in the attack, while resisting every other element, and the 'mirror element' to it becomes an 'absorb'. (Example:
Round 1 - "The Boss unleashes a massive burst of Lightning! - The Boss receives 75% weakness to lightning, 75% resistance to all elements and now absorbs fire damage.
Round 2 - "The Boss unleashes a massive burst of Null! - The Boss receives 75% weakness to null, 75% resistance to all elements and now absorbs akashic.)
Sooooooon:
[Image: 7c94cf4d900389fbda025d0fb1bd3100.png]

But yeah I think, the system could work in a way of "hunting request". Not all raid bosses have to be like "rawr rawr, I destroy town, u no stop me!"
But could be simply beasts living in the differnt lands. So each land will also have differnt targets to hunt. (World messages for those could look like:"A Dangerous beast XY has been spotted near Z!)
I think it´s easily explainable aswell.
What the differnt bosses will do, or what skills and stuff they have shouldn´t for all be "Yeah let´s just make it artifically difficult!" by giving him Chaos(Kidding don´t hit me) event level of difficulty where only one certain set up can win.
Ways againt basic cheese startegies, yes...But please not just some collection of most powerful effects without any sort of reason or theme. When people eventually build against a boss? So be it. But I rather have cool thematic bosses that are good in what they do instead of unstoppable powerhouse with 324279 effects of resist everything a player can toss out.

But I am sure that Dev can handle that and can make Monsters quite interesting, or people can make actually suggestion for specific monsters and work them out. and how exactly the instance looks like. I am sure there is also some variety there.
And yes, please no reputation loss for not taking part, thats silly.
Oy vey.

What's with people and reputation loss, since it's easier to gain than lose it?

Anyway, yeah, this 'hard' one I suggested could be from Sigrogana only. While another boss raid would require a different strategy like 'every ice tile in the zone will do X crippling damage and reduce your stats', or for a fire one 'it will be erasing the battlefield bit by bit with cinders that worsen into lava tiles after a set amount of rounds', even 'this boss allows you to party up with 10 people in order to take him down'.

I know, other things could be more enjoyable than just dancing between weaknesses and resistances as the one I suggested. (Though, I really enjoyed this one from Chrono Trigger, and having this reference in SL2 would be nice to honor the classics.)
Let's put it this way; why not lose reputation if you didn't help out in a beast raid? Because people would lose their minds and riot. Log on late a few times and not see the message - or worse, have it end while you're on your way there, and suddenly inns worldwide charge 100 a night - on a character who's primarily for RP and rarely adventures so they don't have money.

If something happened in my street outside and I didn't run out to do something about it, it wouldn't hurt my reputation. If something happened two cities over, no one would give a shit about me. So there's zero discernible reason for your reputation to take a hit because you didn't help fight a big monster out in the wilderness that not that many people know about anyways.

Honestly, I'm almost convinced you're just trolling, due to some other recent posts.
*loud burp*
I've clearly said reputation lost by this won't be going beyond the base reputation you start with back there, didn't I?

PS:
[Image: a50d30d320ad4a7d9fde21658a97d8a5.png]
Eyes open, please.

All of my ideas come from the thought of your reputation being tied to your combat fame and overall city activeness (as someone who is well-known by everybody due to what they do, which is, participating in the city's economy [Buying, in this case]), not what you are in roleplay. I feel like posting a thread to discuss about it, since I think I'm the only one with a different view on 'reputation'.

What I want with this is not 'troll' roleplayers for the reason 'LOL IT'S SNAKE HE A BR TROLL, LYNCH!!1111ONE!SHIFT+1ONE', but give people an incentive to participate. The only people who will get 'damaged' by this are the Corrupted, because their base reputation is -20 for all.

Plus, I doubt Dev will want to waste time with this anyway. (That makes me question the reason reputation even exists.) And I think a better solution for player interest would be just making multiple new LaPlace NET missions with Legend Inks attached to them for the Great Six bosses.
No offense, but after your "Just because people are afraid of the consequences, kek" comment from the Horned Black Beast thread, I'm not convinced you're not just trying to get a rise out of people by suggesting making the game downright player-hostile, and then trying to goad people into arguing over it with parting words like that.

Part of what makes SL2 fun to play is that you can do what you want, when you want. (Unless it's illegal and you go to jail.) Unlike other online games where you log on to just casually meander about and do things at a leisurely pace, only to have guildmates immediately drag you into things you weren't feeling up to, SL2 is more laid back and casual. I get wanting to get people involved, but there's a point where it's just "No, I'm not even going to log on. This isn't a game, it's a chore."
*loud burp*