Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rules about "RP Freedoms" #1: Character Size
Okay, so let's be brutal. The excuse "lol I'm not a human so I can be 10+ feet tall no problem" is common and dumb and shows just how little time they actually spend checking out the lore before jumping right in. It also shows how little they understand basic phisiology, but we'll get to that.

Nearly every single race (outside of the exceptions: Doriad, Mechanation, likely Redtail, and Wyverntouched) -used- to be human before being changed by their deity, taking on features inspired by their patron, such as the ears and tail of the great wolf, Zera's horns, etc. This does NOT include magically being several feet taller.

Even Dullahans, who were reworded to not blatantly be "used to be warriors before they died and got bound to their armor" so Dev wouldn't need to make them able to be LE'd into, blatantly still mention "those who retain their memory," implying that yes, they also used to be people. Armor is a bit bigger than the wearer since it needs to be worn over the wearer, but I recently saw a 13 foot Dullahan giving the excuse "Armor adds like 5+ feet to the wearer" which literally anyone will tell you is complete and utter BS unless it's basically a freaking Gundam, which isn't "armor" but a combat vehicle.

There are occasionally very tall people IRL. These people often either die young or at least have numerous health problems. One of the tallest men alive is even recorded as having surgery to halt his growth (a gland never turned off or something) because continuing to grow would have been fatal. These freakishly tall people rarely ever even break 8 feet and still have these myriad health issues. So why are so many people so insistent that they need to be some kind of giant just to be cool?

Let me be blunt and cut to the chase: Make this a rule. It's come up before and it was agreed to not put maximum/minimum heights in stone, and I agree, but there's times where it's just blatantly stupid. So, I'm suggesting that we make it banneable at GM discretion - if a height is completely obviously not fine - like basically anything 9+ feet tall (read: so tall a human would basically die,) and they argue back with the GM warning, that's it. It was in the rules. They insisted in breaking the rules and refusing to conform when notified, so they're gone.

If this seems needlessly "hard-ass" and spiteful, it's only because I see it literally every time I log in, and there's no excuse for it. Some of us are trying to actually roleplay without constantly going "holy fuck you're tall" and then getting OOCly called out for "picking on them" with those comments. And, as a friendly reminder: You need to complete the tutorial for every single new character you make, which specifically gives you links to the Wiki, not just for the rules, but the roleplay guide and lore. Willful ignorance, or "choosing to ignore these" is not an excuse for... well... everything nonsensical that people expect to get away with.
*loud burp*
Generally, I find 4-7ft to be the acceptable range for most characters. If you want to go over or under, there should be a reason for it. (I.e. for instance a genetic disorder like dwarfism).

Mechanations are a little more free from this range since you can generally make them out of sturdier stuff, of course this is still within reason.

It's also fair to assume hardier races like say Lupines or Hyattrs would be on average taller, so a bit of hand waving is fine in some cases.

However, when you get to the extreme ranges (under 2ft assuming this isn't a young child or over 9ft) that's when I feel you're getting far too carried away, even if you have an excuse.

In the example you gave, that would be put down (though this is the first I'm hearing about a 13ft character). I mean seriously, armor adding 5ft? That's not armor, those are like stilts.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
I more or less agree with Sly.
Agreed. I feel Sly hit the nail on the head completely. 4-7 feet is a very acceptable range that also accounts for "very short" and "very tall" outliers without going into freakish one-in-a-hundred-million examples. (For example: My own grandmother was 4'9'' and that's pretty darn short while still not going into dwarfism territory.) I also agree Mechanations should be given more leeway (Example: A particularly small recon mech being harder to spot while scouting, or a 7 1/2 foot tall frontline mech being designed to be a desirable target to take heat off their human squadmates.) simply since it makes sense to custom build them for specific roles.

I simply bring it up at all since we seem to go through phases of "omfg everyone has to be a giant" and I've seen multiple 9-13 feet characters recently, and it's dumb and should not happen.
*loud burp*
What about liches? I have a lich that's a pile of bones he gathered up and inhabited, he's taller than your average person (I believe twelve feet, because I asked Chaos what the maximum height I could make a character be, and that's what he told me).
[Image: 7y3oPuY.png]
Eh, I'm not particularly a massive fan of giant liches, but considering they literally shed their mortal coil, giving them more leeway also makes sense.

(But in my opinion, I can't understand why a lich would WANT to be a bigger target, considering, so... sorry, I tend to overthink things.)
*loud burp*
I believe that while relative giants are a thing, anything that gets roughly around the point Sly mentioned (under 2ft or over 9ft) would have to convince an unamused GM.

However, I also believe that Liches are the only race that can be extreme in their size and get away with it. It's entirely possible to bind to something rather small (see: Demilich) or something quite large (though you're gonna have one hell of a time getting such a form). Of course, I also expect people to not have their forms bound to a small coin nor a titanic statue, so to speak.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
There are lower and upper limits even for liches, if your vessel is too large you won't be able to move it, which kind of defeats the purpose. If it's too small, you'll break it trying to possess it.