Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1 Average
In Regard To The Recent Announcement
fairness to who? this was very one-sided. this isn't a "both sides" thing. an issue was noticed, and the issue was addressed.
(07-21-2024, 09:22 AM)Vanilla Wrote: fairness to who? this was very one-sided. this isn't a "both sides" thing. an issue was noticed, and the issue was addressed.

Fairness to values and equality. If one side can make fun of another while the other can not. That isn't right. That is what this announcement enforces.

One side can't mock.

The other side can mock.

Even if they don't in your opinion, the fact they can is an insult to fairness.
where and when has this happened with any frequency? the post was specifically to address a type of bigotry which has become worryingly common in the disc recently.

similarly if a load of people had been idk, posting inappropriate images, an announce would have addressed that.

they don't need to list every possible rulebreak every time they address one that's becoming a particular problem lately
(07-21-2024, 09:29 AM)Vanilla Wrote: where and when has this happened with any frequency? the post was specifically to address a type of bigotry which has become worryingly common in the disc recently.

similarly if a load of people had been idk, posting inappropriate images, an announce would have addressed that.

they don't need to list every possible rulebreak every time they address one that's becoming a particular problem lately

You're starting to drift from my point. Just because it hasn't happen doesn't mean it can't. This is about fairness, not whether or not its full-scale. Again, I'm not against the announcement. I just wish it had been more elegantly put together.

Also, this is about responsibility. If the Mods can just give themselves power to mute without a community vote, they should at least be held accountable when they do use it if it's warranted.
How deep can one hole be dug.

The gms do not need to personally report muting someone for being offensive, and demanding as much is incredibly entitled and outright silly. The announcement was beyond fair and the fact that a thread was made on it is a joke.

A gm should not be forced to watch someone being harassed, insulted, or anything along the lines only to report to you directly that someone is being mean and needs to be stopped. It is quite literally their ROLE to deal with such problems. They do not need to be held 'accountable' for doing what they signed on to do, they should be thanked for attempting to keep things safe.

TL;DR: L take.
[-] The following 2 users Like Illumi's post:
  • JamOfBoy, Revy
the admins made an announcement about something that IS happening, acknowledging that it's been noticed and will be cracked down on.

why is it a problem that they didn't list all the things that aren't happening?

the rest of the community seems to have taken the announce as being a case of "there's been a lot of bigotry lately, please stop or we will be muting people"

it's the most inoffensive, unproblematic announce possible and shows they care about marginalised ppl.

like you've said it personally offends you that they didn't say you can't make fun of right-wing politics but it's not what the post is even about. the post is asking ppl to stop saying bigoted 'jokes'. the 'sides' here are ppl being bigoted and ppl saying 'we'd rather you weren't bigoted toward us' and there can and should be no compromise when it comes go bigotry

this isn't a political dispute, it's a question of just not being bigoted which i can't see any reason to object to
(07-21-2024, 09:43 AM)Illumi Wrote: How deep can one hole be dug.

The gms do not need to personally report muting someone for being offensive, and demanding as much is incredibly entitled and outright silly. The announcement was beyond fair and the fact that a thread was made on it is a joke.

A gm should not be forced to watch someone being harassed, insulted, or anything along the lines only to report to you directly that someone is being mean and needs to be stopped. It is quite literally their ROLE to deal with such problems. They do not need to be held 'accountable' for doing what they signed on to do, they should be thanked for attempting to keep things safe.

TL;DR: L take.
Insults are fair game, I suppose. But I'm not saying they should report to me or anything of the sort.

I'm telling everyone else should they report to the community for any of their mutes and possibly more.

They signed up for such and are expected to be responsible with such power and showcase clarity on their behalf. They are given their roles due to their ability to communicate and showcase capability. If they do not, then why should they be trusted? It's their initiative to show effort for a role they signed up for.

You can insult my L take all you want. However, I am not stopping them from muting anyone. Your statements are gross exaggerations of my words, shoved down my throat by your own hands.

(07-21-2024, 09:45 AM)Vanilla Wrote: the admins made an announcement about something that IS happening, acknowledging that it's been noticed and will be cracked down on.

why is it a problem that they didn't list all the things that aren't happening?

the rest of the community seems to have taken the announce as being a case of "there's been a lot of bigotry lately, please stop or we will be muting people"

it's the most inoffensive, unproblematic announce possible and shows they care about marginalised ppl.

like you've said it personally offends you that they didn't say you can't make fun of right-wing politics but it's not what the post is even about. the post is asking ppl to stop saying bigoted 'jokes'. the 'sides' here are ppl being bigoted and ppl saying 'we'd rather you weren't bigoted toward us' and there can and should be no compromise when it comes go bigotry

this isn't a political dispute, it's a question of just not being bigoted which i can't see any reason to object to

Vanilla, for the third time, I'm not against the Announcement. I am not against them muting people who deserve it. I am not against them having the power to do so. All I ask is they report mutes if they do so in a public channel.

Why do you think so? Seriously, all I'm asking is they broaden their statement to a simply 'All political jokes will be muted, etc' instead of a one side policy that isn't fair. I am not trying to make it political. But by deciding one side is free to mock the other, they've effectively made it political by implication. This is the consequence of their decision.
This is clearly bait. Like I can't possibly see this as anything but. This acts like mutes are going to happen constantly now or something.

This comes off as 'I want to know what gms mute my friends so I can attack them'.

But if you think a mute is so unfair then have the person use modmail. Otherwise, it's not that deep.
[-] The following 2 users Like matthewmwps's post:
  • Maya, Revy
If people truly had an issue with GMs being able to mute people in the server 'without consenquence' or without people being able to see it, then this post would have strictly mentioned so, and perhaps even a discussion could be opened about it amongst ourselves.

But that isn't what this is about at all, and it shows in your responses. I really think you've completly missed the intent of the announcement.

You're frustration over the GMs ability to mute people in a discord when we're already capable of kicking people, banning people, as well as mute people in the past makes little sense to me. The intent of GMs is to handle these issues at a quick pace, coming to a decision with the approval of a people with distinct opinions on various issues. There's never been a need for approval from the community.

I'm honestly getting quite frustrated with the idea that we've become GMs for the sake of some power trip, doing things because we can or because we don't like people. Trust me when I say most of us are burnt out, tired, exhausted from the criticism that comes from our actions. There's no power trip to be had, no fun to be sought in 'doing things without consenquence'. We became GMs because we want to make the community a better place, and quite frankly, its posts like this that make it needlessly tedious, taking arguments as useless and tiresomely comparable to that of 'All lives matter' over 'Black lives matter'.

You know full well what we mean by 'criticism of women'. And if you don't quite frankly, it is not my job to educate you.

Being a decent human being is not a 'side', and this might be one of the biggest self reports I've ever read.
[-] The following 3 users Like Maya's post:
  • Revy, Vanilla, zericosmic
>  The Announcement itself only directed its attention to one side of political `jokes` and such

No one mentioned any political side.

If you do wish to attribute comments that are derogatory and bigoted towards members of our community to general right wing politics that's on you.

Harassing members of of the community or making bigoted comments towards them (which is the same thing) will be punished, I do not care how politically you align your argument.

If people hinge their personal values upon being able to disregard common decency, then they should perhaps rethink them.
[-] The following 2 users Like zericosmic's post:
  • Revy, Vanilla