Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.56 Average
General thoughts and Opinions off the chest
(03-03-2023, 06:28 PM)Shadbase Wrote:
(03-03-2023, 06:03 PM)Plunger Wrote: I'm not sure these types of personal attacks are productive and looking up all of my account details just to make this reply is concerning behavior, sarcastic tag or not.

You do know I can see you have 6 posts (all accounted for in this thread) and made your account last month right from the posts you make, as can everyone else, right?
Regardless, I'd love to hear your opinion on the following question Drezdin asked however, since you seem very apt to help the GMs in whatever way you can. It could be enlightening, since you seem to have this immense grasp on these issues at their core.

(03-03-2023, 05:45 PM)Balor Wrote: What would you ask of Dev with any coming changes to the policing of the game? What examples of better systems could we learn from? What blueprints have worked in the past?

Honestly, I just wish that the GMs had an standardized form that they had to fill out and send to the banned player. Even if it feels corporate and cold, then they can outright state exactly why they're banned to their face without any need for forum drama and speculation on the part of the ban, and maybe even then the GMs. It's basically what most other servers, RP forums, and even some games do. It's not like you still have to name names, but actually pointing out what someone is doing that's wrong specifically is how you get people to learn from their mistakes. If your mom as a kid just randomly grounded you right before bed, and said "you were screaming" when you haven't even screamed in front of her for the last six hours - just maybe at the park earlier in the day or something, you're not going to learn from that.
Just a blanket "you broke these rules, you made your bed now lie in it" isn't going to teach anybody anything. The GMs have never actually been one to actually give advice when it comes to these things either. If you're denied on an idea, you're barely even told why, for example.

SL2 isn't going to benefit from anything like a three-strike system, especially not this late in the game, but there definitely needs to be a warning system that isn't "the GM teleports to your location and hits you, potentially in front of people so you get publically embarassed" too. I'd hope that Dev could code something like that in for people that aren't obvious on who they are in their profile, but otherwise it's really as simple as formulating a DM.

Even with a warning and ban receipt system like that, you don't even have to actually provide proof. But at least then you don't get a mob of concerned players, now all demanding that you actually give them reasons and exact examples of what they did, why that was a bannable offense. Because really, at the core of the issue, that's the actual problem people are rising. If everyone banned knew exactly what they did, I'd bet we'd not even have this thread. Because it meant there was actual communication happening.

You also brought up the status of my wiki account as well, not just my forum account. I don't see why you feel the need to take such an insulting and aggressive tone with your posts as well. I haven't been personally attacking you in any of my posts, so I don't see why you feel the need to attack me.

As for suggestions to Dev about changes though? I personally don't see a problem with the way it's currently being handled. In every single community I've either been in as a player or administrator a few things are always done the same:

1. You don't post logs because it can reveal who reported it.
  2. You don't post logs to protect the dignity of those who were banned.
  3. You don't post logs to protect those who were initially harrased.
  4. Not all offenses require warnings. The harrasement rule very clearly states you'll get hit with a ban, as you should. Most people support a zero tolerance bullying policy in real life, why should the game be any different? The warning is the rules, you were warned not to do it when you read them.
This is how they've always been handled as far as I know and the only real backlash seems to be that this time the targets of the bans had lots of friends.

If you've been banned and want more information, you should DM the GM team before you make your appeal.
[-] The following 3 users Like Plunger's post:
  • Autumn, Dystopia, Imotepchief

Messages In This Thread
RE: General thoughts and Opinions off the chest - by Plunger - 03-03-2023, 07:29 PM