Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Firthrower Mid Syndrome
One of the most forgotten guns in SL2, the Firthrower. I've never once seen a player use this and for good reason. Give hellhound bullets to a Jackhammer and you do its job and better.

I won't claim to know anything about balance, but much smarter people than I have thrown around ideas that really stick. Turning the line of fire into a cone with LB's damage falloff, adding some lingering damage (fire) effect, changing the lukewarm potential into something more fitting of a (magic) flamethrower. Making a proper close-range gun that creates a burning trail/cinder tiles. All fun ideas, although I'm sure there are more ways it could be changed.

Firthrower needs some kind of rework, and badly. Flamethrowers should feel like flamethrowers.
[-] The following 6 users Like Toffee's post:
  • Dezark, i/o, Imotepchief, polly, Poruku, the homestuck man himself
if youre playing the pal ps3 version of sl2 the firthrower does like 4x damage because of an issue with the refresh rate, which is nice

anyway flamethrowers are sick and i would like to be able to build a character around one without feeling like i'm kneecapping myself. i don't have nearly enough mechanical expertise or experience to give much commentary on it, besides that I sure did try it and feel deeply disappointed. how do you make a flamethrower with no swag? gimme a cone or some cinder tiles or both or
[Image: image.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes i/o's post:
  • Toffee
I don't even think a falloff is necessary, I believe a cone would be unique, but if this isn't possible, a range adjustment is also fine.

Firthrower does need a buff though, it is probably one of the weirdest and worst guns in the game.
[-] The following 2 users Like Autumn's post:
  • Pyro, Toffee
I believe one of Firthrower's biggest fallbacks is it's atrocious range for... little to no benefit. Like... sure... you can hit up to 4 enemies at once, yes... What... for? When? The most "multi-hitting" you're ever gonna be doing is hitting two people at once... and even that's gonna be a miracle without wasting your own resources to set it up.

Also. It's scaling... is horrendous.
You give GUI/STR(or vice versa) scaling to a weapon if you want to **nerf** it. Considering what Firthrower does, it does not need such a liability. Sure, Mundane exists I guess... but I don't think having an unreasonable drawback on a weapon should be excused because "there's an enchant for that!!!"

I think Firthrower should get the cone pattern. It would stand out on it's own, especially if it created Cinder/Lingering Fire tiles.

Maybe give it the ability to get +1 range to the cone for every 2 range the weapon gets... So getting a +3 attack range buff would give the Firthrower an extra row to it's attack.

Maybe give it a simple 100% GUI scaling... could give it 70% and give it a bonus to it's attack power (similar to how Gigantys gets it) dependant on your Fire ATK.
THE POLLY!!!!

THE POLLY IS REAL!!!!!!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes polly's post:
  • Toffee
Basic Firearm scaling on that weapon would be more than enough a 'fix'.

As for range, it should be similar to Hyattr's Fire Breath Trait, where each tile makes it expand wider and wider. (Except without a middle projectile.)
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake's post:
  • Toffee
It would be pretty good and unique if its Potential could also trigger enemy Traps/bombs, to make them explode in their faces.

as for scaling, give it simple 100 Guile scaling or guile/ski I guess, and maybe 50% fire atk on hit, thats the part where you MIGHT need to build strength for a bit extra ow ow. but its basic will be okay then at least. since guns are normal attacks now like any other weapon, on hits are fine.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shujin's post:
  • Toffee
nerf it more

make it require golden wax as fuel
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Sawrock's post:
  • Snake, Toffee
Firthrower cone targetting gang, I'll always push and stan for that change.

One idea I had for the potential that I have been cooking up for a while was the following:

[Image: firthrower_potential.png]

Nerif's Blazing Meteor
3m, 15 FP, Chargeable

Constantly using a flamethrower tends to heat things up, thankfully you'll remember to cool it off safely, right? ..Right?
With every use of the firthrower, the user will gain a status effect called 'Overheat' that increases by 10(20 if the attack crits) with each use of the firthrower. When it reaches 100, the skill will be unlocked: All of the valves on the weapon will unload the heat and pressure at once, blowing whoever's behind the user back with blunt damage equal to 150% SWA and knocking them 3 tiles back, launching the user 8 tiles in the direction they are facing to slam into their target, hitting them with a 250% SWA attack that is split between piercing and fire damage, followed by another explosion that will knock both the user and enemy back, knocking down the latter, while putting the user back to their starting position.

However, this will come at a cost: The potential will enter a 3-4 round cooldown and the range of the firthrower will be reduced by X, returning to its normal range by the end of the potential's cooldown.

(this was designed more for the cool factor so it might be unbalanced as fuck)
[Image: psycholonials-andrew-hussie.gif]
Another homestuck in this hussie of a world.
[-] The following 5 users Like the homestuck man himself's post:
  • Autumn, Fern, Ray2064, Snake, Toffee