Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windstream Gi
(08-07-2023, 10:02 PM)Caboozles Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 09:41 PM)Autumn Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 06:29 PM)caliaca Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 05:53 PM)Autumn Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 05:31 PM)caliaca Wrote: Gain +20 Evade for 1 attack, 3 rounds after casting a Sylphid spell.

This is the current text and effect. 

It's bad. 

That's really bad.

This nerf consolidated a lot of evade setups so that non rogues can't really reach evade cap, something that is one hundred and ten percent necessary in the current hit meta.

I'll be honest, I think a straight up  revert is fine. Take it to 25/3 rounds again. Please. Un-centralize evades.

No? It got nerfed for a reason. It was way too powerful being 25 evade with the only condition of "Casting a wind spell." This condition also included Auto-enchant.

Because it's an item slot and not a class skill, it was versatile in how many builds it could apply to, while you can make the argument that Evoker gets no evade buffs, Spellthief does, and all the evade buffs it can cast are coincidentally also wind spells that work in conjunction with this, instantly capping your evade.

Coinciding with this is also the strong option of being able to get a huge evade buff from any wind spell, which when it comes to stuff like Air Pressure and Typhur, is incredibly hard to play against.
I understand why it got nerfed, I disagree with it. Spellthief can already cap it's evade, that's hardly a problem. 

Evade is already losing, non centralizing the evade meta just lets it only be played by Rogue subclasses.

Furthermore, for some reason, Distortion is noted as a Mercalan spell, not a wind spell. You may be thinking of Invisible weapon, which did count as a Sylphid spell. (Naturally southern wind doesn't count as a spell and it's other most common spell buff in RoP is aqua)

You may also be thinking about Fortune Wind, which is sylphid but it's 3M and Windstream merely let archers cap evade rather than permanently be under it, both of which were 3 turns which, truthfully, is not very long (and no one's running Wind Runner but like 2 people).

The versatility is what I'm arguing for. It's rather uncomfortable that only one class can really reasonably, feasibly cap evade.

I'll be real - if you're playing against a mage class that's only evade is coming from casting wind buffs you're playing really bad to not have enough hit to get past it/built really bad. And stuff like Mage + spell Thief can already cap evade regardless so I'm unsure what this changes.

Its fine to buff it, the current effect is ass, but I am mostly disagreeing with reverting it, that effect was far too powerful. There's no way it was balanced, and no I am not talking about just fortune wind, I am also talking about Smoke Screen, you can also chip in other incredible spellthief spells like Confusion and Create Shade while we're at it.

There in lies the fault in a +50 cap, its very difficult to get to, with evade being rated so highly now, but also extremely unforgiving towards standard setups that lack these buffs, I'd sooner propose a lower cap so that Evade can be easier to obtain. Unless you want the same issue arising with hit instead, where there's not enough hit to reasonably hit through evade.
Evade is kind of in a mediocre spot where most classes have ways to neuter your evade (Tons of classes get magnetize, VA can obscure watchful eye, so you really can't prevent them from getting a flank unless you cheese terrain, glowing), there are autohits EVERYWHERE, or they have enough hit and hit buffs to reliably get something like 250+ hit easy.

Now, don't get me wrong. Evade can be very strong, but a lot of what is being said here is "Spellthief is strong".
So isn't the problem here ST, not evade? You reduce the +50 cap and you aren't making other evades any stronger. They're still getting clubbed like baby seals by mobs with 85 skill, or people who can autohit you for "go die now" levels of HP. Anyone who isn't an ST will stay suffering.

I did label other outliers in my first post such as Typhur and Air Pressure, Auto-enchanted Talvyd and such, getting 25 evade so freely for a very good evade-worthy torso item is just not the way to go, the item deserved to be hit, it did not deserve to be hit as much as it did, I have stated as such in this thread already and have said my piece. You are free to disagree with me if you wish to, but know that just because evade is inconsistent, it is far from weak, and that is no reason to not tread caution in buffing the sources in which you gain it.

My only opinion to add is that it should be 15 evade for 3 rounds, instead of for 1 attack.
(08-07-2023, 11:31 PM)Autumn Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 10:02 PM)Caboozles Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 09:41 PM)Autumn Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 06:29 PM)caliaca Wrote:
(08-07-2023, 05:53 PM)Autumn Wrote: No? It got nerfed for a reason. It was way too powerful being 25 evade with the only condition of "Casting a wind spell." This condition also included Auto-enchant.

Because it's an item slot and not a class skill, it was versatile in how many builds it could apply to, while you can make the argument that Evoker gets no evade buffs, Spellthief does, and all the evade buffs it can cast are coincidentally also wind spells that work in conjunction with this, instantly capping your evade.

Coinciding with this is also the strong option of being able to get a huge evade buff from any wind spell, which when it comes to stuff like Air Pressure and Typhur, is incredibly hard to play against.
I understand why it got nerfed, I disagree with it. Spellthief can already cap it's evade, that's hardly a problem. 

Evade is already losing, non centralizing the evade meta just lets it only be played by Rogue subclasses.

Furthermore, for some reason, Distortion is noted as a Mercalan spell, not a wind spell. You may be thinking of Invisible weapon, which did count as a Sylphid spell. (Naturally southern wind doesn't count as a spell and it's other most common spell buff in RoP is aqua)

You may also be thinking about Fortune Wind, which is sylphid but it's 3M and Windstream merely let archers cap evade rather than permanently be under it, both of which were 3 turns which, truthfully, is not very long (and no one's running Wind Runner but like 2 people).

The versatility is what I'm arguing for. It's rather uncomfortable that only one class can really reasonably, feasibly cap evade.

I'll be real - if you're playing against a mage class that's only evade is coming from casting wind buffs you're playing really bad to not have enough hit to get past it/built really bad. And stuff like Mage + spell Thief can already cap evade regardless so I'm unsure what this changes.

Its fine to buff it, the current effect is ass, but I am mostly disagreeing with reverting it, that effect was far too powerful. There's no way it was balanced, and no I am not talking about just fortune wind, I am also talking about Smoke Screen, you can also chip in other incredible spellthief spells like Confusion and Create Shade while we're at it.

There in lies the fault in a +50 cap, its very difficult to get to, with evade being rated so highly now, but also extremely unforgiving towards standard setups that lack these buffs, I'd sooner propose a lower cap so that Evade can be easier to obtain. Unless you want the same issue arising with hit instead, where there's not enough hit to reasonably hit through evade.
Evade is kind of in a mediocre spot where most classes have ways to neuter your evade (Tons of classes get magnetize, VA can obscure watchful eye, so you really can't prevent them from getting a flank unless you cheese terrain, glowing), there are autohits EVERYWHERE, or they have enough hit and hit buffs to reliably get something like 250+ hit easy.

Now, don't get me wrong. Evade can be very strong, but a lot of what is being said here is "Spellthief is strong".
So isn't the problem here ST, not evade? You reduce the +50 cap and you aren't making other evades any stronger. They're still getting clubbed like baby seals by mobs with 85 skill, or people who can autohit you for "go die now" levels of HP. Anyone who isn't an ST will stay suffering.

I did label other outliers in my first post such as Typhur and Air Pressure, Auto-enchanted Talvyd and such, getting 25 evade so freely for a very good evade-worthy torso item is just not the way to go, the item deserved to be hit, it did not deserve to be hit as much as it did, I have stated as such in this thread already and have said my piece. You are free to disagree with me if you wish to, but know that just because evade is inconsistent, it is far from weak, and that is no reason to not tread caution in buffing the sources in which you gain it.

You're wrong about it being good but I definitely understand not wanting to put even more points past your soft cap of skill to not get rolled by the one person who manages to have a 90% dodge chance at the cost of having below 700 HP and no defenses.
(08-07-2023, 11:35 PM)FaeLenx Wrote: You're wrong about it being good but I definitely understand not wanting to put even more points past your soft cap of skill to not get rolled by the one person who manages to have a 90% dodge chance at the cost of having below 700 HP and no defenses.

You're free to disagree, when evade works, it is absolutely very very strong. The summary you have put forth isn't how evade builds generally build (most I see go for substantial HP values), evade builds are incredibly volatile, some classes just do not get the hit to deal with you, and some do, which makes evade strong into certain matchups, and horrible into others.

They sometimes find ways to stay a bit more defensive too, and with the way DRs work in this game, a parry or substantial DR can go a long way for them, again though, very contextual to exactly what you're running, which cannot be covered by generalization.
I mean, evade is a filter. It beats people who don't really build right. If anyone is actually playing the hit race, they'll win and I do not know of a class who cannot feasibly hit evaders consistently unless they build poorly.

And I don't like balancing for 'built poorly'.

Evade works really well against people who know less about the system or devote less into their classes and optimizing their numbers.

It also works really poorly FOR those players as well. Cause they try to go classes that don't have evade support. Something an omni evade torso assists with, even if it has a somewhat restrained trigger.
Evasion discussion aside, I think it's in a fine spot. I agree that we need more overall sources of evasion, but this torso is still quite good for an evasion-based wind mage. The problem isn't the gi, it's the state of evasion, and it shouldn't be used as a crutch.

That being said? It's pretty unlikely that evade is going to change anytime soon as we don't have any word from dev on that front. In the meantime I would support a buff to it for sure because as mentioned before, it's essentially the only way for wind mages to get evasion aside from going rogue
Just make it simple, boyos. Whenever you successfully evade an attack while this effect is active, before it is removed, the enemy also takes Wind Damage equal to all your current Bonus Evade.

Ta-da...~
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]