Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monk(e)
Blablabla monk feels clunky blablabla buffs

Terra Strike / Dragon Gale 

I have two options to suggest for those, specifically.

1- Their Ki-enhanced effect can now also be used from melee range. I've always found the need to take some range to be able to use these skills needlessly clunky, and honestly quite awkward, since they're quite mediocre if not backed up by Ki, as most tools from the class are. You pretty much -need- to get out of melee range to make good use of them.

This one'd be the simpler option I believe everyone could unanimously agree with. 

2- Their melee variant specifically would instead turn into a basic attack, that would also apply the skill's effects if backed up by the necessary amount of Ki.

I tend to slightly gravitate towards this option myself since I'm frankly just slightly biased towards basic attacking, and I believe it'd give Monk basic attackers some more tools to work with, since MA who want to set themselves into that archetype are pretty much pigeon-held into the class.

Maybe Terra Strike could also get to inflict something slightly more useful than Slow, though it's already a fairly useful skill as is.

Dense Thunder 

Make the extra Sound hits count as bonus damage. It's a pretty good skill aside from that.

And maybe make it so if you directly cause a collision between your target and another enemy, the latter is also subject to the attack- though I won't really push that one.

Body of Isesip 

A 2 round cooldown is probably long overdue, though in exchange the skill could get the slightest compensation of spending SP into it actually being worthwhile, since what we get right now's the slightest FP reduction. (From 30 at rank 1 to 22 at rank 3)

Aid(s) 

This one kinda blows. Like, it really blows. Even if you specifically build with it in mind, you'll be getting mediocre results at best.

Just make it give bonus healing equal to your current Ki X 2, or 1.5, in exchange of a cooldown. I don't really think anyone'd be angry about that, since it's just some single target healing skill.

Golden Glow 

If you reach 30 Ki under Ki Awoken, this activates without needing to use PU. That'd be neat.

Power Up 

One of the elephants in the room. A dedicated Monk will every so often have to use that skill right in the middle of an engagement just so their skills can be up to standards, since while the effects of Ki-enhanced skills are pretty good, their main issue is that they're nearly worthless without that same resource.

For every M point spent, your Ki recovery through the Spirituality Innate will be amped up for the next 6 turns by that same amount, capping at 5 extra Ki per round. (It could just not cap, I'd also be fine with that)

This doesn't exactly fix the issue, though it would in my opinion make the experience a lot more smoother.

Power Impact  

If 5 Momentum or more is spent on Power Up, opponents within 2 range will also be knocked down. Or take damage. Either'd be good.

Sun Flare

This one is also pretty fine, but horribly expensive  for what it is. Maybe lower the cost of the effect to 10 Ki.

Spirituality

You get to start the fight with 5 extra Ki per Spirituality rank on-top of it's existing effect, doubled against monsters. (maybe)

This one is for the same reason as my Power Up suggestion. Monk skills are often worthless without Ki, and you often have to spend an entire turn at the beginning of the fight and then some more in the middle of an engagement just to keep them useful. 

This mostly'd make it so a Monk would be ready to provide from the get-go, while their stronger skills are still locked behind some more Ki.

Ki Awoken

The other elephant in the room. Just....Cap the loss of HP to 10% per turn. That'd be it, probably.
066: Birth of the Robot Emperor
i'm for all of this. Let's make it happen! I see no problems here.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
Terra Strike and Dragon Gale needs both to be made into melee skills, and the Dragons should be a Ki Awoken thing.

Dense Thunder could get a Ki Awoken effect that makes the knockback be halved, but you kick the enemy, teleport randomly around them, kick the enemy, teleport, kick, teleport and kick the enemy one final time with the full knockback. Damage likely won't be changed too drastically in this design, it's mostly to make it more flashy.

Sky Chariot should make you go Airborne if used while not Airborne, and temporarily give you Flight movement/compatibility for attacks, skills and spells.

Aid could gain a bonus effect that made it so if you have Golden Glow or/and Body of Isesip, the statuses are copied over to your target.

Power Up itself should get a thing that if you spend 5M+ on it, you also heal 12% of your HP/FP on top of its normal effects. And if Power Up is used while Ki Awoken is active, it reduces your current HP by 50% of its amount, but grants you like an overdrive buff that increases your next attack's damage by 50% and automatically uses Body of Isesip with an extra +1 to duration.

Golden Glow should increase your Power, Critical Damage, Armor and Magic Armor by 15, if you have Unarmored Torso equipped.

Power Impact, yes, correctamundo, and it should be a knockdown. Enemies being pushed away from melee is not beneficial for melee classes, so it should have an extra to it.

Ki Awoken should just enable Riposte as a bonus for it. And yes, it should be capped at the very least on 15% of your maximum HP. And its progression being 3/6/9/12/15 and continue 15/15/15/15. Additionally, Ki Awoken should also lower your HP to 0 if it goes over the cap, but when that happens, you explode, get knocked down and certain defeated, but deal massive Akashic bonus damage around you in 5 range.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
(09-02-2023, 03:34 PM)Snake Wrote: Terra Strike and Dragon Gale needs both to be made into melee skills, and the Dragons should be a Ki Awoken thing.

Dense Thunder could get a Ki Awoken effect that makes the knockback be halved, but you kick the enemy, teleport randomly around them, kick the enemy, teleport, kick, teleport and kick the enemy one final time with the full knockback. Damage likely won't be changed too drastically in this design, it's mostly to make it more flashy.

Sky Chariot should make you go Airborne if used while not Airborne, and temporarily give you Flight movement/compatibility for attacks, skills and spells.

Aid could gain a bonus effect that made it so if you have Golden Glow or/and Body of Isesip, the statuses are copied over to your target.

Power Up itself should get a thing that if you spend 5M+ on it, you also heal 12% of your HP/FP on top of its normal effects. And if Power Up is used while Ki Awoken is active, it reduces your current HP by 50% of its amount, but grants you like an overdrive buff that increases your next attack's damage by 50% and automatically uses Body of Isesip with an extra +1 to duration.

Golden Glow should increase your Power, Critical Damage, Armor and Magic Armor by 15, if you have Unarmored Torso equipped.

Power Impact, yes, correctamundo, and it should be a knockdown. Enemies being pushed away from melee is not beneficial for melee classes, so it should have an extra to it.

Ki Awoken should just enable Riposte as a bonus for it. And yes, it should be capped at the very least on 15% of your maximum HP. And its progression being 3/6/9/12/15 and continue 15/15/15/15. Additionally, Ki Awoken should also lower your HP to 0 if it goes over the cap, but when that happens, you explode, get knocked down and certain defeated, but deal massive Akashic bonus damage around you in 5 range.

I do appreciate some potential feedback/ idea, though-

Gale/Strike exclusively becoming melee would pretty much actively be shooting them in the foot assuming there's no compensation in exchange. The skills clearly aren't strong enough to warrant it.

Sky Charriot not having more interactions with Airborne is pretty odd, I agree.

Golden Glow being more impactful would also be nice, though probably not to that degree.
I do also like the idea of the certain defeat thing.

Monk also could really use some higher damage scalings, since it's Skill damage is really mediocre when taking fists into account.

Boxer got Asura Fist and Sturm to back it up, and Verglas has mage-like scalings- though a good amount of Monk's kit is strictly SWA based, which doesn't work well when your weapon type barely scrapes by 110 SWA.
066: Birth of the Robot Emperor
Oh right you weren't there for pre-rework Monk.

Back in the old days ™, Terra Strike was what we know today as Felsmanege. It was a slam of an open palm against the ground, creating a shockwave of Earth damage in a circle AoE. Dragon Gale was super cool, you performed a roundhouse kick and sent the enemy flying in a line, before they bursted into a whirlwind of Wind damage.

Now they're only boring dragons.

That could come back and I'd be the happiest camper. Monk really needs more attacks with their body, rather than be diet mages.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]