Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic Attack Ranger FP help
I know we're not going to see any significant buffs for this archetype but its FP costs are a bit nuts.

Pulling is 10-14,
Snake is 18-16,
Retreat is 18-16.
Cripple Leg/Cripple arm is TWENTY EIGHT
Starbow is 18
Nest is 10
Twin shot is 12.

All ranger spells are 20-16 too. Those are probably fine.

But basic attack rangers need to use at least one of those things above a turn to function, often 2. Would it kill us to make them more fp accessible for an archetype that builds 160~ at most due to needing stats EVERYWHERE?
[-] The following 3 users Like caliaca's post:
  • Balor, Miller, Pyro
I do think it's silly their costs are about as much as mage spells are (more in some cases). If the intent is to make these require some opportunity cost, then they probably shouldn't be as mid as they are for what you're paying.
The only skill here that doesn't sound correct is Cripple Leg and Arm, which have traditionally always been highly costly and could eventually use a tune down, everything else seems to be in line for what they are, high range, granting additional effects or being AoE. Plus I believe how much mage spells are being gauged at are severely undercutted beyond what they actually are in most cases, plus most skills I am aware of cost within the 10-20 mark anyway, with duelist having a few exceptions.

160 FP sounds terribly low, I suggest building tanninheart, as usual.

(09-27-2023, 10:47 PM)Caboozles Wrote: I do think it's silly their costs are about as much as mage spells are (more in some cases). If the intent is to make these require some opportunity cost, then they probably shouldn't be as mid as they are for what you're paying.

Explosion:
[Image: KnVOQlr.png]

Famiuga:
[Image: Oz1Y1qe.png]

Air Pressure:
[Image: y9O8ruH.png]

Libegrande:
[Image: 2csN5fg.png]

Magaisendo:
[Image: UXiZdFh.png]

Eternal Darkness:
[Image: xOSB4wF.png]

Underworld Flame:
[Image: g2Opy19.png]

And to compare to other physical skills, Rapid Kick (which is one of Verglas' cheapest skills):
[Image: NCRLskn.png]

Yeah, 10-20 seems appropriate for most of the archer skills, I don't see how they're comparable to mage spells in cost, I would suggest checking into the many ways to boost your max FP now if you're still struggling.
I didn't compare them to mage skills. I actually specifically said they're fine for the actual spells.

We can compare them to a lot of other Basic attack +s.

Like Side cut being 2. Like Repel being 2. Couloir being 6 base. Sillcut being two.

I'd compare them to basic attacking skills rather than other skills because they are basic attacking skills, like the ones mentioned.

Does cuthroat even take FP?

There's plenty of examples on each side. The current paradigm can offer a lot of examples for each, I think we really need to contextually think more of what basic attack archer stats look like for str builders instead, and the limitations that gives.
(09-28-2023, 12:36 AM)caliaca Wrote: I didn't compare them to mage skills. I actually specifically said they're fine for the actual spells.

I should be clearer then, I agree with them being priced for 10-20, and was addressing the other comment towards mage spells in the same post.
(09-28-2023, 12:40 AM)Autumn Wrote:
(09-28-2023, 12:36 AM)caliaca Wrote: I didn't compare them to mage skills. I actually specifically said they're fine for the actual spells.

I should be clearer then, I agree with them being priced for 10-20, and was addressing the other comment towards mage spells in the same post.

Gonna reply with my edited post cause it changed a lot:

Like Side cut being 2. Like Repel being 2. Couloir being 6 base. Sillcut being two.

I'd compare them to basic attacking skills rather than other skills because they are basic attacking skills, like the ones mentioned.

There's plenty of examples on each side. The current paradigm can offer a lot of examples for each, I think we really need to contextually think more of what basic attack archer stats look like for str builders instead, and the limitations that gives.

Edit- As an aside, you also listed a bunch of AoE mage skills. Stuff like Rye is 13 fp, Vyd is 14 fp, Miu 18fp which are more comparable to the single target stuff listed abiove...

Less after efficiency and less base in some cases.
(09-28-2023, 12:42 AM)caliaca Wrote:
(09-28-2023, 12:40 AM)Autumn Wrote:

Gonna reply with my edited post cause it changed a lot:

Edit- As an aside, you also listed a bunch of AoE mage skills. Stuff like Rye is 13 fp, Vyd is 14 fp, Miu 18fp which are more comparable to the single target stuff listed abiove...

Less after efficiency and less base in some cases.

I'm just gonna assume you looked over the spells in there that are clearly not AoE (libegrande, ryemei, Eternal Darkness, Underworld Flame) but on the same tier as explosion/air pressure etc you also have Stone Dragon which was not listed, also costing 24 FP.

Duelist skills are pretty uniquely low cost, being more about the SP they cost than the FP they cost, and even then it's pretty much just for Sidecut/Sillcut and Repel. The best ones in it's kit often have higher FP cost as well, such as Couloir or Power Gradiation.

I don't think Archer has issues with FP as much as you think it does, this used to be a thing in the past when their FP costs were 20+, but they got changed to be in the more respectable 10-20 bracket for non-caster archetypes. I think you would only have issues with FP if you don't allot for it in your build, if you are having FP troubles its on you to alleviate that now, get a ring of focus or get tanninheart, they help tremendously and are there to fix some of these issues, blue potions are there for a pinch in emergencies, please use any of these.

On a sidenote, here's Cutthroat since you asked:
[Image: Aucinkr.png]
Imagine if Annorum could be used to recover a percentage of your maximum FP?
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I don't know if this is really a big issue, considering basic attackers are always able to simply basic attack, and it gives you 2fp back if you crit. You're not forced to use your abilities all the time. This is especially ok for bow builds which don't really need to gap close or anything, usually there's an enemy in range. And kiting needing a lot of fp makes sense for balance reasons. Duelist skills like sidecut costing little fp is kind of an important part of being able to remain more consistently useful as a sword user. For instance so you don't lose 3m like a melee monster if you get hit with a 1m bash, or to help you keep up with kiting. Bow builds have a ton of range so they don't need to rely on skills as much to be able to remain in effective range. 1v1 pvp is probably where this is stress tested the most of course as it's a battle of kiting vs gap closing, but that's where kiting is king and as such it makes sense to have fp as a limiter for these builds. In a team situation, rangers can safely remain behind their allies and shoot people with basic attacks whenever they want to conserve fp.