Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tentacles
Hey gamers remember when we all universally hated Explosion because it was free damage that you couldn't do much about, ignored evade, inflicted an annoying status effect (burn), and was unavoidable if the mage you were fighting went last? Which made it super good at killing dodgies, the main thing it countered?

So let's talk about Aquamancer! Specifically tentacles.

Dancing Water is, in practice, an evade-ignoring damage button that inflicts immobilize for two turns, and if you go last in the turn order, your opponent can't do SHIT FUCK ALL to stop it. Making it incredibly frustrating to deal with for dodgies, who often live and die by their mobility option.

My proposal is simple:

-Dancing Water no longer inflicts immobilize on the first round when it is summoned.
[-] The following 5 users Like Entropy's post:
  • Autumn, Fern, ItsWanderlust, JamOfBoy, Snake
I'd daresay a CD is in order, even. Imagine just plopping two of those suckers down a turn and just doing that for a whole fight.
Am I cool yet?
I would remove the evasion ignore too to be honest.
The OP is correct that Dancing Water's tentacles have a problem with immobilize, they benefit greatly from going last but do not fall victim to the same issue that most status inflictions face, they last for 2 rounds while being unavoidable to dodgies, and the immobilize starts on the next round meaning that no matter what the immobilize duration is 2 rounds. Not even silence gets this treatment currently and changing this aspect somehow will help dodgies out.

That's pretty cheap, that should change, given initiative dictates when you are unable to avoid the tentacles.
Great Accuracy tag and we're good to go.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I'm fine with tentacles being strong, the issue is that it's an evasion ignoring ability that has no cooldown, meaning someone can simply spam that and invalidate half your build without worry. I've used it in the past in really minmaxed no-SKI pvp builds as an evade ignore that I can use willy nilly. The fact it applies immobilize is kind of the cherry on top.

I think for starters it would be good if it wasn't possible to put it down on a tile without any waters. That would already help quite a bit.

Then either slap a cooldown on it or make it great accuracy.
Hi guys. Top AQ abuser here who has come to enjoy and absolutely adore the hell out of Dancing water.

Aquamancer was in a good spot for a really long time. A rather balanced yet very strong class that gives curate players a toolbox/utility caster as opposed to priest and lantern bearer being almost pure support.

Then, on one fateful day, November 22nd 2022 Aquamancer got a really nice and sizeable buff. Taking this class to new heights. Among the changes was a REALLY big dancing water buff.
- Can now attack even if not on a water tile, but only within 1 Range.
- When created, it will try to attack a monster within its attack range.
- Mousing over one will now show its attack range.

These are all important, even if the third one is quality of life, but the first one is the big one. Aquamancer players no longer needed any preparation for tentacles, they can just throw em' down willy nilly and they'll work like a charm. Dancing water went from an area denial ability/tile knowledge check to an extremely reliable auto hit that will stop 60%+ of builds dead in their tracks with an immobilize. Add on the fact that you can spirit these bad boys for 160% of water attack damage and you have an absolutely absurd option applicable to almost every situation.

Aquamancer is currently in a really good spot. I dare say I wish all classes in the game were on the strength of Aquamancer where it is strong, but not broken, absurd, or unfair. Save dancing water, in its current iteration it isn't fair.

I'd love to see tentacles go back to only being able to attack on flooded water/dark water tiles. This forces AQ players to once again think about how the fight will go and where they wish to employ area denial again. The tentacles retain their strength, but now it is much more of an investment to pull off, and the AQ player can't just slap two of them right next to you and ruin your dreams.
[-] The following 3 users Like Red Witch's post:
  • Miller, Pyro, Snake