Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Soldier Skills
I think the base soldier skills are quite old, and since GR2, their reliability has been nullified by the vast majority of hits in the game requiring hit to actually pull off now. 

I think a small general numbers buff along with some utilities could help spice them up and bring them into a new light, I know DH sorta limits what you can do with these skills so I've tried my best to constrain my own suggestions within what Reaver Stance is capable of. 

My suggestions don't have to be taken exactly but I thought it'd be fun/practical to share what I think they could be.

Quote:Thousand Stab:
-Deals 80/85/90/95/100% Scaled Weapon ATK
-Elemental damage changed to 25% of elemental ATK instead of 5.
-If no enchant is present, increases Scaled Weapon ATK ratio by 30% and increases multihit count to 6

Quote:Turnover:
-Deals 110/115/120/125/130% SWA damage
-Can now be used if an enemy is behind you, doing so will deal blunt damage equal to half of Turnover's damage and knock them to the side 1 tile, and knock down both enemies.

Quote:Roundtrip
-Deals 110/115/120/125/130% SWA damage
-Inflicts 1/2/3/4/5 Wear Down per successive hit for 3 rounds, max stacks: 4
-Now uses weapon damage type

Quote:Mad Chop
-2 Round cooldown
-Max rank changed to 3
-Changed to be a basic attack, amount of attacks is dependant on missing HP (same as current), uses the rounds system so on-hits don't go crazy.
-Total damage is increased by 0.5% per 1% HP you are missing, capping out at 30% extra damage (40% HP)
-Charge effect unchanged

Quote:Incise:
SWA increased to 90/95/100/105/110%

Quote:Execute:

-Missing Health damage changed to increased damage based on missing health, 1% extra damage per 1% missing HP

Quote:Retreating Swipe:
-SWA increased to 110/115/120/125/130% SWA damage
-Does not trigger counter attack skills when used.
[-] The following 3 users Like Autumn's post:
  • K Peculier, Snake, SpaceShibe
I had an entire document about the problems with Soldier / Things I find Bad about it. Everything Sword related is good. Literally every other weapon type is bad.

Shinken - Perfectly fine. Reasonable even. Let's not touch this outside of making it's elemental impacts better for ice/fire.

Thousand Stab - Apparently it's a multi-hit and evade ignore. It's elemental impacts suck ass and do fuckall.

Turnover - It's.. useful? It's lost a lot of usefulness as of Korvara unless you're a class/race that can make objects to smash people into. It's Excel Crash (charge?) doesn't synergize with anything in it's own class(es) outside of hanging shenanigans. Why are they airborne! Dev says it's because Soaring Spear. I say.. No!!!

Roundtrip - Got nerfed and does really bad damage now. Multihit, so kind of OK? Earth is the best one since the changes.

Mad Chop - Got nerfed, it's really only useful for building claret call due to it being multi-hit. Except the Charge removes it's Multi Hit functionality.

Incise - One of the Non-Release Soldier Skills. Actually very nice. It's elemental impacts are pretty good (Slow is kind of bad on ice). Reduced momentum cost on daggers makes it the only skill that can ACTUALLY be used with a dagger from Soldier.

Execute - All of it's elemental impacts suck bar Lightning. But Lightning can't save this. It's 34 FP, requires KD (and cures it), does 150% SWA (which is about as much damage as a 100% SWA+ 120% Elemental Attack attack).. and gets +25% Missing HP (Up to +100 damage) which requires the target to be missing 400 hp.

Retreating Swipe - Decent AoE, Good SWA scaling, Elemental Impacts suffer the exact same problem as every other elemental impact (Fire/Ice/earth sucks. Wind is good, and Lightning can be good). Costs a lot, but is an AoE. Still costs less than Mad Chop.

Protect - Literally doesn't work 90% of the time. Could be made to be just.. a stance that functions like Sacrifice for a target or something. Iunno.

Watchful Eye - Good.

Enchant Shield - Only useful for Mages, Mage Allies who bought all the enchants, and maybe :tm: Demon Hunter Main Class nerds

Bash - Good. Better with Charge

Charge - Needs some help, but good. It's interactions with Charging Strike don't work if you don't end within 3 tiles of an enemy (including KO'd enemies)

Weapon Discipline - Literally such a nothing skill unless you're also bard. In which case, this skill is godly.

Charging Strike - I really wish this was a 1 SP ability, or just built into Charge itself.

Flatfoot - Good!

Tenacity - Free HP is good.

Fortitude - Free HP is good.

Bulwark - Very good, on par with all of the other main class stuff other classes got during the Main Class update all classes got initially. Except Curate. Curate got scammed.
I agree with like 95% of the assessment here in Rendar's post, but I want to add a bit of context to the Execute skill's Impact stuff. All of them are bad with exception of Fire's-- because Nerhaven on Execute actually has a very unexpected benefit that I didn't anticipate, in that it leaves 100% fire attack cinders-- AKA, the same kind of cinders that old Sear left. That means if the turn ticks over before they get to move out of the cinders, they can take like 80+ extra damage for free.

Still a lot of setup for a meh payoff, and the other Impact stuff for it (looking at you especially, Ice) is garbage.

As for the OP, these seem like decent changes with exception to Mad Chop. I really don't want to see myself taking 600 damage from crit-spam mad chop.
Giving crit to mad chop would be kinda baller. If the bonus was much lower, like max 30% at 40% hp, it would not be as crazy but still a banger skill.

I don't think giving straight up 10 wear down is fair for round trip, that is already a decent skill. Tiny boost in damage is gonna be fine imo. Maybe an extra tile of pull.

Rest looks nice
I've adjusted it because 60% on a basic attack from a base soldier skill would be too much yeah. I also edited roundtrip a tiny bit, but I think it shredding armor is just thematic and it doesn't need much else than that.
Battlepick mains in shambles
(10-17-2023, 07:48 PM)Poruku Wrote: Battlepick mains in shambles

I have a feeling you're messing around mostly, but to clarify, overlap with those items already exists in the likes of DH or Firebird, as well as within Arbalest which has the ability to remove all the armor you'd need, further de-emphasizing how good Knightslayer could be. That doesn't mean it doesn't see use though, I think the 0.5 battlepick mains will be happy with mad chop still.
For sure. But yeah 20 wear down from the base item is enough to remove 100% of the armor of 95% of enemies. Nobody's using pretty much any of those aside from fuuma tho, I'm mostly memeing around
My hot take on some of those, ma!

Thousand Stabs, Turnover, Retreating Swipe are all gooci.

Quote:Roundtrip
- The closest enemy in the line of effectiveness will be dragged along the ride, as the axe returns to you.

Quote:Mad Chop
- The skill's damage ignores protection, but deals kickback damage at you. (This happens in opposite of the damage bonus, the less HP you have, the less kickback damage you take. 1.5% less damage per 1% missing HP, to a minimum of 5 damage).
- Each strike can critically hit, dealing bonus damage. This will also activate On-Critical effects, such as Fleur or weapon effects, but only once.

Quote:Incise
- Becomes a basic attack with Sword/Axe/Spear, that deals only 25% of the original damage.
- Charging Incise: The momentum of the charge drives both you and your opponent off-balance. Inflicts Flatfoot and Slow LV5 on both you and your opponent, until your next round.

Quote:Execute
- Deals 1% more damage per 1% missing HP (agreed with OP).
- If the enemy is under 25% HP, the damage ignores protection and they take 50% of their current HP as bonus damage.
- Charging Execute: You leap and cleave down the enemy, gaining Great Accuracy and ignoring the knockdown requirement. Then, you will inflict knocked down on the target. (This will put the skill in a 5 round cooldown, if it does not kill the target.)
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]