Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLOSED - A Spooktacular Game of Mafia
Brick 
Tis the season of frights, dreadful schemes, and/or pure delights. So what better way to celebrate Halloween than a game of betrayal, deception, and triumph? I propose to run a modified forum game of mafia/werewolf/etc with SL2 inspired roles flavored as a masquerade at a spooky manor.

Possible failure to launch.
If this isn’t the place for such a game, if there is no or not enough interest, or if Dev/admins forbid or hate such an idea; I will ask the thread to be closed/deleted and provide my work by request. Needless to say there are many reasons why the game may fail before it begins. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

General Game Outline

Setup
If there are enough signups by the deadline, I will make a post here and privately pm everyone their role/ability/team. If you have any questions or need clarification do not hesitate to pm me. Roles will be based on the various subclasses of SL2!

Members of the mafia will know who each other are, but members of the town will only know that they are town. For every 4 people one of them will be a member of the mafia making the ratio 3:1.

Players may pm me at any time should they need any clarification on their role/abilities.

Basic Guidelines
First and foremost follow forum guidelines.
Only 1 slot per player not per account.
Do not discuss your roles/abilities to other players outside the game without prior consent.
While you are encouraged to deceive your fellow players please remain respectful of each other.
Stay active! You don’t need to lead discussions or make a million posts, but please post at least once during each day phase.

Signup Time Window - Signup Will End 5pm CST on the 27th

Gameplay
The game has two alternating phases Day and Night. Each phase will have a timer / end date so players will know when they need to post / pm me by. Each phase length will largely depend on # of alive players / player activity. 24 - 72 hrs is roughly what I'm thinking until I get a better feel for participation. At the end of every phase I will post a minor fluff piece of events that took place and reveal the identity of eliminated players.

Day
The day phase will open after I post a fluff piece of the events during the night. (Roles may be hinted at, but players will not be named unless they are eliminated.) Once the thread is open, alive players may post to RP, vote, discuss, speculate, point fingers, cast doubt, or cast suspicion on their fellow players. 

During the day players may vote for individuals they want to see eliminated. If you wish to vote someone please annotate it as clear as possible; see below.
Quote:"You will not apply my precept," he said, shaking his head. "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door, the window, or the chimney. We also know that he could not have been concealed in the room, as there is no concealment possible. When, then, did he come?"

Vote: STrouble

The player who receives the simple majority of the votes of alive players may be eliminated at the end of the phase. Players may opt not to vote. In the event of a tie no one will be eliminated and the next phase of the game will begin.

Night
During the Night Phase: no one may post in the forum; barring any unforeseen circumstances. Players with active abilities may pm me to use their abilities. Abilities may be as simple as choosing players to damage, protect, or heal.

Elimination
Players who are eliminated will have their role/ability/team revealed at the end of the current day/night cycle. Players may be eliminated by taking damage from abilities or be eliminated by vote during the day. Players who have been eliminated may no longer post until the end of the game.

Winning The Game
Town wins when they successfully eliminate all members of the mafia.
The mafia wins when they make up at least half of the alive players.

FAQ

Q: How many players can play?
A: At minimum I am looking for 10 players, at most 16.

Q: How do I sign up?
A: Simply make a post below saying you'd like to sign up.

Q: I’ve never done this before. What do I do?
A: If you are town, try to determine who mafia is and try to eliminate them. If you are Mafia try to eliminate everyone else.

Q: Can I change my vote during the day or target during the night?
A: Yes, as long as you do so before the end of the day/night.

Q: Is Roleplay required?
A: No, while it is encouraged feel free to keep your posts on the game rather than the flavor.

Q: Who can I roleplay as?
A: Almost anyone. You can use one of your characters, yourself, or you can invent a new identity altogether.  Want to RP as Flourence de Byrde based loosely on a single image of a bird masquerade mask? Go nuts!

Q: Can I roleplay one of my characters that has died (not during the game)?
A: Yes, the game takes place in a non-canonical space/time

Q: Is the game taking place in Korvana or G6?
A: Neither, the game takes place in a non-canonical space/time

Q: Can I use someone else’s character?
A: No. Though It really isn’t my place to say.

Q: Why doesn’t my ability perfectly match the abilities in game?
A: While writing abilities, I realized it was better to simplify them than trying to meticulously translate them into this style of game.

Q: Why didn’t my ability / vote work?
A: Certain abilities may affect your ability to vote or may interact with your ability. You may be notified that your ability has failed, but never why until the end of the game.

Q: Why? Just Why?
A: Because I wanted to try, and I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I didn't.

Have a question? Feel free to ask.
It's vampires all the way down.
Wowza, not even a single reply. That's alright, I knew the risks. It would be much easier to run the game in discord over an hour or two tops. Not to mention this spooky season already seems filled to the brim with in game events. Even a masquerade event! Something I didn't realize until after I started work on this. Hindsight is 20/20. I'm going to post a fluff piece and then post the roles below that. Might still make for an interesting game someday!  Might not!

The masked woman held her breath as the clock chimed the final hour. She wore a silver mask adorned with a slick red gem in its center. It obscured her sight making the dim foyer she stood in feel infinitely bigger. She folded her hands in front of her and waited, far too anxious for someone alone. Once the echoes of the clock faded, she relented and recited the opening of the event aloud. 
_
[Image: Spook-alt.png]
_
She exhaled, a weight lifted from her shoulders. A performance that once was held captive in her chest was delivered to the freedom waiting in open air. She held her hand over her beating heart. "Even with naught, but shadows-." She paused abruptly. "There is no reason to stay in character any further." She reached up and gingerly removed the mask from her head. Her sight restored she let the mask carelessly clatter to the floor. "Perhaps someone will eventually find use for this space, but I am uncertain I will find the way back here." After a moment of silent contemplation, her footsteps echoed in the dark. The final noise of the night was the sound of a large door creaking, sealing shut.

That's right! A sonnet! In Iambic Pentameter no less!  I couldn't figure out how to create a block text in line with an image in BBcode, so I improvised. Anyways here's the roles below. I stopped around 12, because it there were no posts after the first day. Some are more polished than others.

Hexer - Town Wrote:Negative Energy Conduit - Passive
The first player to vote for you during each Day Phase becomes cursed and may have their next use of their ability fail. The more people vote for you, the stronger the curse becomes and the greater likelihood their ability will fail. The curse ends when their ability fails. Multiple players may be cursed at a time. You must be alive for your ability to function.
"That's what you get for voting for me!"

Dancer - Town Wrote:Dubious Dosey Do! Aka The Treacherous Tango - Active
During the Night Phase target another player. During this night phase any ability that targets them instead targets you, and any ability that targets you targets them instead. You cannot pick the same player two Night Phases in a row.
“I’ll lead, try not to step on my toes.”

Black Knight - Town Wrote:Sente and Gote - Active
During the Night Phase target another player, they are protected from other players’ abilities during this phase. You may not select the same player two Night Phases in a Row. 
"Four in a Row! Where? There diagonally. Wait"

Aquamancer - Mafia Wrote:Drown Them Out
During the Night Phase target another player. During the next Day Phase that player’s vote will not count.
“Pardon? That was a little gargled.”

Spellthief - Town Wrote:Slippery Schemer - Passive/Active
The First Ability to target you fails and you gain a single use of that ability. Once you use that ability it’s gone. Slippery Schemer will reset once you use the stored ability and a Day and Night Phase have passed.
“Watch out! I’m right behind you!”

Tactician - Town Wrote:Double Take - Active
During the Night Phase target another player, if possible they will gain another use of their ability during the next phase. They will be notified of this, but not why. Otherwise the ability fails. You may not target the same player twice.
“Once more with feeling!”

Engineer - Town Wrote:Surveillance Equipment - Active
During the Night Phase target a player, you will be notified who they target during this phase. You may not target the same player two Night Phases in a row.
“So that’s what you were up to.”

Evoker - Mafia Wrote:Infernal Invocation - Active
During the Night Phase target another player. At the end of the next Night Phase your ability will trigger, as long as you did not select another player or the player has been eliminated. Once your ability triggers, that player will be eliminated.
Every other night starting with the second night phase, target a player. That player will be eliminated.
“Judgmental thunder, turn power into pain...”

Ghost - Town Wrote:Extra Life - Passive
The first time you would be eliminated, you are not eliminated.
I won’t die, even if you kill me!

Grand Summoner - Town Wrote:Voice of Many - Active/Passive
Each Day Phase you gain an additional vote. You may stockpile votes gained this way, total number not exceeding the number of half (rounded up) of the alive players. To use these votes privately message the GM during the day, specifying who and how many. Votes used this way are lost.
“It’s only fair that each of us get a vote.”

Monk - Town Wrote:Body of Isesip - Active
During the Night Phase you may choose to become immune to all abilities. If you do so, you may not speak or vote during the next day phase. You may still be eliminated by vote.
"I wasn't sleeping, I was meditating."

Magic Gunner - Mafia Wrote:Itchy Trigger Finger - Reactive
During the Night Phase you will be notified the first time you’ve been targeted by an ability, at this time you may choose to eliminate that player or let their ability go through. If you eliminate the player your ability will be spent until after the end of the next Night Phase.
“Right between the eyes!”

It would have been relatively easier to give each role a damaging ability, but at that point you might as well start factoring in number of lives/HP, and while do-able, it would be needlessly complex and against the intended spirit. 
It's vampires all the way down.