Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bonus Bloodshed: Not So Stylish
Simple change and buff that would legitimately make this worth being a main class skill:

Change it so it applies on changing to Reaver stance, that's it. It can keep the 1 round duration.

Demon Hunter as it stands has no reason to be main classed. It's soldier Main Class skills doesn't further it's style like it does with Black Knight(Tactician is more supportive of a class, so I don't count it. Especially since it also has interaction with Black Knight via Grandmaster).

I think something as simple as gaining an elemental enchant on Reaver wouldn't be the end all be all. You're already spending 2 SPs(1 if you can afford the skill slot) in a SP heavy class for this.

Edit: I'd also like to note that the enchant is level 1, and doesn't trigger if you have a badge on. I think it'd add to the power of a main class skill a bit more if it could trigger with a badge or an enchant active, to switch between elements. Or for the enchant to be higher than level 1.
I forgot my last account's password. Oops.
[-] The following 7 users Like SpaceShibe's post:
  • Balor, Fern, K Peculier, Poruku, Pyro, Snake, the homestuck man himself
At that point it might as well be permanent, which I would agree with
[-] The following 1 user Likes Poruku's post:
  • Pyro
Bonus Bloodshed could be much more. Honestly, being a Main Class-only skill should be enough justification to make it a little more powerful. The way it works right now is just outright boring and practically useless in real combat, because nine times out of ten, ending in Reaver will leave you wide open for counter-attack, since getting bonus SWA does /nothing/ to help you survive when your turn is over.

Something that could be cool for it? If Bonus Bloodshed swapped to the enemy's equivalent of elemental weakness for its impact, whenever attacking them. It'd give the feeling of "gunning for that bonus damage on the foe", while giving the chance to exploit weaknesses or openings.

I'd rework it briefly into the following:

- Bonus Bloodshed requires you to start your round in Reaver Stance.
- Once Bonus Bloodshed is active, you will attempt to counter-attack enemies that attack you in melee range, with a penalty to Hit. This can only happen once per enemy.
- If you successfully counter-attack one enemy and hit them, you mark them with 'Tagged For Bloodshed LV6' for 2 rounds (This will be refreshed if the counter-attack happens again).
- Whenever you damage this enemy, you gain a specific enchantment until your next round, relative to their lowest Elemental Resistance. (Nerhaven for Fire Weakness, Kraken for Ice Weakness, etc.)
- Upon being damaged by a Demon Hunter who tagged them, the LV of 'Tagged For Bloodshed' will drop by 1. Once the LV is 0, the mark explodes, dealing damage equal to 15% of their maximum HP as their lowest Elemental Resistance.

So practically speaking:

- Demon Hunter starts Bonus Bloodshed.
- Goblin hits Demon Hunter. Demon Hunter counter-attacks, marking Goblin.
- Demon Hunter attacks Goblin. Demon Hunter gains Nerhaven until their next round.
- Demon Hunter attacks Goblin multiple times, lowering the Tagged For Bloodshed to LV0.
- Goblin explodes like a rune, taking 15% of their max. HP as fire damage.
- Demon Hunter bows. GG easy.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
(10-28-2023, 01:21 PM)Snake Wrote: Bonus Bloodshed could be much more. Honestly, being a Main Class-only skill should be enough justification to make it a little more powerful. The way it works right now is just outright boring and practically useless in real combat, because nine times out of ten, ending in Reaver will leave you wide open for counter-attack, since getting bonus SWA does /nothing/ to help you survive when your turn is over.

Something that could be cool for it? If Bonus Bloodshed swapped to the enemy's equivalent of elemental weakness for its impact, whenever attacking them. It'd give the feeling of "gunning for that bonus damage on the foe", while giving the chance to exploit weaknesses or openings.

I'd rework it briefly into the following:

- Bonus Bloodshed requires you to start your round in Reaver Stance.
- Once Bonus Bloodshed is active, you will attempt to counter-attack enemies that attack you in melee range, with a penalty to Hit. This can only happen once per enemy.
- If you successfully counter-attack one enemy and hit them, you mark them with 'Tagged For Bloodshed LV6' for 2 rounds (This will be refreshed if the counter-attack happens again).
- Whenever you damage this enemy, you gain a specific enchantment until your next round, relative to their lowest Elemental Resistance. (Nerhaven for Fire Weakness, Kraken for Ice Weakness, etc.)
- Upon being damaged by a Demon Hunter who tagged them, the LV of 'Tagged For Bloodshed' will drop by 1. Once the LV is 0, the mark explodes, dealing damage equal to 15% of their maximum HP as their lowest Elemental Resistance.

So practically speaking:

- Demon Hunter starts Bonus Bloodshed.
- Goblin hits Demon Hunter. Demon Hunter counter-attacks, marking Goblin.
- Demon Hunter attacks Goblin. Demon Hunter gains Nerhaven until their next round.
- Demon Hunter attacks Goblin multiple times, lowering the Tagged For Bloodshed to LV0.
- Goblin explodes like a rune, taking 15% of their max. HP as fire damage.
- Demon Hunter bows. GG easy.

While incredibly cool and gimmicky in concept, I feel the conditions to activate it would be rather niche against melee attackers only, leaving those that use guns, bows, magic, etc. to render this kind of useless. It could be nice for a new skill entirely, but I'd rather Bonus Bloodshed be changed to just change to have the elemental enchant activate on Reaver shift for now- maybe give it a little bit more oomph like raising it's elemental enchant level to mage levels...

Auto-enchant already exists anyway. And that one isn't main class at all.
Yeah, maybe the solution should just be simpler.

I still think you could make it so no-starsign would shift the element type to a random one (and starsign doing that), and add (Demon Hunter LV) bonus elemental magic damage whenever you attack an enemy with any DH or Soldier skill based on the enchant's element.

Less gimmicky and more straight to the point for what this skill's best iteration would ever be.

Here's my final version idea, disconcerting the other:

Quote:Bonus Bloodshed

Turn slashing to style. Upon shifting to, or starting your round (excluding the start of battle) in Reaver Stance, gain a random Elemental Augment (or the element of your Starsign, if applicable) for 1 round.

While the Elemental Augment is active, Demon Hunter and Soldier offensive skills will deal protection-ignoring bonus elemental magic damage, equal to your Demon Hunter's class level.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake's post:
  • SpaceShibe
(10-30-2023, 06:23 PM)Snake Wrote: Yeah, maybe the solution should just be simpler.

I still think you could make it so no-starsign would shift the element type to a random one (and starsign doing that), and add (Demon Hunter LV) bonus elemental magic damage whenever you attack an enemy with any DH or Soldier skill based on the enchant's element.

Less gimmicky and more straight to the point for what this skill's best iteration would ever be.

Here's my final version idea, disconcerting the other:

Quote:Bonus Bloodshed

Turn slashing to style. Upon shifting to, or starting your round (excluding the start of battle) in Reaver Stance, gain a random Elemental Augment (or the element of your Starsign, if applicable) for 1 round.

While the Elemental Augment is active, Demon Hunter and Soldier offensive skills will deal protection-ignoring bonus elemental magic damage, equal to your Demon Hunter's class level.

This sounds more than reasonable to me! I'm cool with it being random element or based on starsign. 35-50 damage per offensive attack might be a little too much though, so maybe half of that instead? It's essentially Mage's Ele Augment but for all skills. That's, what, 5x35/50 per reaver combo? Definitely too strong.

If it has smaller numbers, I'd be all for it.
Half can be fine too, it's mainly to justify this being main class-only and comparable to stuff like Fleur.