Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The State of Level 80 Bosses
Hi.

You may know me as the person who runs Medis a lot. I enjoy the lvl 80 bosses quite a bit, more specifically the 'named' ones. Medis, Relei, Radigal. They present a difficult and worthy challenge for many players, especially solo runs of the bosses. With that new update in February, players have had a much more challenging, engaging, and rewarding experience in PvE content. Well, mostly.

The Lava Slime and the Shadow Guardian have very good reward pools proportionate to their challenge. Some might even say they're too easy for the drops they provide when farmed. These two bosses are perfectly fine in their current state rewards wise, and I would not be inclined to change them. However, that leaves the final big 3, the extra hard ones that present a much greater challenge for those to make and tailor their builds around, or push their current builds to the limit to strategize how to properly take them out before the boss wipes them off the board. It's fun, and it's been a breath of fresh air since the lvl 60 bosses are pushovers on the best of days.

Unfortunately, despite the challenge, the fun in fighting them, and the super cool unique enchanted items they can drop, the rewards are rather awful. Anyone who has run them more than 3-5 times knows that fighting the named 80 bosses for loot is just really not worth it, and going for certain enchanted items from them is like trying to win the lottery. To enforce this point, I have completed 101 solo runs of Medis, and 54 runs of Medis with others. In 155 completed attempts of Medis I have gotten two solid items to drop, and I have never seen a solid item drop for my allies in the runs with teammates. While my character may only have 11 luck, doing a 63 round fight to get 3 gold bars, a geode, an iceblood remains gauntlet, and a floating chorus just doesn't seem all that worth it.

My proposition is thus for the named 80 bosses. Either:

1. Make it so the bosses ALWAYS drop an enchanted item of their signature enchantment. Just 1 across a party.

or

2. Make it so the bosses ALWAYS drop an item that could have the enchantment. This would be a chest piece for Medis, gloves for Relei, and a weapon for Radigal. This lets you at least always have the chance of rolling into the enchantment from their pool, because right now, you have to roll to even get an item that could have a chase enchantment you're looking for.

These are two suggestions that I know would not be a nightmare to code like reworking the whole loot system would be. It would be a relatively easy tweak that makes it so these bosses are actually worth fighting beyond the fun aspect. Being fun can only get so far when there are much easier options to get loot that take a fraction of the effort.
[-] The following 7 users Like Red Witch's post:
  • caliaca, Fern, MothEnthusiast, sirtrex, Snake, Soul_Hacker, Trexmaster
Not to mention the time it takes waiting for them to even spawn in the first place. It takes about an hour for a boss to despawn and become spawnable again, the only difference at higher levels is how many ticks it takes to spawn, which for level 80 bosses takes about an extra 15 minutes (2 in game hours) since a complete dungeon wipe won't be enough ticks to make it spawn.

So you wait about an hour per fight (assuming you or someone else is clearing the dungeon of mobs), on top of the abysmal odds to get the unique drops you're likely looking for from the boss (let alone the desired drops from the generic drop pool).

I'd lean toward the first option considering how much garbage is in the pool already though option two should be the absolute minimum from these bosses.

I have many gripes about the current loot system but implementing the first option provided here would do wonders for the viability of fighting the new bosses for their unique drops even without any changes to the system as it is.
[-] The following 3 users Like Trexmaster's post:
  • caliaca, Red Witch, Snake
Yep. Do this. Please.
Yeah, I agree. I'd take something to have "Extreme" versions of these boss fights, where they're LV100 or something, but at least make it so after beating them, we get something that is not the usual 24 Murai and a thumbs up.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake's post:
  • sirtrex
Yeah, it's kinda sad how much less rewards we get in korvara compared to G6 overall, and these hard bosses are the epitome of high risk low reward
If I can fight 3 level 60 bosses solo in the time it takes me to fight one level 80 boss, in a group.

And I get 3 gold bars per level 60 boss (and at least 3-4 items guaranteed per).. and get 3-4 items and up to 4 gold bars for the level 80. Which is then split between all parties.

There might be a problem. These bosses are fun from an RP standpoint, but they're hard unless you hyper specialize to deal with them (See: have answers to deal with specific problems they present). They should have rewards of their own for the time you invest into the fight (and allow for non-hyper focused builds to beat them in a group, which makes it rewarding for first time clears) vs making them way harder and then making their drops worth it.

Basically. Just make their drops good, and then make more bosses down the line.
I think dev wanted to make hard content which is something we wanted, but the issue is that something being hard isn't much good if the rewards don't match up to the difficulty. Otherwise you're only going to do it for the challenge which isn't as fun and is a lot less common. If it's worth farming then people will do it no matter what.

To an extent the entire level 80 dungeons are much harder for no extra reward, it's a real shame. Only reason to venture there is to grab boulders in the maze
(And even then, we just flee from combat when boulder-grabbing because it's a waste of time to fight LV80 megabeefy mobs.)
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake's post:
  • MothEnthusiast